Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Choosing Between Universities

I Can't Hear U

Hufflepuff, WBU?
Considering I'm from interstate and I want the shortest course with the lowest chance of a BMP, would you say it's wiser to place all the Griffith preferences (Gold Coast, Nathan, USC) above UQ bonded?

Lyyrre

Griffith BMedSci/MD
Considering I'm from interstate and I want the shortest course with the lowest chance of a BMP, would you say it's wiser to place all the Griffith preferences (Gold Coast, Nathan, USC) above UQ bonded?
If this was last year, then I would have advised taking the UQ bonded over Griffith because UQ bonded would only have been 1 year (prior to the BMP length change in 2019) as opposed to Griffith's 3 years (as CSP/BMP was determined at the end of 2020, at which point BMP will have changed to 3 years).

However, now that the change is in place and BMP is 3 years for both UQ and Griffith, if you are looking for a shorter course – then Griffith GC and Nathan will both be 6 years, and provided you remain in the top 72.5% of the cohort during the 2 years bachelors, you should receive a CSP on entry to the MD (the same applies for USC, but the course is 7 years instead of 6).

If you decide to take UQ bonded – it will be 7 years, and the 3 years bonded will apply regardless of how well you do in your bachelors degree.

So to answer your question – placing Griffith GC or Nathan will give you the shortest course (between the two) and a chance to receive a CSP as opposed to UQ bonded. Now say you receive UQ unbonded, then that would save you the stress of competing for a CSP in your bachelor degree and you won't worry about receiving a BMP. The cutoff last year was quite high though (I believe it was 93%ile for bonded, 96%ile for unbonded).

Tomato

If this was last year, then I would have advised taking the UQ bonded over Griffith because UQ bonded would only have been 1 year (prior to the BMP length change in 2019) as opposed to Griffith's 3 years (as CSP/BMP was determined at the end of 2020, at which point BMP will have changed to 3 years).
When you were admitted to UQ bonded, do you sign the BMP document immediately or sign it after the bachelor's degree? What you said sounds you have to sign straight away after admission. Just want to clarify.

Crow

Moderator Band
When you were admitted to UQ bonded, do you sign the BMP document immediately or sign it after the bachelor's degree? What you said sounds you have to sign straight away after admission. Just want to clarify.
You usually sign it towards the middle of the first year of uni. Because UQ is provisional entry it’s possible this wouldn’t occur until you’ve started the MD (so 4th year out of school). I believe it’s the latter but can’t recall this with 100% certainty.

TKAO

crossed fingers for ATAR
Gold star winner
You usually sign it towards the middle of the first year of uni. Because UQ is provisional entry it’s possible this wouldn’t occur until you’ve started the MD (so 4th year out of school). I believe it’s the latter but can’t recall this with 100% certainty.
If it is like UWA you sign it when you start the MD portion. I'm curious as to how it would work if you signed it during your bachelors. What would happen if you did the GAMSAT while at UQ provisional and then got into a uni somewhere else as a CSP but you already signed the BMP at UQ?

Crow

Moderator Band
If it is like UWA you sign it when you start the MD portion. I'm curious as to how it would work if you signed it during your bachelors. What would happen if you did the GAMSAT while at UQ provisional and then got into a uni somewhere else as a CSP but you already signed the BMP at UQ?
Very good point, and I think it makes a lot of sense to not have it signed until the MD portion (with some people also dropping out before the MD, bonded requirements changing over time etc etc). I was about 95% sure it happened the way you mentioned above but I don’t like making guaranteed statements unless I am fully certain! Thank you for that :)

ETA: Worth noting that signing the BMP documentation is making a legal commitment to the government. One couldn’t then go on to take a CSP at a different uni and “overlook” the BMP commitments that they’ve committed to - if someone did this then they’d still be bound by these commitments if they went on to work as a doctor, even if they ended up graduating from another uni.

Last edited:

Tomato

TKAO talked about one of the scenarios if the BMP document was signed in the bachelor's stage and then went to another uni for MD. The other scenario is if you sign the BMP document at the time MD starts (i.e. not at the beginning of the bachelor's degree), you may have 3 years commitment rather than 1 year.

Crow

Moderator Band
TKAO talked about one of the scenarios if the BMP document was signed in the bachelor's stage and then went to another uni for MD. The other scenario is if you sign the BMP document at the time MD starts (i.e. not at the beginning of the bachelor's degree), you may have 3 years commitment rather than 1 year.
I'm relatively sure that the conditions for provisional entry students would be the same as whatever the BMP conditions were when they were initially made the offer by the university, rather than at the time that they reached the MD (because it wouldn't be fair to inflict the change of conditions on them after they had originally accepted a BMP offer on the basis of the conditions at that time), but it would be best for someone in this position to contact the BMP scheme department to confirm.

A1

Admissions Speculator
I'm curious as to how it would work if you signed it during your bachelors. What would happen if you did the GAMSAT while at UQ provisional and then got into a uni somewhere else as a CSP but you already signed the BMP at UQ?
Unless this rule has changed, the penalty for not fulfilling your BMP contract is you have to repay the gov subsidies for your BMP med course, about $25k/year. So I believe if you switch to a CSP at another uni you will have done zero BMP study years thus zero $ to repay in breaking the contract terms.

It's no loss to the gov since your vacated BMP spot would be offered to another student anyway, who will fulfill their contract in place of yours.

pokopoko99

What are some opinions on wsu vs jmp? Having a hard time choosing which to put 2nd/3rd on preference list. I'm NZ so distance isn't a consideration. They're also both 5 years. Does it pretty much come down to location? If it is which to the two has a more 'active' as in restaurants/shops/activities? (I've never been to Newcastle or Western Sydney)
Thanks

LMG!

Admodistrator
What are some opinions on wsu vs jmp? Having a hard time choosing which to put 2nd/3rd on preference list. I'm NZ so distance isn't a consideration. They're also both 5 years. Does it pretty much come down to location? If it is which to the two has a more 'active' as in restaurants/shops/activities? (I've never been to Newcastle or Western Sydney)
Thanks
I’m not from either location, but have been to both: WSU is a shorter train ride into Sydney CBD so it’s easier to make the most of the activity on offer there. The WSU campus and closest clinical school are both quite new generally, but are very new compared to Newcastle. Also, don’t forget JMP doesn’t necessarily = Newcastle, as you may be allocated to Armidale. WSU is on the airport train line, making transport back home for visits more accessible, also.

I received offers to both WSU and JMP a couple of years ago and if I’d not got into UTAS also, I’d have chosen WSU due to the campus location, access to the airport, and newer facilities.

It’ll be good for you to have a look around when you attend interviews.

chinaski

Thanks
Western Sydney isn't the same as Sydney (ie completely different vibe and demographic), and Newcastle is a location in its own right (ie it should not be regarded as an outer suburb of Sydney). If you like the beach and the lifestyle that goes with it, go to Newcastle. If you can't bear the thought of not living in Sydney, go to WSU.

umatresults.jpg

Western Sydney isn't the same as Sydney (ie completely different vibe and demographic), and Newcastle is a location in its own right (ie it should not be regarded as an outer suburb of Sydney). If you like the beach and the lifestyle that goes with it, go to Newcastle. If you can't bear the thought of not living in Sydney, go to WSU.
Completely agree with this. I'm currently studying at WSU Campbelltown (not medicine though) and if you're after a more active lifestyle, it will be very hard to get that here. It takes over an hour by public transport to get to the CBD, so if you're like everyone else, you will likely not have the energy to head out after a long day of uni. The campus itself is also situated in a very suburban area, so there isn't much to do within 20 minutes of the campus either (I am not kidding when I say that the highlight of Campbelltown is probably King Kebab House). To top if off, the campus itself has virtually no social aspect to it, and the majority of students disappear the moment class ends.

pokopoko99

Completely agree with this. I'm currently studying at WSU Campbelltown (not medicine though) and if you're after a more active lifestyle, it will be very hard to get that here. It takes over an hour by public transport to get to the CBD, so if you're like everyone else, you will likely not have the energy to head out after a long day of uni. The campus itself is also situated in a very suburban area, so there isn't much to do within 20 minutes of the campus either (I am not kidding when I say that the highlight of Campbelltown is probably King Kebab House). To top if off, the campus itself has virtually no social aspect to it, and the majority of students disappear the moment class ends.
Do you know what people usually do after uni and on weekends then? (aside from studying) and thanks for all the replies!

umatresults.jpg

Do you know what people usually do after uni and on weekends then? (aside from studying) and thanks for all the replies!
A lot of people go home for the weekend if they're from NSW but live too far away to commute everyday. Weekends are a different story though, so if you want to go to Sydney (or Wollongong even) during the weekend it should be doable. Public transport can be an issue at night though.

The issue is that because of both the limited campus life and activities, it's hard to do things during the week. There are nearby shopping centres, but I'm pretty sure they close around the same time that the med students finish class on most days. This leaves you with restaurants and pubs, but Newcastle should have more options in that sense anyway