• Happy holidays to all on MSO! Recently the staff team have noticed a lot of requests for users to PM them with advice and answers to questions. We kindly ask that these requests and answers are posted publicly on the forum wherever possible, unless it is a personal matter that you aren't comfortable discussing publicly. This allows all users to benefit from the advice as opposed to select individuals, and it also saves the repetition of the same advice multiple times. Cheers!
  • UAC releases their offers at 7am on the 8th of January 2021! For those fortunate enough to receive an offer, congratulations! Please post your details here in the 2021 Entry Collated Data thread.

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

sjj

Home state: New Zealand
Offer 1:
Griffith Dent
Offer 2: Latrobe Dent
Any scholarships offered: No
Any accommodation secured:
No accomodation yet
Internship location preference:
Other important information:
Better teaching environment, good facilities.. ( I am aware that Griffith Dent is a lot more expensive because of Master but how much more? I can't decide between these two!!

LMG!

MBBS IV
Administrator
Offer 1:
Griffith Dent
No accomodation yet
Better teaching environment, good facilities.. ( I am aware that Griffith Dent is a lot more expensive because of Master but how much more? I can't decide between these two!!

This thread has some stuff you could read through, plus this info put together a while ago by Mana.

Plus anything Unluckydude and Cal can add.

"By request here is a similar list of Australian dental schools for a year 12. Note that there is no internship requirement for dental graduates so the state you graduate doesn't determine the state you work in once you do. All the undergrad dentistry is 5 years also, so less need to worry about duration (provisional of course is longer.)

1. Whatever is the most CSP (basically - CSP is better than CSP + FFP like Griffith which is better than completely FFP)... other than provisional courses - more on this soon
2. Whatever is in your current city if applicable
3. Whichever is not provisional/non-guaranteed (UMelb/USyd/UWA are provisional)
4. University of Queensland
5. University of Adelaide
6. Charles Sturt University
7. La Trobe University
8. James Cook University
9. Griffith University
10. University of Sydney provisional
11. University of Melbourne provisional
12. University of Western Australia

The reason I have placed Griffith over the provisional courses is because 5 years of fees there comes out to around 150k and then you get two years of dental salary (around 80k/yr - you'd already have almost broken even after tax) whereas 7 years of fees at a provisional pathway comes out to roughly 80k in debt and no full time income yet.

Conversely, a graduate entry dental student's preferences list would strongly preference the 4 year graduate entry courses over the 5 year undergraduate ones."

sjj

Hey guys, I got into Griffith dent and Latrobe dent but I actually want to get into UQ dent. Do you think I should reject Griffith(1st preference) to be considered for UQ dent(2nd preference) second round? My UCAT is bad but my GPA is 7. Do I have a chance of UQ dent? I want to study in Gold Coast but Griffith is quite costly. Thanks !

tksm

Hey guys, I got into Griffith dent and Latrobe dent but I actually want to get into UQ dent. Do you think I should reject Griffith(1st preference) to be considered for UQ dent(2nd preference) second round? My UCAT is bad but my GPA is 7. Do I have a chance of UQ dent? I want to study in Gold Coast but Griffith is quite costly. Thanks !
You don't need to reject your griffith offer - you can shuffle the UQ one to first preference and wait it out for the next offer round. If you leave it in 2nd place then you won't be considered for it (as you already received your first pref).

(on a side note, if you decide you 100% don't want to go to Griffith, pls decline your offer... I would really appreciate a top-up spot :3)

Unluckydude

Offer 1:
Griffith Dent
No accomodation yet
Congratulations. Am I correct in saying that you guys can get CSP but not HECS? Is there a similar NZ loan scheme you can apply for to cover your tuition fee in Australia?

CSP (first 3 years) Griffith dent is about 100K more expensive than Latrobe dent. But if were from a third state/country, I would choose Griffith mainly because Griffith has their own dental hospital whereas Latrobe sends their students to some very small public clinics in some of the most rural places in Victoria for clinical placements. Gold coast is also a much better place to live. It's a medium-sized city (population = 540,000) with good whether and attractive tourist sites. Griffith also has a relatively big campus (21,000 students) in Gold coast. Latrobe Bendigo is a much smaller campus (4000 students) in a much smaller town (120,000 residents). The CBD is like the commercial district of an urban suburb where you can drive through the whole CBD in 5 mins. If you can, visit both places and you'll understand what I mean. Additionally, it is easier to find a dent job in Queensland and the salary is likely going to be higher than that in Vic.