Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Clinical clothes :| ?

Kay4

I just read in other universities threads and find out I would need clinical clothes as well :blink:
Can anyone tell me how're they like and where can I find them pls?

Havox

Sword and Martini Guy!
Emeritus Staff
For guys its a collared and buttoned shirt, dress pants, leather belt and leather dress shoes.

Girls is harder, semi formal and conservative.

Jackie

=D
Emeritus Staff
Girls: Collared shirt plus skirt or pants are ok. Tunics also work.
You can get away with some other things, but try and keep it semi-formal and conservative as Havox said.

chinaski

Conservative. If you'd wear it out on a Friday night, you're wearing the wrong thing. And for god's sake, girls - nobody wants to see it - so no low cut tops, no Gosford skirts, no uber-tight or low rise pants, and no impractical stiletto heels.

For a guy, you'll also need a tie.

For girls, our clinical tutor's advice: "Make sure you see more of the patient than the patient can see of you". So go figure

The only major time you spend in hospital is during Rural Week (2 days in the hospitals at Launceston and Burnie), other placements in first year allow for more casual clothes to be worn.

Dr Worm

shoes? (Just curious, I know I don't start til 2012...anyway, it could take me that long to find the right shoes)

I HATE shoes. ALL of them.. HATE. Therefore I own thongs, black volleys and stilletos (I figure if I'm gonna be uncomfortable, they better be damn fine shoes)

I used to wear doc martens for nursing. They were pretty comfortable, but they don't exactly look professional...Any thoughts?

Kyle

Old Man MSO
Emeritus Staff
A lot of girls at my old clinical school wear a brand called "naturalizer" or some such. :p

They raved about them.

Matt

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Conservative. If you'd wear it out on a Friday night, you're wearing the wrong thing. And for god's sake, girls - nobody wants to see it - so no low cut tops, no Gosford skirts, no uber-tight or low rise pants, and no impractical stiletto heels.

I just urban dictionaried gosford skirt.... close to the entrance lol. Four years in Sydney and I'm still not up with the lingo.

shoes? (Just curious, I know I don't start til 2012...anyway, it could take me that long to find the right shoes)

I HATE shoes. ALL of them.. HATE. Therefore I own thongs, black volleys and stilletos (I figure if I'm gonna be uncomfortable, they better be damn fine shoes)

I used to wear doc martens for nursing. They were pretty comfortable, but they don't exactly look professional...Any thoughts?

Doc martens would be fine, comfort is meant to be the name of the game and if they were ok in nursing they'll be ok now. Just be warned that a lot of the female students (and a number of the males too!) will take clinical clothes very seriously; it doesn't mean you have to (but you can so long as you stay fairly conservative).

Dr.A

Legend..wait for it..

Although ICMS for first and second year are quite short, you are probably gonna have to do alot of standing (especially when you arent the one interviewing patients), so comfort should be taken into account!

Shizzy

Staff
Administrator
For a guy, you'll also need a tie.

Depends on the hospital though. Have a look at what the doctors are wearing (pay more attention to junior docs since senior docs get away with being casual if they choose).

You'd be out of place with a tie in some hospitals and the infection control nurse may question you on the frequency in which you clean your tie :p.

Kyle

Old Man MSO
Emeritus Staff
Agree with Shizz! As well as hospital to hospital it can change team to team. Our prof of surg told us we were not allowed to wear a tie on a surgery rotation (infection control), the director of cardio though expects all students to wear a tie and asks them where their tie is if he seems them not wearing one.

scarah

I just urban dictionaried gosford skirt.... close to the entrance lol. Four years in Sydney and I'm still not up with the lingo.

A cardiologist at work taught me that one ;) I hadn't heard it either

Matt

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
I don't wear ties to hospital anymore. I always did in third year but it almost feels more natural for a medical student to be without a tie, a bit like wearing a dress coat for a medical student is really a bit much. And its common for interns and registrars not to do so I don't feel any obligation, not to mention the infection control risk stuff. That said, male medical students should probably own a couple of ties in case they get a rotation where they're expected to be worn.

Some female medical students wear ties and I (largely) disapprove of this.

Matt

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
What, seriously? What's with that??

I'm surprised this is new to you. You know, alternative fashion girl ties? Much like ties for men 'cept typically skinny and a bit shorter I think. It's the same as any other fashion statement that is not suited to the hospital.

chinaski

I'm surprised this is new to you. You know, alternative fashion girl ties? Much like ties for men 'cept typically skinny and a bit shorter I think. It's the same as any other fashion statement that is not suited to the hospital.

I've seen emo looking girls wearing that, also Japanese chicks who go for the whole whack-school girl look - but I can't say I've noticed anyone over the age of, say, 15 wearing that sort of thing. I'll add it to the "don't, for the love of god" list. ;)