Clinical years: do you study straight from textbooks or make notes?

Discussion in 'Studying Medicine' started by Confusion, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Confusion

Confusion New Member

As the title says.

I have never been one to directly memorise things from textbooks as I like super dense material when memorising things. Just wondering what others do during clinical years where time is much more restricted!

Thanks

2. chinaski

chinaski Regular Member

If your primary study approach is to memorise, then that is something you need to prioritise reassessing rather than worrying about your study resources.

3. pi

pi Junior doctor Administrar

Junior doctor
    I found it useful to utilise a wide range of resources to help me study:
    • textbooks (on occasion)
    • websites: UpToDate, eTG, Radiopaedia.org. LITFL, etc.
    • YouTube: plenty of useful videos around nearly every concept at a med student level
    • Podcasts: again, plenty
    I would then compile notes. I have gone through how I structured my clinical notes previously, part-way through this post: pi's review of Monash Med units.

4. chinaski

chinaski Regular Member

Probably worth pointing out that arguably the most valuable resource for clinical students is the ward itself. This may seem really obvious to some, but be aware that others actively avoid clinical contact, preferring to spend time studying instead. This defeats the purpose of clinical exposure, and can lead to negative outcomes. So, be aware that book learning should be seen as an adjunct to your clinical work, with the latter being your main focus.

pi likes this.
  5. govpop

govpop Regular Member

Case based study is the best, and in that regard there are some excellent apps like HumanDx which really help you develop your differential diagnosis.

6. Texila

Texila New Member

Hi,

During clinical years the best way is to study is gaining more practical knowledge.