Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Choosing Between Universities

A1 Isn't Adelaide a better option if you're hoping to get internships in SA? I thought QLD Health ranks international students from both QLD state and interstate in the same priority group while SA ranks international students from SA universities higher than those from interstate.

My friend just received an email saying they're accepted and will be getting an offer letter soon.

A1

Admissions Speculator
A1 Isn't Adelaide a better option if you're hoping to get internships in SA? I thought QLD Health ranks international students from both QLD state and interstate in the same priority group while SA ranks international students from SA universities higher than those from interstate.
Fair point, however that^ would not be useful if SA doesn't offer any/many intern spots (over their domestic quota) to be ranked higher for.

QLD puts all interstate & int'l grads in the same priority pool and offers internships on merit. Since you did clinical placements at JCU-affiliated hospitals when these hospitals select interns they might give you slightly higher merit than someone unknown from interstate. (Just my speculation, hope someone more knowledgeable will chip in).

Sherlock

Staff

My friend just received an email saying they're accepted and will be getting an offer letter soon.
International students seem to be after local + interstate Australian/NZ graduates for both states:

https://www.samet.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/2019-Intern-Job-Pack.pdf Page 23.

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
Just my speculation, hope someone more knowledgeable will chip in
I recall Benjamin telling us that some international JCU students were guaranteed job offers during their placements in Mackay and potentially Cairns? I’ll let him confirm though.

Reactions: A1

DNA

JCU MBBS
Hi everyone,

I have a friend who is having trouble deciding between attending the MD Program at JCU and University of Adelaide. Can anyone or current students at the programs offer any perspective on the programs (i.e. which course has fairer grading and has instructors who support students) and pros and cons for choosing one program over the other?

Thank you!
I can only speak for JCU and so far, first year has been great. It has a very relaxed vibe to it. Everyone wants to help each other since we’re not competing against each other for grades. There are very supportive instructors and tutors, though the student:tutor ratio is pretty large. There is a lot of focus on rural and Indigenous medicine. Heaps of placements (most in any medical course in Australia). Let me know if you want to know anything in specific about the JCU course, especially first year.

alexlipton

JCU MBBS II
Valued Member
Hi everyone,

I have a friend who is having trouble deciding between attending the MD Program at JCU and University of Adelaide. Can anyone or current students at the programs offer any perspective on the programs (i.e. which course has fairer grading and has instructors who support students) and pros and cons for choosing one program over the other?

Thank you!
Hey there,

Echoing the sentiment of DNA I think the JCU MBBS so far has been quite good. I have just finished first year, and in terms of assessment the great thing about Med in general is if you put in the effort you will get the marks you deserve. I entered the course with one of the lowest ATARs for an successful non-rural and am currently on a 7.0 GPA, while I know for a fact people in the course who got high 99 ATARs are just cruising on by with a credit average. Great thing about Med obviously is it doesn't matter either way (everyone gets the same internship), but it goes to show that assessment is quite fair as long as you do the work and know how to study. One thing to keep in mind with the JCU course is it is largely set in a relatively rural location (Townsville) of course aligning with its content focus and degree goals which has its benefits and downsides. One of the biggest benefits I've found is that means that every person in the course has come a long way from home to attend the uni and you are kind of forced form strong friendships otherwise I'm sure it would be quite isolating. It's so far north that even a drive to Brisbane, probably the closest "big city" is a two day drive, so everyone kind of stays together. I've made so many great friends from around Australia and the world as a result, as everyone really mingles (although perhaps part of this can be attributed to being on college). That being said, being 'rural' the town does lack a lot the kind of vibrancy of city life (and the kind of niche clubs/societies/eating places you find there), and can be certainly a big culture shock for some non-rural students in particular. I've started to get used to it though, particularly the more relaxed vibe but I thought I should mention it. I am sure that this experience will be different in a city like Adelaide, but as to what suits best is particular to every individual. In saying all of this, I would seriously ask your friend whether they actually care about rural/remote/Indigenous Medicine, as this is a VERY big part of the course, and let this guide their decision.

If your friend is an international; I spoke to an international in our year who said of all Aus medical schools, JCU was the cheapest? But I'm not sure about the validity of that claim. In every case, I would seek out more qualified MSO people to comment on internship allocations as that's of course the biggest concern here and I know very little in this regard. If however your friend is a domestic student then honestly if he doesn't care about particular things like 'uni life or clubs' then I too agree with A1 that they should simply choose what state he would like to intern in as with a CSP he'll get a guaranteed internship in both.

I think the Adelaide program would be just as fantastic though, and honestly if I were to be lucky enough to be in the position of your friend I would be torn as well. I think it would be beneficial to get a perspective from an Adelaide student as well for a well rounded assessment.

Hope this helps, and all the best!

Last edited:

A1 LMG! Crow Do any of you know any U of Adelaide current students on MSO? If so, would you be willing to tag them?

DNA alexlipton Thanks so much for your honest opinions! I will pass them on to my friend and let them make a decision. FYI, my friend is an international student and is worried about the decision they would make because it would affect their potential to gain an internship spot in Australia. Also, do any of you know if international JCU students were guaranteed job offers during their placements in Mackay and potentially Cairns?

MD

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Not sure if this has been mentioned during this discussion, but the UoA MBBS course is in the process of becoming a BMD course by 2021 and some changes have already been implemented and will continue to do so. There is no official or formal information on this yet as everything is still being sorted out. But the main change would be more research plus GPA grades instead of NGP, and also no more overseas placements in 6th year- amongst many changes. The uni hasn’t released anything officially this was only discussed in a lecture format so can’t confirm what the exact changes/ future implications are. I believe we will find out more in early 2020.
In terms of the course, it hasn’t been too bad so far I guess!
Let me know if you have any specific questions about the course itself, although it would’ve changed by the time you start here. They’re changing the curriculum quite a bit some subjects are being removed/ swapped for other things.

MD Thanks so much for the information. Could you provide more details as to what courses would you be taking throughout the six years of study as well as which courses are pass/fail or graded? Also, how manageable are the courses?

Last edited:

MD

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
MD Thanks so much for the information. Could you provide more details as to what courses would you be taking throughout the six years of study as well as which courses are pass/fail or graded? Also, how manageable are the courses?
At the moment, in preclinical years (years 1-3) there is: scientific basis of medicine (basically everything medicine/ disease related), medical professional and personal development (ethics and law kinda stuff), clinical practice. And in first year you’ll do fundamentals of biomedical science (kinda like biology), in second year it’s medical microbiology and immunology, in third year you get to choose an elective. In third year, you’ll also go to hospital one day a week whereas in years 1-2, you’ll be interacting with simulated patients.
For clinical years (years 4-6), you’re at hospital for placements most days with bedside tutes, formal tutes, lectures and a few other teaching sessions etc. There aren’t really subjects you just rotate through different units at the hospital and cover things like general medicine, surgery, musculoskeletal, psychiatry, paediatrics, obstetrics and gynaecology, anesthetics ICU and pain, and then you get to pick a few electives every year.
The end of year exams are all kinda integrated.
At the moment, all of the above courses are nongraded passes except for fundamentals of biomed, microbiology and the elective in third year.
But in saying this, there will be some major changes that will be implemented in the near future for the new BMD program but specific details regarding this has not been released. I think they’re adding more research and moving to a GPA etc.
Most people find the courses/ assessments manageable so you should be fine!

MD Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know what the attrition rate is for first and/or second-year med students for recent years? Would you say that the administration has resolved the high attrition rate issue? Also, have your class year and other years experienced the changes you mentioned in the curriculum or would those changes only start from the class of 2021?

MD

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
MD Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know what the attrition rate is for first and/or second-year med students for recent years? Would you say that the administration has resolved the high attrition rate issue? Also, have your class year and other years experienced the changes you mentioned in the curriculum or would those changes only start from the class of 2021?
No I’m not sure what the statistic is :/ less than 10 students a year fail if I’m gonna guess? But possibly more in first year as people drop out for various reasons. I believe so- doesn’t seem as prominent in my cohort. And I heard in one year there was no one who failed at all. But there are always people taking a gap year during the course for personal reasons and not sure if that is included in the attrition rate.
Yes we have experienced a few changes over the last 2 years, mostly in terms of assessment and the structure of that as they’re trying to slowly implement everything and see how it works out?

LMG!

Staff Member of the Year 2019
No I’m not sure what the statistic is :/ less than 10 students a year fail if I’m gonna guess? But possibly more in first year as people drop out for various reasons. I believe so- doesn’t seem as prominent in my cohort. And I heard in one year there was no one who failed at all. But there are always people taking a gap year during the course for personal reasons and not sure if that is included in the attrition rate.
Yes we have experienced a few changes over the last 2 years, mostly in terms of assessment and the structure of that as they’re trying to slowly implement everything and see how it works out?
I think the OP is talking about a report from several years ago now (a formal, government report) that showed the UAdel attrition rate for students who successfully completed first year Med but then did not go on to graduate (either due to dropping out or failing) was far, far, far greater than any other university in the country. Like, shockingly greater.

We believe this has been acknowledged and addressed but I don’t know if updated figures have been produced for comparison.

ETA: just realised I may have misinterpreted your opening sentence there MD! Ignore the above if you knew it already.

Reactions: MD

Ayzz

Hey I am not quite sure whether to preference JCU or university of sunshine coast first for QTAC, does anyone have any experiances with the USC direct pathway program as its quite new and I wasn't able to find too much info regarding it !! :)

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
Hey I am not quite sure whether to preference JCU or university of sunshine coast first for QTAC, does anyone have any experiances with the USC direct pathway program as its quite new and I wasn't able to find too much info regarding it !! :)
Are you based in QLD or interstate? If interstate I’d suggest JCU on the basis that a) It’s 6 years in total instead of 7 at USC and b) USC is a provisional entry program which requires you to compete with your peers for CSP/BMP places, and you’d only be studying “medicine” for 4 of the 7 years.

A1

Admissions Speculator
Adding to Crow's reply it's basically the same as Griffith Nathan/GC with two main differences (1) the undergrad is 3 years instead of accelerated 2 years and (2) you do Griffith MD at its SC campus instead of GC.

Ayzz

Are you based in QLD or interstate? If interstate I’d suggest JCU on the basis that a) It’s 6 years in total instead of 7 at USC and b) USC is a provisional entry program which requires you to compete with your peers for CSP/BMP places, and you’d only be studying “medicine” for 4 of the 7 years.
Ahh okay, i see thankyou!! And yes im based interstate. Also just wondering if anyone knows regarding JCU, what are the chances of going to Darwin Mckay or Cairns for placements for clinical years, and on what basis do they decide this? 😊