Choosing Between Universities

Discussion in 'Offers Forum' started by faysapprentice, Jan 19, 2017.

1. faysapprentice

faysapprentice Regular Member

Hi all, I would really like some advice on which of the offers I should choose
    At the moment, I have gotten Griffith provisional gc, JCU unbonded and Flinders
    I have also gotten the adelaide interview offer and am wondering whether or not I should go
    For all of these, I would be moving interstate (I am from sydney) and I am not sure about how to compare these to choose a one to enrol in (what are the pros and cons of each)
    Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

2. ccsaus

ccsaus New Member

no thoughts about UMelb Chancellor's Scholars Program at all?

3. ccsaus

ccsaus New Member

Here is what Mana suggested:

The most important things I would consider when I have multiple offers are these, in this order:

1. Are you already living in a city with one of these universities? If so - regardless of the year committment or even the bonded committment - I would take that offer, because it means that you get to save on rent for that year, and you get family support because you still live at home (which honestly makes a huge difference).

2. If none of these are, then, where do you want to stay for the next few years, including the years of early practice? Where you will live for the next few years as well as where you will receive an internship is dictated mostly by which university you attend. If you graduate from a NSW university, for example, you will be prioritised first for NSW, and the same for all other states.

3. Finally, I would then take 5 year courses over 6 year ones, because you finish earlier and start work earlier. (I would take 6 year courses over 7 year provisional ones for the same reason). When you start work earlier, you will avoid the intern bottleneck by one year, the training bottleneck by one year and and you'll also be around $65k richer pre-tax (because working as an intern earns more money than being a final year medical student).

That should be sufficient to make your decision - because otherwise, no one cares where you did your degree (as long as it was in Aus/NZ). No one cares about prestige, no one cares about the name of the degree (as long as it's a medical one, MD, B. Med, MBBS, all the same, no one cares).

Aaronm, Isiyara and shadowduke like this.
  4. ccsaus

ccsaus New Member

I am from Sydney as well. Got Griffth Gold Coast/UMelb Chancellor's Scholars Program/JMP New Castle
    Seems I should choose JMP over UMelb Chancellor's Scholars Program
    Not sure about your case

5. faysapprentice

Yeah the thing is that im gonna have to move out for all these offers and theyre all 6 years so not sure how to choose between them

6. biom

biom Regular Member Supreme Overlord of the Chatbox

see point 2) where would you like to live or alternatively... where would you like not to live.

7. faysapprentice

tbh im not too fussed about where im gonna have to spend the 6 years and most likely ill be able to come back to NSW for internship because ill just put blacktown hospital first (which no one wants to go to)

8. faysapprentice

I guess gold coast might be fun to live in though?

9. LBoG

LBoG BMedSci/MD-JMP II UoN

Take into account cost of living too.

I wholeheartedly recommend GC as a great place to live. The beaches, restaurants, scenery - all extremely appealing.

Will you be living on-campus? Research the on-campus options, prices, expenses, etc. Off-campus? Start comparing prices for rent, suburbs, etc.

While we here at MSO can help you with many things, the ideal place for you specifically to live might be a bit out of our reach ;)

Good luck with the awesome predicament you find yourself in!

10. Mana

Mana Resident Medical Officer Administrar

Resident Medical Officer
    That doesn't guarantee that you will get a place in NSW, sorry.

11. heart

heart New Member

Seems like you really want to stay in NSW. I wonder in your situation if you do take Griffith and sit the gamsat to try and get into a med school in NSW and if you don't just continue with the MD at Griffith. Not sure how GEMSAS looks at accelerated degrees though.

12. Mana

Resident Medical Officer
    Generally quite unfavourably - someone I know used a 2 year accelerated degree for entry and UNDS was the only university willing to look at that degree out of the entire GEMSAS consortium... and they only looked at it because this person also had a 3 year completed bachelor degree before it which was non-graded.

faysapprentice and heart like this.
  13. faysapprentice

@Mana, what would your thoughts be on these unis?

14. Mana

Resident Medical Officer
    I would take JCU. It's non-provisional. Simple as that.

Myst likes this.
  15. faysapprentice

prestige of uni/md vs mbbs doesnt matter for med right? Im right in saying all prospects are up to me being a good intern and researching etc?

Amy531 likes this.
  16. Mana

Resident Medical Officer
    Correct, as stated above, prestige or name of your degree doesn't make any difference.

faysapprentice and Myst like this.
  17. faysapprentice

Thankyou!! Also would you happen to know how JCU is for research opportunities etc or would I have to direct that question to someone else?

18. Mana

Resident Medical Officer
    faysapprentice likes this.
  19. Aaronm

Aaronm New Member

I need advice pls. I have bonded offer from UQ for medicine 7yrs and non bonded from UWA 6yrs. Which uni is a better option if cost of living is not an issue. Thank you

20. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD
    Quite obvious isn't it, unbonded + 1 year shorter?

Mana likes this.