• UCAT results are out! Just kidding, I'm just testing the notices system. Cheers, Mana

Coal Workers Lung vs Pneumoconiosis

Uzayr

Hello,

Is coal workers lung the same as pneumoconiosis? If not, does pneumoconiosis cause cor pulmonale? (I think they are the same and thus it does cause cor pulmonale, but not entirely certain).

Thanks.

rustyedges

Otago MB ChB
Coal worker's lung is a one disease in a group of diseases known as pneumoconioses. And all pneumoconioses can lead to cor pulmonale.

Uzayr

I see thank you.

On a different note: if something is subacute (e.g. S. viridans is a subacute cause of infective endocarditis), does it cause disease or does it simply mean has the potential to cause disease?

rustyedges

Otago MB ChB
Subacute is a time thing, meaning lasting longer than an acute thing, but not long enough to call it chronic. Maybe between 2 weeks and 1 month depending on the disease. It's still a disease process, but is usually less severe in intensity than acute things, such as your endocarditis example.

Uzayr

Apologies I totally messed up the first part of the thread. I was meant to have typed anathracosis not pnemoconiosis.

Is anathracosis the same as coal worker's lung and does it cause cor pulmonale?

rustyedges

Otago MB ChB
Nope, both CWL and anthracosis are build ups of carbon in the lung, but anthracosis is just a lot less, it's asymptomatic, wont cause cor pulmonale and affects pretty much all adults.