Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Internship: Choosing Between Options

Nepean vs Wollongong vs Campbelltown

Any insights into these hospitals? I know its hard to say one is better than another, since they all have their positives and negatives, was wondering if anyone had any information on what being an intern is like in any of these hospitals and what life is like in the surrounding area outside of hospital?

Would greatly appreciate any input!

Last edited by a moderator:

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
From an ex-MSO regular sent to me via a PM:

“So Nepean is lovely, it covers a huge region at the base of the blue mountains and has an extremely diverse demographic. It is also growing extremely rapidly so if you like O&G, you’re in the right place. They have a lot of really wonderful consultants but given it’s location, registrars have a tendency to only stay for a brief period. It’s not a great place to be at night, so I’m not sure how I would feel as a female getting to and from my car (USyd students have been mugged in broad daylight but this is a common concern around hospitals all over the country), the security are lovely though and always happy to take you to your car or the station. I think if you have a particular interest in endocrinology, respiratory, drug and alcohol and some surg specialties like urology then the teams are absolutely wonderful and would highly recommend. Generally Nepean is a great place to be but major drawback would have to be distance from the city (depending where you reside).”

From an ex-MSO regular sent to me via a PM:

“So Nepean is lovely, it covers a huge region at the base of the blue mountains and has an extremely diverse demographic. It is also growing extremely rapidly so if you like O&G, you’re in the right place. They have a lot of really wonderful consultants but given it’s location, registrars have a tendency to only stay for a brief period. It’s not a great place to be at night, so I’m not sure how I would feel as a female getting to and from my car (USyd students have been mugged in broad daylight but this is a common concern around hospitals all over the country), the security are lovely though and always happy to take you to your car or the station. I think if you have a particular interest in endocrinology, respiratory, drug and alcohol and some surg specialties like urology then the teams are absolutely wonderful and would highly recommend. Generally Nepean is a great place to be but major drawback would have to be distance from the city (depending where you reside).”

Thank you, any idea how it is for Neurology?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
From another source:

“Ctown neuro has good consultant involvement with students and will try to get interns involved too.”
“Like presenting at neuro department meetings.”
“I forget how big the ward is but I think a shared neuro onc ward of about 30 is right.”

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads