• UAC releases their offers at 7am on the 8th of January 2021! For those fortunate enough to receive an offer, congratulations! Please post your details here in the 2021 Entry Collated Data thread.
  • Happy holidays to all on MSO! Recently the staff team have noticed a lot of requests for users to PM them with advice and answers to questions. We kindly ask that these requests and answers are posted publicly on the forum wherever possible, unless it is a personal matter that you aren't comfortable discussing publicly. This allows all users to benefit from the advice as opposed to select individuals, and it also saves the repetition of the same advice multiple times. Cheers!

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Choosing Between Universities and Offers

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
You will find enough friends in Adelaide to move in with, although going to UQ because it’s easier on your social life is definitely a valid reason

It’s quite common for people to reapply nonstandard or graduate entry from UQ to other schools (particularly NSW ones) to be closer to home. If that’s something you want to do then the UQ program has the obvious benefit... the 1 year difference isnt that much

A1

Admissions Speculator
(today), Adelaide university sent me a CSP offer for their medical program, giving me only two days to accept.
Can someone please explain how Adelaide makes this pretty late top-up offer unbonded - i.e. it leapfrogs ~40 BMP places?

Given my situation, would you recommend that I proceed with my current plans, or should I cancel my UQ enrolment and sign up to Adelaide?
As already mentioned Adelaide is one year shorter. But given you're hoping to branch into a NSW school I would do UQ if I were you since Adelaide would shut out this avenue. (Btw I'm not mad keen on locking myself to a busy worklife a year earlier :) )

Can someone please explain how Adelaide makes this pretty late top-up offer unbonded - i.e. it leapfrogs ~40 BMP places?

As already mentioned Adelaide is one year shorter. But given you're hoping to branch into a NSW school I would do UQ if I were you since Adelaide would shut out this avenue. (Btw I'm not mad keen on locking myself to a busy worklife a year earlier :) )
It seems pretty bizarre, but the course code given to me was 314552, for unbonded entry. Thank you A1, ALT and dotwingz for the advice and reassurance!

The only reason I didn't get a bonded offer was because I didn't list bonded in my preferences on SATAC - meaning I only got an offer once my ranking reached the CSP position.

A1

Admissions Speculator
The only reason I didn't get a bonded offer was because I didn't list bonded in my preferences on SATAC - meaning I only got an offer once my ranking reached the CSP position.
That makes sense. I'm not sure whether parmesan_12345 only applied for unbonded though.

jayson

(I originally sent this question to A1, but I realised that this would be a better place to post it).

I'm in a bit of a pickle right now in regards to choosing a medical school. I received a CSP offer to the University of Queensland's provisional medicine program, which I enrolled in. Two days after I moved to Queensland (today), Adelaide university sent me a CSP offer for their medical program, giving me only two days to accept. Adelaide is ostensibly the better choice, given the integrated nature of the degree and its shorter length, but a few issues are giving me pause.

1. Due to the provisional nature of UQ's program, I have a three year window in which to reapply to NSW universities via the UCAT or GAMSAT. I would prefer to study in my home state as I love my neighbourhood and greatly value my family and friends here.

2. Several of my friends are also going to study at Queensland University. Aside from the company they would provide, we will likely organise shared living, reducing the costs of moving interstate.

3. I am settling into Brisbane quite well, enjoy the city and university, and have become acquainted with a few students who are doing provisional medicine/ are looking to take the GAMSAT.

Given my situation, would you recommend that I proceed with my current plans, or should I cancel my UQ enrolment and sign up to Adelaide?
For your information,this year there are 5 students got offer from UNSW,1 student got offer from WSU 1 student got offer from University of Newcastle .These 7 students are all from Uq provisional medicine.