Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Choosing Between Offers: Dentistry

Luken

Lurker
I've gotten two offers for dentistry which is great but it means that I have to choose.

If you had to choose, which would you go to and why?

Currently, I feel like Adelaide is the 'right' choice due to easier location, the nice AHMS building and good rep as a dental school. But weirdly, I'm just really drawn to CSU- it was my first choice. I don't know why, but CSU just seems like a nice place to be?o_O

If there are any CSU or Adelaide students on here, I would love to know more about the course itself:
- What was first year like?
- What are the things you enjoy most about the teaching method/course structure?
- What are the things that you dislike about the teaching method/course structure?
- What is the fail rate like? (Especially for Adelaide, it seems like a lot of people say the fail rate is high and thus not to go there if you have another offer.)

Sorry if the questions are a little open ended, but anything anyone has to contribute, I will read with utmost appreciation. ;)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I've gotten two offers for dentistry which is great but it means that I have to choose.

Currently, I feel like Adelaide is the 'right' choice due to easier location, the nice AHMS building and good rep as a dental school. But weirdly, I'm just really drawn to CSU- it was my first choice. I don't know why, but CSU just seems like a nice place to be?o_O

If there are any CSU or Adelaide students on here, I would love to know more about the course itself:
- What are the things you enjoy most about the teaching method/course structure?
- What are the things that you dislike about the teaching method/course structure?
- What is the fail rate like? (Especially for Adelaide, it seems like a lot of people say the fail rate is high and thus not to go there if you have another offer.)

Sorry if the questions are a little open ended, but anything anyone has to contribute, I will read with utmost appreciation. ;)

The fail rate has previously been relatively high for UofA Medicine. I’m not sure if we have the same data for Dentistry.

ETA: Will you have to move to attend both universities? Or could you avoid a move if you chose one over the other?

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
The fail rate in Adelaide's dental course is at least comparable to that to of it's medicine course. I don't have any hard or fast numbers on this, however.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
The fail rate in Adelaide's dental course is at least comparable to that to of it's medicine course. I don't have any hard or fast numbers on this, however.

Just to clarify, you mean you’ve seen data to suggest their Dent fail rate is disproportionately elevated to a similar degree as their Med fail rate? (Or at least was according to that data set from ?2016)

Luken

Lurker
ETA: Will you have to move to attend both universities? Or could you avoid a move if you chose one over the other?
I will have to move state regardless of which I chose.

By the way, would you know if there is a reason that Adelaide's med fail rate is so high? Hopefully it isn't something that will be true of dentistry too. Haha I'm quite concerned about the fail rate but perhaps it is overall not as large a problem as I am perceiving.

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Just to clarify, you mean you’ve seen data to suggest their Dent fail rate is disproportionately elevated to a similar degree as their Med fail rate? (Or at least was according to that data set from ?2016)

No data - just observation of the dental cohort which I knew back in the day.

Hey Luken!

I am actually in the same position as you - well I was. I had both offers but after talking to some current students and alumnus from both universities, I decided to choose Adelaide.

Apart from hearing that a number of people do fail at UofA, I have heard that failing at CSU is also not uncommon. However, this was not my main concern. When speaking to a friend who is currently studying at CSU, she mentioned that there were major changes going on within the faculty regarding to course structures, lecturers and curriculum. She made clear that these changes were really affecting her performance and led to the increase of fail rates within the cohorts. She also insisted that I take the UofA offer (lol).

Apart from the academic aspects, Adelaide seems like there are more options in terms of social life and a greater amount of people to meet and choose your friends from. Since the CSU Orange campus only has ~400 people, it can be a little like being at high school, but if that is something you like then definitely don't let it influence your decision.
For me personally, a city environment is more appealing just because I feel I would have more freedom.
(plus its probably easier to get a casual/part-time job in Adelaide if that's your kinda thing)

Fail rates at Adelaide vary between years of the degree and cohort - so out of the original 70 people in my year group - 9 or so of them have failed across the first 3 years of the degree (2 more to go, but there's generally lower fail rates in the older years of the degree).
Generally the numbers of students that fail per year are 4/5 out of a class of 70+ (except one extraordinary year 12 people failed second year - never seen anything like it again).

As for comparison to the CSU curriculum where changes are making things more difficult ... I believe they're happening at multiple dental schools, Adelaide included :/
Some changes have occurred in the curriculum that students disagree with but overall I don't think -from a personal perspective- our performance has been greatly affected. Like our move to the AHMS - while it seems like a 'nice building', it's actually really inconvenient for everyone (students, patients and tutors).

Ultimately whether you choose CSU or Adelaide you won't be making any wrong decisions :) , it'll be your approach to the curriculum and further learning habits that will really define your experience in dental school more than anything.

Luken

Lurker
Thanks for the insight Oxymandias and Look@meimBellaG! It's made me think about things a little differently. Like considering overall uni experience with campus life and all that. But I think you're right, that ultimately approach will define how you do. :)

ed88

Hi! I'm in a really similar situation to you, I've got offers from UADEL, UQ and CSU, at this point I'm going to UQ due to the flexible timetable, course structure, academics etc. I spent an hour on the phone to a 4th year student at CSU who said the course is really getting hit hard with resource and funding cuts with all of the major academic staff leaving which has really disrupted his study. He also said on a student services point of view its very difficult to get clear communication as the course director isn't even in the dental faculty! I'm from NSW so CSU was the clear choice but he told me not to pick just due to convenience. Adelaide looks like a fab course and the facilities are amazing, just for me UQ is closer and i know more people in the city

laerla

Hi! I'm in a really similar situation to you, I've got offers from UADEL, UQ and CSU, at this point I'm going to UQ due to the flexible timetable, course structure, academics etc. I spent an hour on the phone to a 4th year student at CSU who said the course is really getting hit hard with resource and funding cuts with all of the major academic staff leaving which has really disrupted his study. He also said on a student services point of view its very difficult to get clear communication as the course director isn't even in the dental faculty! I'm from NSW so CSU was the clear choice but he told me not to pick just due to convenience. Adelaide looks like a fab course and the facilities are amazing, just for me UQ is closer and i know more people in the city

Same thing happening with UQ

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi Guys, is possible to transfer from a medical science degree into an oral health degree or something similar.
Yes, depending on the specific university you wish to transfer within/to and your GPA. If you mention the university/universities you wish to do the oral health degree at then I'm sure someone could give you more specific advice.

PositiveIntent

DDest's Best Mate
<< Adelaide 1st yr and almost 1 semester in
  • Something I appreciate is the amount of clinical work you do in 1st year. Lots of skills involving manual dexterity already such as handling mirrors and perioprobes
  • If you have a bio background, 1st sem is gonna be a breeze with all the basic sciences
  • All lectures recorded online for reference
  • Most days start at 9am
  • Having both a "clinic" course where we practice on each other and a "simulation clinic" course where we learn things for clinic
  • Almost all classes and dates published well in advance on a calendar (but can be subject to change at anytime)
  • Dedicated/scheduled self/group studying time
  • Small group tutorials for practical application of knowledge
  • Dedicated open sessions for bio concepts where tutors, paper resources, and diagrams/images are available for you to consult and you work through a handout at your own pace
  • SWOTVAC - Didn't have this back in Canada.
  • Not applicable for me, but I've observed many people skipping consecutive lectures because of how easy it is to access online afterwards. I really can't say much though since I occasionally skip for work
  • Some students' learning styles may not mesh well with certain tutors' teaching styles but this is going to happen regardless of wherever you go
  • From tales of previous cohort, the numbers seem pretty regular based on what I saw previously in some Canadian professional programs
  • You can fail if your clinic skills are insufficient.
  • My personal perspective based on the assessments we've had so far is that all testable material was found in lecture or handout and associated with a learning outcome. Therefore, testing seems fair and the only way you'll fail academically is if you skip and cram.

___

Lurker

Hi Luken,

Are you able to share what you ended up choosing, why and how it went? I've recieved the same offers, so your advice would be very much appreciated.

jj14

Lurker
Hey, I got offered for dental at CSU Orange (Bachelor of Dental Science) and La Trobe Bendigo (Bachelor of Health Science/Master of Dentistry). I am having trouble deciding which uni is better for me. Does anyone have any insight into what uni is better or if anyone has been to the uni's what is the pros and cons of both? Also their course names are different so do they have different qualifications in the end, or will one be easier to get accredited by Dental College of Australia?

blues10

Lurker
I'd assume both universities are quite similar - both being rural. However, I think LTU gives its students more clinical exposure earlier on, pretty much during week 1 of first year you begin to learn how to use your instruments, and in week 2 you're already learning how to do fissure sealants. I believe CSU doesn't introduce these skills until later on in the course.
Even though the name of LTU's course is different, you graduate with the same credentials and are no less qualified than someone who graduates with a 'bachelor of dental science' from another uni.

Since I'm a LTU student I can only tell you the pros and cons of it, I don't know much about CSU dent.
Pros:
- small cohort size, everyone is very close and friendly; seniors are very helpful and are more than happy to help you with assessments, sharing notes around etc
- early clinical exposure; first years learn how to take bitewings, PAs, as well as fillings, periodontal instrumentation, GIC, hall crown + more!
- good study environment, since it's in rural victoria, there it's very quiet and peaceful in bendigo
- pretty good student life, lots of events for dental students that help you get to other people in your year we have the standard balls, cocktails etc. lots of events, but not too much that it takes away from study time.
- little contact hours; first year sem 1 was about 15-18?... sem 2 was less since a subject was taught online so there were only about ~12, some weeks you could literally only go to uni for 1 and a half days if you skipped lectures.

Cons:
- i guess teaching quality isnt PHENOMENAL but it's adequate and they teach you enough to pass assessments
- some people find bendigo a bit lonely since it's a bit isolated and there aren't too many places to visit so it can be a little suffocating being there 24/7
- pretty small campus and sim labs are a bit small compared to other larger universities
- some disorganisation with subjects but they're always seeking feedback to improve the quality so i don't think its too big of a con

ucatsyd

I've received an offer for both Adelaide dent and Queensland dent, and I'm trying to decide between the two. I'm slightly leaning towards Adelaide but I was wondering what would be your advice? and whether anyone was in the same boat?