Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Choosing Between Universities and Offers

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
TKAO talked about one of the scenarios if the BMP document was signed in the bachelor's stage and then went to another uni for MD. The other scenario is if you sign the BMP document at the time MD starts (i.e. not at the beginning of the bachelor's degree), you may have 3 years commitment rather than 1 year.
I'm relatively sure that the conditions for provisional entry students would be the same as whatever the BMP conditions were when they were initially made the offer by the university, rather than at the time that they reached the MD (because it wouldn't be fair to inflict the change of conditions on them after they had originally accepted a BMP offer on the basis of the conditions at that time), but it would be best for someone in this position to contact the BMP scheme department to confirm.

A1

Rookie Doc
I'm curious as to how it would work if you signed it during your bachelors. What would happen if you did the GAMSAT while at UQ provisional and then got into a uni somewhere else as a CSP but you already signed the BMP at UQ?

Unless this rule has changed, the penalty for not fulfilling your BMP contract is you have to repay the gov subsidies for your BMP med course, about $25k/year. So I believe if you switch to a CSP at another uni you will have done zero BMP study years thus zero $ to repay in breaking the contract terms.

It's no loss to the gov since your vacated BMP spot would be offered to another student anyway, who will fulfill their contract in place of yours.

What are some opinions on wsu vs jmp? Having a hard time choosing which to put 2nd/3rd on preference list. I'm NZ so distance isn't a consideration. They're also both 5 years. Does it pretty much come down to location? If it is which to the two has a more 'active' as in restaurants/shops/activities? (I've never been to Newcastle or Western Sydney)
Thanks

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
What are some opinions on wsu vs jmp? Having a hard time choosing which to put 2nd/3rd on preference list. I'm NZ so distance isn't a consideration. They're also both 5 years. Does it pretty much come down to location? If it is which to the two has a more 'active' as in restaurants/shops/activities? (I've never been to Newcastle or Western Sydney)
Thanks

I’m not from either location, but have been to both: WSU is a shorter train ride into Sydney CBD so it’s easier to make the most of the activity on offer there. The WSU campus and closest clinical school are both quite new generally, but are very new compared to Newcastle. Also, don’t forget JMP doesn’t necessarily = Newcastle, as you may be allocated to Armidale. WSU is on the airport train line, making transport back home for visits more accessible, also.

I received offers to both WSU and JMP a couple of years ago and if I’d not got into UTAS also, I’d have chosen WSU due to the campus location, access to the airport, and newer facilities.

It’ll be good for you to have a look around when you attend interviews.

chinaski

Thanks

Western Sydney isn't the same as Sydney (ie completely different vibe and demographic), and Newcastle is a location in its own right (ie it should not be regarded as an outer suburb of Sydney). If you like the beach and the lifestyle that goes with it, go to Newcastle. If you can't bear the thought of not living in Sydney, go to WSU.

Western Sydney isn't the same as Sydney (ie completely different vibe and demographic), and Newcastle is a location in its own right (ie it should not be regarded as an outer suburb of Sydney). If you like the beach and the lifestyle that goes with it, go to Newcastle. If you can't bear the thought of not living in Sydney, go to WSU.
Completely agree with this. I'm currently studying at WSU Campbelltown (not medicine though) and if you're after a more active lifestyle, it will be very hard to get that here. It takes over an hour by public transport to get to the CBD, so if you're like everyone else, you will likely not have the energy to head out after a long day of uni. The campus itself is also situated in a very suburban area, so there isn't much to do within 20 minutes of the campus either (I am not kidding when I say that the highlight of Campbelltown is probably King Kebab House). To top if off, the campus itself has virtually no social aspect to it, and the majority of students disappear the moment class ends.

Completely agree with this. I'm currently studying at WSU Campbelltown (not medicine though) and if you're after a more active lifestyle, it will be very hard to get that here. It takes over an hour by public transport to get to the CBD, so if you're like everyone else, you will likely not have the energy to head out after a long day of uni. The campus itself is also situated in a very suburban area, so there isn't much to do within 20 minutes of the campus either (I am not kidding when I say that the highlight of Campbelltown is probably King Kebab House). To top if off, the campus itself has virtually no social aspect to it, and the majority of students disappear the moment class ends.
Do you know what people usually do after uni and on weekends then? (aside from studying) and thanks for all the replies!

Do you know what people usually do after uni and on weekends then? (aside from studying) and thanks for all the replies!
A lot of people go home for the weekend if they're from NSW but live too far away to commute everyday. Weekends are a different story though, so if you want to go to Sydney (or Wollongong even) during the weekend it should be doable. Public transport can be an issue at night though.

The issue is that because of both the limited campus life and activities, it's hard to do things during the week. There are nearby shopping centres, but I'm pretty sure they close around the same time that the med students finish class on most days. This leaves you with restaurants and pubs, but Newcastle should have more options in that sense anyway

Other than the year difference (UNSW - 6, JMP - 5), I'm wondering what's the difference between the courses in general like the ILP of UNSW and the Research Project of JMP. Are the clinical placements or simulations meant to be different?
Thanks in advance!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Other than the year difference (UNSW - 6, JMP - 5), I'm wondering what's the difference between the courses in general like the ILP of UNSW and the Research Project of JMP. Are the clinical placements or simulations meant to be different?
Thanks in advance!

The Research Project for JMP was only brought in when they switched to the MD program, the first students of which are currently in third year. Given (I think!) the research project starts in earnest in fourth year, there’s not too much info about this around at the moment. I have a friend in third year and all she’s reported to date is that it’s incredibly nebulous and no one really seems to know what’s going on or how it will all work. Admittedly, I last spoke to her about it at least 6 months ago, so fingers crossed things have progressed since then!

Logic might be able to give you more info on the UNSW-front.

Hi everyone,

I have a friend who is having trouble deciding between attending the MD Program at JCU and University of Adelaide. Can anyone or current students at the programs offer any perspective on the programs (i.e. which course has fairer grading and has instructors who support students) and pros and cons for choosing one program over the other?

Thank you!

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Hi everyone,

I have a friend who is having trouble deciding between attending the MD Program at JCU and University of Adelaide. Can anyone or current students at the programs offer any perspective on the programs (i.e. which course has fairer grading and has instructors who support students) and pros and cons for choosing one program over the other?

Thank you!
I'm sorry I don't have enough knowledge to answer your friend's question, but are offers out for both universities already?? Wat??

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I'm sorry I don't have enough knowledge to answer your friend's question, but are offers out for both universities already?? Wat??
The friend is likely an international or special pathway student, unless they just have a REALLY good feeling about their interviews ;)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi everyone,

Thank you!

Both are 6 year degrees, and I’m assuming your mate is an international student so will be moving regardless, so location isn’t too much of an issue?

Historically, Adelaide has had some issues with high failure rates over the course of the degree, but it’s understood they’ve sorted this out.

Accommodation may be cheaper for JCU, if that’s an issue? Though would be worth looking into both.

JCU has an emphasis on tropical medicine, whereas that would be less of a focus in Adelaide.

We don’t have any JCU regulars at the moment (unless Benjamin pops by). @dr potato is a current UAdel student who may have thoughts.

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi everyone,

Thank you!

If your friend is an international hoping to get an Aus internship/career after graduation I believe JCU is the better choice. There are some prospects in QLD whereas SA recently struggled to intern all their domestic grads let alone international. Benjamin mentioned in one of his posts all JCU int'l grads his year got internships.

If they are domestic I suggest not to worry much about course programs. Pay more attention to which state they will prefer to intern/work in after graduation.

A1 Isn't Adelaide a better option if you're hoping to get internships in SA? I thought QLD Health ranks international students from both QLD state and interstate in the same priority group while SA ranks international students from SA universities higher than those from interstate.

My friend just received an email saying they're accepted and will be getting an offer letter soon.

A1

Rookie Doc
A1 Isn't Adelaide a better option if you're hoping to get internships in SA? I thought QLD Health ranks international students from both QLD state and interstate in the same priority group while SA ranks international students from SA universities higher than those from interstate.

Fair point, however that^ would not be useful if SA doesn't offer any/many intern spots (over their domestic quota) to be ranked higher for.

QLD puts all interstate & int'l grads in the same priority pool and offers internships on merit. Since you did clinical placements at JCU-affiliated hospitals when these hospitals select interns they might give you slightly higher merit than someone unknown from interstate. (Just my speculation, hope someone more knowledgeable will chip in).

Sherlock

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff

My friend just received an email saying they're accepted and will be getting an offer letter soon.
International students seem to be after local + interstate Australian/NZ graduates for both states:

https://www.samet.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/2019-Intern-Job-Pack.pdf Page 23.