Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Choosing Between Universities

TKAO

crossed fingers for ATAR
Gold star winner
Adding to Crow's reply, when WSU makes you an offer it's likely you're required to enroll within 2-3 weeks to confirm your acceptance. As soon as you receive another offer that you intend to go with you should not only withdraw your WSU enrolment but also advise WSU so they make a top-up offer to another applicant.

Some have been silly not doing this, it takes the school 1-2 weeks after semester starts to realise that student has not turned up. It's why we sometimes see surprise call ups after semester has started.
Wait so there is an off chance that the stars align and you accept your fate to take a gap year to try again next year, only to get called up by one of the med universities telling you that you can have an offer?

A1

Admissions Speculator
Wait so there is an off chance that the stars align and you accept your fate to take a gap year to try again next year, only to get called up by one of the med universities telling you that you can have an offer?
Yes, MSO's MD didn't get a 1st or 2nd round offer with (1st pref) Adelaide so she started with Flinders. A week after semester started Adelaide called her and she said good bye to Flinders.

Reactions: MD

blizzard

Adding to Crow's reply, when WSU makes you an offer it's likely you're required to enroll within 2-3 weeks to confirm your acceptance. As soon as you receive another offer that you intend to go with you should not only withdraw your WSU enrolment but also advise WSU so they make a top-up offer to another applicant.

Some have been silly not doing this, it takes the school 1-2 weeks after semester starts to realise that student has not turned up. It's why we sometimes see surprise call ups after semester has started.
Thanks for the help. Do you also know when Monash offers usually come in for interstate students?

A1

Admissions Speculator
Thanks for the help. Do you also know when Monash offers usually come in for interstate students?
Apart from WSU & UTas making rural offers in Dec the med schools release their offers via the TAC main round 10ish January. The interstate/2nd round where applicable is 5ish February. Google UAC/VTAC offer dates you will see them.

MD

Emeritus MSO Staff
Emeritus
Yes, MSO's MD didn't get a 1st or 2nd round offer with (1st pref) Adelaide so she started with Flinders. A week after semester started Adelaide called her and she said good bye to Flinders.
Yes I managed to get the call at the end of O Week and started week 1 there, and there were still quite a few students getting offers for several weeks after me during term 1, like up to week 4?

LMG!

Admodistrator
You don’t need to be on a gap year to get one of these very late offers, you can have started an alternate degree and still be eligible for the school leaver spots you applied to. If this occurred (though keep in mind, these tend to be outliers in both instances, and shouldn’t be relied upon for future planning), you would just withdraw from the course you’d started and accept the Med offer. Piece of cake!

Otter

Which course should I preference higher, University of Adelaide BMP or Flinder's University (provisional)? As a Victorian student, I am quite unsure of which is favourable.

LMG!

Admodistrator
Which course should I preference higher, University of Adelaide BMP or Flinder's University (provisional)? As a Victorian student, I am quite unsure of which is favourable.
If you're a chance of getting a CSP at Flinders, I'd personally be putting that above a BMP at UAdel due to the increased ROS requirements.

Crow

Moderator Band
Does Adelaide have two separate course codes on SATAC for CSP and BMP places? If so, I’d put Adelaide CSP and Flinders CSP 1 and 2 (whatever order you prefer) and then Adelaide BMP after that, if you aren’t really bothered either way. The bonded requirements have increased substantially for 2020 entry so a CSP is much more desirable than a BMP at this point, I would think!

Intissar

Hey Guys, so people have mentioned that choosing a uni based on location is important since it influences where you work afterwards. I know this is true for Internships but what about residency years and beyond? I'm choosing between Tasmania and Sydney and i figured I could complete my internship in Tas and continue afterwards in a bigger city like Melb/Syd. Is this difficult to do?

chinaski

Hey Guys, so people have mentioned that choosing a uni based on location is important since it influences where you work afterwards. I know this is true for Internships but what about residency years and beyond? I'm choosing between Tasmania and Sydney and i figured I could complete my internship in Tas and continue afterwards in a bigger city like Melb/Syd. Is this difficult to do?
More difficult than applying as an inside applicant, yes - workplaces tend to favour known quantities (this is especially so when vying for competitively sought-after hospitals within the major CBDs). Also bear in mind that NSW graduates go onto two year contracts, so the need for additional applicants for PGY2 jobs in NSW within Sydney is tight.