Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Clayton Campus Accommodation Questions

Meddie

Hi, I am thinking of applying to the on campus accommodation in monash uni clayton campus for entry in 2020. I have a few questions and would really be thankful if any of you could answer them.

1. Is it hard to get a place in the halls if I apply now? I heard there can be long waiting lists, and what are my chances now?
  2. Do the coed showers in the residential halls have doors with locks or just a curtain?
  3. What are the pros/cons of each of the halls in the residential village and urban community? Any info would be appreciated! e.g regarding room quality, bathroom quality, internet, party scene, location, people, atmosphere, activities, etc.
  4. Which hall has the greatest percentage of med students?
If you guys can answer what you know, id be really grateful!!

Last edited:

Icanttypeasd

Monash BMedSci & MD
Hi Meddie,

1. Apply soon as it will only get harder with waiting lists.

2. Yes I believe. Some bathrooms and toilets are divided between sex.

3.Residential village- pros - cheap, more social
cons- share toilet, shower, fridge, kitchen- it also is further away from campus - old.

Urban community pros- own toilet, shower, fridge , kitchen
cons- more expensive and can be less social

Internet is all similar.

4. Not sure really but all halls have a few. IMO making friends outside of medicine is a lot harder than inside so don't be too worried about it.

Meddie

Hi Meddie,

1. Apply soon as it will only get harder with waiting lists.

2. Yes I believe. Some bathrooms and toilets are divided between sex.

3.Residential village- pros - cheap, more social
cons- share toilet, shower, fridge, kitchen- it also is further away from campus - old.

Urban community pros- own toilet, shower, fridge , kitchen
cons- more expensive and can be less social

Internet is all similar.

4. Not sure really but all halls have a few. IMO making friends outside of medicine is a lot harder than inside so don't be too worried about it.
Thanks for the insight! Hope i can get a place

apk22

Hi guys, I'm in a bit of a mess with accommodation as it turns out. I had no idea that I would get an interview for Monash med and alas have one. I was just starting my application and it says that applications for 2020-sem 1 have closed. It would be kinda sorta really ideal for me to live on campus as I think making friends with people outside of med would be super important and am really worried that if I stay off campus i'll find it to be less social and more isolating. WHAT DO I DO??? I cannot believe that the applications have already closed for the residential village and urban community... I'm going to be homeless.

ucatboy

Valued Member
Hi guys, I'm in a bit of a mess with accommodation as it turns out. I had no idea that I would get an interview for Monash med and alas have one. I was just starting my application and it says that applications for 2020-sem 1 have closed. It would be kinda sorta really ideal for me to live on campus as I think making friends with people outside of med would be super important and am really worried that if I stay off campus i'll find it to be less social and more isolating. WHAT DO I DO??? I cannot believe that the applications have already closed for the residential village and urban community... I'm going to be homeless.
Same situation bro - apparently you gotta book on-campus accommodation at least 5-6 months in advance if you don't want to miss out :(

apk22

Same situation bro - apparently you gotta book on-campus accommodation at least 5-6 months in advance if you don't want to miss out :(
How can this even happen? Us poor med students literally have no idea what is going on with our year until we get a uni offer, it is so ridiculous for them to expect us to know whether we will be at Monash/any other uni when we literally have no idea if we will get in until the middle of January... I'm devastated.

CristinaYang

Monash I 🐬
Newbie of the Year 2019
How can this even happen? Us poor med students literally have no idea what is going on with our year until we get a uni offer, it is so ridiculous for them to expect us to know whether we will be at Monash/any other uni when we literally have no idea if we will get in until the middle of January... I'm devastated.
maybe call up and ask them tomorrow and emphasise the med student situation? I’ve heard that some accomodation facilities (not this one or in Clayton but other ones elsewhere) froth over med students so it can’t hurt to try!

Lear

Monash II
Yep, it's quite an unfortunate situation and the same one I found myself in last year. I didn't even know what sort of ATAR I was getting 6 months in advance let alone an interview and subsequent offer! Unfortunately, the case is that other students do apply early and simply cancel later on.

The university accommodation is unlikely to care about what you study but an option you might want to consider is Mannix College which is admittedly more pricey but is also catered. They often have reserved spots for Medical students and iirc had spots open even as the semester started last year. As CY said they froth over med students because it looks nice on the alumni list :)

apk22

Yes I will definitely give them a call tomorrow. My friend is a president (or something) at one of the buildings this year and said "Call them up and make up a sad story so they'll help you out." I'll give it a shot I guess 😄

Meddie

Yes I will definitely give them a call tomorrow. My friend is a president (or something) at one of the buildings this year and said "Call them up and make up a sad story so they'll help you out." I'll give it a shot I guess 😄
Mannix I heard is nice but when I searched them up it was very pricey! And the only real difference is you get catered(well theres tutoring and parties too but those are minor and u can get elsewhere) Off campus is also an option you can find stuff on gumtree. On campus filled up super fast this year my friend who applied in september (not med) didnt get his first choice of urban community.

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Have interstate interview offers come out for Monash?

stargirl1

Hey guys, for someone who lives in south western suburbs (near Werribee), I don't reckon the commute to Clayton every day via public transport is very practical so I'm looking for off-campus accomodation. Is anyone in my case also looking at Flatmates?
I would love to arrange with other female first year med students! xx

Icanttypeasd

Monash BMedSci & MD
That's unfortunately true but there is the option of getting on campus accommodation for second semester as many new spots do open up.

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Hey guys, for someone who lives in south western suburbs (near Werribee), I don't reckon the commute to Clayton every day via public transport is very practical so I'm looking for off-campus accomodation. Is anyone in my case also looking at Flatmates?
I would love to arrange with other female first year med students! xx
I would suggest posting this in the fb group that would have been created for you year - far more likely to get some traction.

Gav10

stats noob but not a weaboo
Where are all the interstate Monash people staying at? We only got our offers a couple of weeks ago, and I'm wondering how people are managing to find accommodation.

Icanttypeasd

Monash BMedSci & MD
Hi Gav10, based on my year, interstate students rare roughly split between Mannix, Monash Residential Halls and share housing. Each has their unique benefit and potential downside.

Offers do come out quite late and by this time there may not be many/any places left for Monash Residential Halls. If this occurs there may be the opportunity to share house and then apply for on-campus accommodation in second semester.