Choosing Between Universities

Discussion in 'Offers Forum' started by faysapprentice, Jan 19, 2017.

1. rik09

rik09 New Member

I think crow answered your question really well. Just to add my two cents, I think something else to consider is how difficult a course like medicine can be and how much you will need to rely on your support network. While I don't doubt that you will make an amazing group of friends at UNE, even simple things like having a home-cooked meal (assuming you'll be staying with family if you stay at JCU) can go a long way after a long day at uni. While facetiming and skype sessions exist, it's not really the same as being at home with your friends and family when you're going through a particularly hard time. A fair amount of my friends who did their undergrad interstate founds ways to come back home and do their postgrad at home. And like crow mentioned, it's also important to consider where you'd like to do your internship as it'll be a little more difficult to get one in your home state if you didn't attend med school in that state (but that's not to say it's not possible!).

2. rik09

rik09 New Member

Hey! in my opinion, it sounds like Griffith is more of a sure thing than Melbs so I would definitely pick Griffith and have less to worry about overall!

3. chinaski

chinaski Regular Member

I agree whole-heartedly with considering the value of family support networks, but I would offer an alternative perspective as well: moving out of home and living independently is a very useful, very important life experience which should not be discounted. Whilst med school can be challenging, the road up ahead doesn't get any easier after graduation, and you do need life skills, initiative, resilience and maturity to succeed in the workplace. For some (not all - but definitely some), staying at home too long may impair or delay the acquisition of those attributes.

Tomato and rik09 like this.
  4. MonicaIstaf

MonicaIstaf New Member

I'm very fortunate to have an offer for both CSU and Adelaide dentistry. I currently live in Sydney and was wondering if it is worth moving to Adelaide for the university's stronger reputation as a dental school.

Also, how often do you reckon I'd be able to come back to Sydney for each course? I know Orange is a 3 hour drive and Adelaide is a 1 hour flight. Expenses aside, how often will I be free to travel back and forth? If I won't be coming home to Sydney regardless, then might as well take the stronger course, right?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2019
  5. Tomato

Tomato New Member

If I were you, I choose Adelaide BDS regardless where I live.

6. Jnhjns

Jnhjns New Member

They're both accredited courses, you should choose based where you actually want to live rather than the name of the university or any perceived prestige of the course.

Crow likes this.
  7. Crow

Crow Moderator Most Active 2018

I’m not well versed in the factors that influence career outcomes in dentistry, but I definitely agree with the post above - go where you want to live. Hutcherson will hopefully have something more to add / will possibly be able to answer your other questions.

8. Tomato

Tomato New Member

Even they are both accredited courses, to my knowledge, Adelaide is better in terms of the teaching staff (not because of the name of the uni or the prestige of the course). Somebody may argue about this, well, it's my personal opinion. Since Op lives in Sydney, anyway needs to move. The living costs may be lower in Grange but may not be significant. When you talk about "go where you want to live", I think anyway OP will return back to Sydney after graduation. There is no internship issues for dentistry. If OP needs to go back home more frequently, CSU may be more attractive.

9. Mana

Mana Registrar Administrar

Resident Medical Officer
    Going to go out on a limb here and say if I lived in Sydney I'd be taking CSU dent over Adelaide because of the easy possibility of returning home by car whenever you want. CSU is a newer school but you're definitely well out of the woods in terms of being a guineapig cohort.

Crow likes this.
  10. Crow

Yep, hence why my comment makes no mention of which university the OP should go to! I literally meant “go where you want to live” I.e. go where you want to attend university - my post makes no mention of CSU or Adelaide specifically.

RE: transport/living costs: a 1hr flight from Adelaide to Sydney is almost always going to cost significantly more than a 3 hour drive.

11. Mowgli

Mowgli New Member

Hi
    I got an offer for Curtin 5 years MBBS and also have receive an offer for Bonded place at Adelaide. Not sure which one I should choose.

12. Crow

Are you still coming from NZ? If you're an NZ citizen, I am unsure as to why you were offered a bonded position given NZ citizens aren't eligible.

However, if I were you, had to move away from home regardless and had no ties to Adelaide, I'd be choosing Curtin given the shorter duration of the program, and CSP trumps BMP.

Ruffle likes this.
  13. Mowgli

Mowgli New Member

Thank you so much Crow.

14. Surgical Bounce

Surgical Bounce New Member

With the MMI you are assessed on each station, it is not a simple pass/fail as you are assessed and ranked against all the other candidates that do that station on the interview day. You can learn more about the different types of station/question here and how they are assessed: 7 Challenging Types of MMI Questions You Need to Know

15. Crow

Given LMG! has sat multiple MMIs herself, I think she knows how they work!

This answer was given as a response to someone with a Chancellor’s “guaranteed entry” position at UniMelb - students in this position don’t compete against others in the MMI, but they need to “pass” 5 out of 8 stations in order to progress to the MD at the end of their undergrad.

LMG! likes this.
  16. Megha Prasad

Megha Prasad New Member

Hey everyone! Recent member, first-time poster. I was just wondering what are some of the pros and cons + differences between Monash and the University of Melbourne for medicine?

TIA :)

17. Crow

Depends - are you aiming for undergraduate or postgraduate entry?

If you're a school-leaver then Monash would by far be the better choice - 5 year program vs 7 years at UniMelb (as well as the fact that you need to pass an interview and maintain a 75+ WAM to get entry into UniMelb at the end of your undergrad, so the "guaranteed" entry isn't so guaranteed).

18. TheKuanAndOnly

TheKuanAndOnly New Member

In WA there is the option of Curtin and UWA for med. However, they vary and though I haven't got a place in either as of yet, I'm curious to see which would be a better option out of the two. On the UWA hand, you've got a 6 year course that's more established and with higher cutoff requirements, and on the other hand you have a shorter course but a newer (and probably more inexperienced) faculty. What is more valuable in this situation and why?

19. Mana

Mana Registrar Administrar

Resident Medical Officer
    Given that prestige of the medical school counts for nothing at all, and that Curtin have had at least two years (by the time you apply) to have ironed some things out, the year's worth of finishing earlier (and thus working as a doctor for a year longer and paying one fewer year's worth of university fees) really does weigh heavily in favour of choosing Curtin over UWA, which is my recommendation in the other thread about choosing between universities (see my signature for the link).

20. Harry99

Harry99 New Member

Student
    I just finished my BMedSci at Griffith last year, and I know of at least two people from my cohort alone that used their accelerated BMedSci to get into USYD medicine?

Lyyrre likes this.