Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Choosing Between Universities and Offers

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
If you want to earn money earlier take Adelaide. If you don't want to be locked into work life a year earlier take UQ.
or if you want to enjoy uni a little bit more by doing an easier undergraduate degree first before starting medicine pick UQ. If you want to start medicine ASAP because you are super enthusiastic about being a doctor, then go Adelaide.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
or if you want to enjoy uni a little bit more by doing an easier undergraduate degree first before starting medicine pick UQ. If you want to start medicine ASAP because you are super enthusiastic about being a doctor, then go Adelaide.
I have to point out that doing an “easier” undergraduate will result in the actual medical degree (4 years instead of 6) being a lot more condensed and “harder”.

chinaski

I have to point out that doing an “easier” undergraduate will result in the actual medical degree (4 years instead of 6) being a lot more condensed and “harder”.

It's also not a safe assumption that an undergrad degree would be certainly be "easier" than medicine.

jayson

Adelaide is tough?

For 2014 a total of 39 students across the entire non-first year Adelaide cohort dropped out. This is significantly larger number than other universities - Adelaide's attrition rate makes up 33% of the total Australian attrition rate - but I haven't looked back at other MTRP publications to see if it's a consistent trend of if it's an outlier.

Dusk

I assumed “period” which would be consistent with the surprised tone in the post... but I’m keen to hear what exactly Dusk was told and by who.

I was told when I called up the BMP department. Don't remember the exact person's name. But yes, pretty sure the P stands for period:)

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
That was 6 years ago. I remember Mana saying things have changed since.

I haven't seen the next official report yet, but I feel like it is overdue if it isn't out yet.

A1

Rookie Doc
Do you mean things have changed since?

I added up the numbers from MedDeans data. From 2014 to 2018 the five Y1 intakes totaled 651, in 2019 there were 623 in the Y2-Y6 cohorts. So roughly 28 have dropped out over five years.

REGULAR JOE

Home state: NSW
Offer 1:
Griffith
Offer 2: Curtin BMP
Any scholarships offered: None
Any accommodation secured: Already moved to Brisbane for griffith, received curtin top up today
Internship location preference: Sydney
Other important information:
I like Curtin since it's 5 years, but a negative is its bmp. I dont like the hot weather in Brisbane, but am wary of perth since I've heard there's more crime and racism? Does anyone have any input, and what would you do if you were in my situation? I've already moved to brisbane from sydney.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Home state: NSW
Offer 1:
Griffith
Offer 2: Curtin BMP
Any scholarships offered: None
Any accommodation secured: Already moved to Brisbane for griffith, received curtin top up today
Internship location preference: Sydney
Other important information:
I like Curtin since it's 5 years, but a negative is its bmp. I dont like the hot weather in Brisbane, but am wary of perth since I've heard there's more crime and racism? Does anyone have any input, and what would you do if you were in my situation? I've already moved to brisbane from sydney.
Griffith is only one extra year and gives you a chance to earn a non-bonded position - you’re young so I wouldn’t let the time factor influence your decision too much. Don’t think crime and racism would be vastly different in either region - though I’d be interested to hear where you got this information - is it anecdotal evidence that you’re drawing that conclusion from?

The “hot weather” will probably be worse in Perth than Brisbane a lot of the time, and keep in mind you’re only in Brisbane for 2 years before moving to the GC. I wouldn’t let this influence your choice either.

Your chances of gaining a Sydney internship are slim, but equal, regardless of which uni you attend. You’re also located a shorter travel time to Sydney from SEQ than Perth.

If I were you I’d stick with Griffith, but that’s just my opinion.

REGULAR JOE

Griffith is only one extra year and gives you a chance to earn a non-bonded position - you’re young so I wouldn’t let the time factor influence your decision too much. Don’t think crime and racism would be vastly different in either region - though I’d be interested to hear where you got this information - is it anecdotal evidence that you’re drawing that conclusion from?

The “hot weather” will probably be worse in Perth than Brisbane a lot of the time, and keep in mind you’re only in Brisbane for 2 years before moving to the GC. I wouldn’t let this influence your choice either.

Your chances of gaining a Sydney internship are slim, but equal, regardless of which uni you attend. You’re also located a shorter travel time to Sydney from SEQ than Perth.

If I were you I’d stick with Griffith, but that’s just my opinion.
Wow! Thank you for taking the time to give that detailed reply.
The crime and racism thing wasnt based on any evidence, rather a quick google search that found much more news items of those things in Perth rather than Brisbane, but obviously thats nowhere near reliable.
When it comes to climate, I actualy prefer perth because of its lower humidity, the heat is bearable compared to brisbane.

A1

Rookie Doc
When it comes to climate, I actualy prefer perth because of its lower humidity, the heat is bearable compared to brisbane.

Perth's average day temperature (high+low / 2) is 1 to 3 degrees lower than Brisbane's. Perth may have a higher day temperature but it cools down more quickly in late afternoon to a lower evening temperature

> List of cities by average temperature - Wikipedia

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Could the same not be said about the bonded scheme? You’re relatively young, and 3 years isn’t that long, and it’s a different experience (to metro life), and often very rewarding to work in a rural community.

These things can still be done by choice and on your own terms if you’re not bonded.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Could the same not be said about the bonded scheme? You’re relatively young, and 3 years isn’t that long, and it’s a different experience (to metro life), and often very rewarding to work in a rural community.
Sure, it could - just offering my perspective.

For me the time factor with the bonded requirement wouldn’t phase me, but the requirement for a minimum of 18 months post-fellowship is the main “downside” of the bonded scheme in my eyes.

chinaski

Sure, if you want a Pollyanna take on the realities of a workplace bond.

jayson

Sure, it could - just offering my perspective.

For me the time factor with the bonded requirement wouldn’t phase me, but the requirement for a minimum of 18 months post-fellowship is the main “downside” of the bonded scheme in my eyes.
Can I ask why “downside” is the requirement for minimum of 18 months post-fellowship ?

garmonbozia

Membered Value
Valued Member
Can I ask why “downside” is the requirement for minimum of 18 months post-fellowship ?
chinaski addressed this at some length in the chatbox last night so I would suggest that reading through there is a good start (as well as looking at the thread about BMPs).