Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Choosing Between Universities and Offers

jayson

You’ve provided literally no information, so this is impossible to answer.....
Haha 6 years or 7 years.But Griffith May
Without knowing anything else, if you think you can maintain a 5.0 GPA then I would preference like this

UQ CSP > Griffith > UQ BMP
Without knowing anything else, if you think you can maintain a 5.0 GPA then I would preference like this

UQ CSP > Griffith > UQ BMP
Although UQ is 7 years program?

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Although UQ is 7 years program?

Ahh true, forgot about the 2 year medical science. The thing about UQ is that your CSP/BMP is locked in at the start of your degree unlike Griffith which is decided at the end of year 2.

It might be worth taking the one year extra to avoid the BMP

chinaski

absolutely. Not sure if my perception is warped because I’m from Newcastle but to me it honestly feels like one of the best places to train, I’ve heard it’s also got a reputation which avoids the whole “boys club” clique

But also my perception of Sydney siders is that they’re very myopic about nonsydney locations. I was kinda hoping that Newcastle might be easier to land as a cat 2 and be considered a little underrated but I think not.

True, people in large cities tend not to see past the ends of their own noses (I would say this is especially the case in Sydney). Nonetheless, even a very cursory look at the infrastructure and number of beds in Newcastle would quickly disabuse the impression that it's a backwater. One might reasonably expect final year med students to think strategically enough to do a quick google search on possible hospital networks - frankly they're doing themselves a disservice if they think dogmatically along "Sydney CBD vs The Rest" lines.

A1

Rookie Doc
Cat 5 - interstate int'l grads : 2

A challenge question: with these two Cat5 positions does it mean they were so undesired that Cat4s would rather go without than take them?

If the answer is Cat5s got them because there were no more Cat4s in waiting then NSW int'l grads have been looked after well.

mav

UQ Bonded provisional entry, or JMP at UNE??? I'm thinking about the time my course will take, the ramifications of working rurally for 3 years, and also potential career prospects (if one uni will set you up better than the other in competitive specialties) but am so unsure and conflicted. Please help!

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
UQ Bonded provisional entry, or JMP at UNE??? I'm thinking about the time my course will take, the ramifications of working rurally for 3 years, and also potential career prospects (if one uni will set you up better than the other in competitive specialties) but am so unsure and conflicted. Please help!

JMP > UQ any day. 5 year vs 7 year, UQ is 5.0 provisional.

Dusk

Congratulations to all those who have/ just got offers, and good luck to those waiting!! You got this!!!!
So I need some help with uni offers...
I got unbonded for UQ and Adelaide but bonded for UNSW. I live in NSW, but I still don't know which one to choose...? Its like each uni has its pros and cons rn (e.g. if I take unbonded I have to move interstate for 7/6 years, bonded lets me stay at home).

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Congratulations to all those who have/ just got offers, and good luck to those waiting!! You got this!!!!
So I need some help with uni offers...
I got unbonded for UQ and Adelaide but bonded for UNSW. I live in NSW, but I still don't know which one to choose...? Its like each uni has its pros and cons rn (e.g. if I take unbonded I have to move interstate for 7/6 years, bonded lets me stay at home).
I would probably go UNSW bonded just because you live in Sydney. 6 year course and you can stay with your fam at home so you save money. Bonded while being less desirable than unvonded, is not a death sentence and in my opinion should not be avoided like the plague all the time.

LWH

Lurker
Hi Everyone

I need help on deciding which to choose...

I am a school leaver entering into medicine next year. I got 2 offers and am struggling to decide between the two.
1. Monash Uni, Bonded
2. UQ Provisional, Non Bonded

I live in Melbourne. I would also like to eventually return to Melbourne to practise medicine here.

Appreciate any advice that you guys have

Thank you so much

Hi Everyone

I need help on deciding which to choose...

I am a school leaver entering into medicine next year. I got 2 offers and am struggling to decide between the two.
1. Monash Uni, Bonded
2. UQ Provisional, Non Bonded

I live in Melbourne. I would also like to eventually return to Melbourne to practise medicine here.

Appreciate any advice that you guys have

Thank you so much

congrats on your offers!

firstly I would suggest reading the government document outlining the requirements for return of service for a BMP.
If that seems okay to you, then I would choose monash.
it is 2 year shorter than UQ (5 vs 7) and not provisional, meaning you won’t have to keep up a 5.0 GPA. Although a 5.0 is *typically* not too tricky, you never know what could happen.
Also considering you live in Melbourne, monash would be considerably cheaper and you can stay with family and friends.
Next, going to monash will enable you to hopefully practice in Melbourne more easily e.g. internship in vic.

however,
If you read the BMP document (and read the BMP advice thread) + seek external advice and cannot fathom it then UQ is your best option. It means no 3 year ROS after you finish.
UQ is also a great uni!

sorry for the long reply!

ian3150

Lurker
Hey everyone

I was fortunate enough to achieve a 99.90 ATAR this year and received offers for both Unimelb's Bachelor of Biomed (Chancellors Scholars) degree and Monash's Bachelor of medical science/Doctor of medicine degree (bonded). As someone very passionate for medicine, who wants to practice medicine in the city (and perhaps one day overseas), I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

Firstly, UniMelb's prestige gives lots of buying power on an international scale to practice medicine overseas(so this option will always be available to me), but the course is 2 years longer, it's much further away and it's contingent on passing an MMI interview in the third year. If I do manage to pass though, I'll receive a nonbonded CSP spot in postgrad med, as opposed to Monash's bonded.

On the other hand, Monash's degree is a lot faster, much closer to me (10min bus ride as opposed to 1.5hr commute) and from my research, provides more clinical training during medical school. There's also the guarantee of a med degree if I accept, whereas for unimelb there's always a slight chance of failing the interview. However, the downside of this is that I get put under contract to go to a place of workforce shortage for 3years (usually remote/rural locations) IN ADDITION to the 5years of medical school, effectively extending the course by 3yrs (so 8yrs Monash as opposed to 7yrs unimelb)

Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on this and which uni you'd choose and why?? Any help is appreciated at this point cuz yaboi is panicking. And if you've been in a similar position I'd love to hear which one you chose! And preferably ASAP cuz I gotta decide by the Jan 24th (

PS. really sorry if this post is in the wrong section!

garmonbozia

Membered Value
Valued Member
Firstly, UniMelb's prestige gives lots of buying power on an international scale to practice medicine overseas (so this option will always be available to me)
The perceived "prestige" of one's university has no bearing on whether or not you'll gain employment, or even registration, as a doctor overseas.

ian3150

Lurker
The perceived "prestige" of one's university has no bearing on whether or not you'll gain employment, or even registration, as a doctor overseas.
Thanks for the reply! By prestige I was not only referring to the reputation of the uni (definitely unimelb is more heard of than Monash internationally though) but also unimelbs better connections with internship opportunities like Royal Melb Hospital, The Alfred, St Vincent's etc. which would surely make an employer look twice at over compared to Monash (I.e it'd be like Harvard in US compared to another sub-ivy league uni)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
ian3150, as much as I don’t personally advocate for this, you are not locked into the three year BMP, even after you sign the contract, and have the option of buying your way out when the time comes and if it is financially feasible. More discussion on this can be found in the BMP thread and should go there if you have further questions.

Thanks for the reply! By prestige I was not only referring to the reputation of the uni (definitely unimelb is more heard of than Monash internationally though) but also unimelbs better connections with internship opportunities like Royal Melb Hospital, The Alfred, St Vincent's etc. which would surely make an employer look twice at over compared to Monash (I.e it'd be like Harvard in US compared to another sub-ivy league uni)
Again med-school reputation in Australia really can't be compared to Ivy vs. Non-Ivy league schools in the US and I'd highly suggest not considering it when making a choice in deciding which med school to apply too. I personally know Monash graduates who have interned at the Alfred, St Vincent and the Royal Melbourne Hospital, and Monash students rotate through the Alfred if that is any concern to you.

LWH

Lurker
congrats on your offers!

firstly I would suggest reading the government document outlining the requirements for return of service for a BMP.
If that seems okay to you, then I would choose monash.
it is 2 year shorter than UQ (5 vs 7) and not provisional, meaning you won’t have to keep up a 5.0 GPA. Although a 5.0 is *typically* not too tricky, you never know what could happen.
Also considering you live in Melbourne, monash would be considerably cheaper and you can stay with family and friends.
Next, going to monash will enable you to hopefully practice in Melbourne more easily e.g. internship in vic.

however,
If you read the BMP document (and read the BMP advice thread) + seek external advice and cannot fathom it then UQ is your best option. It means no 3 year ROS after you finish.
UQ is also a great uni!

sorry for the long reply!

Thank you, Aspiringlol. Appreciate it

Sherlock

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Hey everyone

I was fortunate enough to achieve a 99.90 ATAR this year and received offers for both Unimelb's Bachelor of Biomed (Chancellors Scholars) degree and Monash's Bachelor of medical science/Doctor of medicine degree (bonded). As someone very passionate for medicine, who wants to practice medicine in the city (and perhaps one day overseas), I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

Firstly, UniMelb's prestige gives lots of buying power on an international scale to practice medicine overseas(so this option will always be available to me), but the course is 2 years longer, it's much further away and it's contingent on passing an MMI interview in the third year. If I do manage to pass though, I'll receive a nonbonded CSP spot in postgrad med, as opposed to Monash's bonded.

On the other hand, Monash's degree is a lot faster, much closer to me (10min bus ride as opposed to 1.5hr commute) and from my research, provides more clinical training during medical school. There's also the guarantee of a med degree if I accept, whereas for unimelb there's always a slight chance of failing the interview. However, the downside of this is that I get put under contract to go to a place of workforce shortage for 3years (usually remote/rural locations) IN ADDITION to the 5years of medical school, effectively extending the course by 3yrs (so 8yrs Monash as opposed to 7yrs unimelb)

Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on this and which uni you'd choose and why?? Any help is appreciated at this point cuz yaboi is panicking. And if you've been in a similar position I'd love to hear which one you chose! And preferably ASAP cuz I gotta decide by the Jan 24th (

Guide: Choosing Between Multiple Offers for Medicine/Dentistry Have a read of this thread

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
ian3150 - Monash seems like the more obvious choice here. Graduating two years earlier is a big bonus, not to mention the much closer proximity to home. Regarding internship “connections”, I’m not exactly sure where you’re getting the information that Melbourne has better connections to certain hospitals (and presumably you’re suggesting you’ll be more likely to gain an internship at one of the aforementioned hospitals if you go to Melbourne?). Internship allocations are merit-based in Victoria and you can apply anywhere you like, regardless of the medical school you graduate from.

With that being said: pi has mentioned that St Vincent’s are known for their nepotism and prefer to hire from ?Monash (I can’t remember which university they’re a clinical school for, but it’s that one). I don’t know if any other networks in Victoria are like this but Pi can weigh in.

As for viewing the BMP as “effectively increasing the length of the program by 3 years” - I suggest you look into BMPs a bit more. That’s not really a view that is making sense to me. When you’re fulfilling your RoS requirements you won’t be a medical student, you’ll be an employed doctor. Also worth noting that you could end up working in a rural area regardless of your BMP in your future career, and in fact, even those based at metropolitan networks will need to do rural secondments as part of their contract.

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff

UoM is not associated with The Alfred - that is a Monash-affiliated hospital. Employers don't gloss over an applicant because they're from UoM or from Monash (or elsewhere!), getting an internship is actually a reasonably fair and thorough process that is quite protocolled in Victoria. It's not like some guy using a Tinder-like app just swiping left and right on applicants based on very superficial details.

Your information and understanding is fundamentally incorrect and I would suggest you do some reading.

Just to throw this one at you - but if you're worried about presitige affecting your employers' views so much, aren't you concerned they'll see you went to UoM and assume you only went there because you couldn't get into Monash first? ;) (hint: they won't, because you're wrong)

I personally know Monash graduates who have interned at the Alfred, St Vincent and the Royal Melbourne Hospital, and Monash students rotate through the Alfred if that is any concern to you.

Correct. When it comes to RMH and The Alfred - these two hospitals are the 'big dogs' in Melbourne - and they quite simply just choose the best medical students regardless of uni. Thus, there's a mix of Monash, UoM, Deakin, and a smattering of Notre Dame too. Naturally, more Monash students preference The Alfred, and more RMH students preference RMH - but otherwise it's fair game.

St Vincent's is notoriously nepotistic - to students from their own clinical school. That means if you're a UoM graduate from the RMH clinical school, you're about on par with someone from Monash etc getting a place there. So just going to UoM doesn't lock you into a sure internship position at St Vincent's either.

With that being said: pi has mentioned that St Vincent’s are known for their nepotism and prefer to hire from ?Monash (I can’t remember which university they’re a clinical school for, but it’s that one). I don’t know if any other networks in Victoria are like this but Pi can weigh in.

Correct, as above^^.

Last edited:

lordgarlic

MSO Kiwi #1
Emeritus Staff
Hey everyone

I think it's useful to reply to this from the perspective as a consultant who is involved in recruitment of RMOs into a specialty training program

1) re: prestige - by the time I'm looking at potential recruits into specialty training I don't really even glance at what university they go to, as long as its one that is accredited in AUS/NZ
2) guaranteed vs non-guaranteed - you're shooting yourself in the foot if you feel that everything should be about prestige. What if you fail the MMI at Melbourne? You've given up a guaranteed spot in medical school
3) you've identified that Monash is closer to home and to other things.... that should be a simple one, especially if you intend to live at home during your studies
4) before you check at practicing medicine overseas, be aware that there are plenty of hurdles to jump and medicine overseas is nowhere near as a flexible as you think it is