Commercial UCAT Preparation Resources

Discussion in 'UCAT' started by geek, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Shanaka UCAT

Shanaka UCAT New Member

Hey Austin,

Fair queries- all of them.

Firstly, you are correct- prior to this year, I had never taught the UCAT- although over the past 6 months, i have been teaching hundreds of students every single week. In addition to this, there is a huge crossover on any aptitude test. Perhaps not in the specific questions asked, but in the skills tested. This year's results will tell, and I certainly can't make any claims for the students yet, but as their results look via practice at the moment, I expect a huge portion to do very well.

Secondly, the headlines are ironically designed to be click-baity. However, we never sell our course directly via any of these ads. Rather they're designed so that students will attend a free webinar with me, or a free live workshop, free questions etc etc.

The headlines themselves of course don't represent the average student. However they are factual. Everything we do prior to actually selling anything is very realistic, and grounded in quite a bit of reality- and again we are the only UCAT prep company (that i'm aware of) to offer a full refund with no questions asked and we give students a complete 4 weeks to try our course with a performance guarantee.

To answer specific things, i'm not claiming to have a higher IQ than einstein. Instead, what i'm saying is that because i've prepared for several thousands of hours with tests of this nature- i do receive a higher IQ score than him simply due to my exposure to these exams.

Individual ability is a huge factor I agree. My opinion is that anyone can improve their abilities and skills, and that people shouldn't be told they can't.

You say that my performance is a product of natural ability, and i can tell you with absolute conviction that is not true, as someone who did poorly in both VCE and my initial UMAT score (to the dismay of my parents :p)

I've dedicated thousands of hours to studying the science behind psychometric testing, and thousands more hours to teaching it, and I do believe my results reflect that.

However, undoubtedly there will be skepticism and criticism, which is completely natural in an exam like this, and this is totally fine. You are obviously entitled to that opinion! :)

*With the biomed thing, i believe the guy who does all our marketing misinterpreted my story. In yr 12 i wanted to do med, followed by melbourne biomed, and I missed out on both of those, and got my next preference which was monash biomed. I should (and will fix that haha thanks!)

sylviahallo likes this.
  2. L2pseudocode

L2pseudocode New Member

Hey Shanaka,

What justifies the $4000 (Really, $2000) price point you set for your course? Someone who is sitting the UCAT in July and buys Medify now will pay around $100 for 3 months. So really, how do you justify the $1900 fee you charge for what seems to be prepared videos and 0 feedback apart from once a week in your Q&A sesh.

Also, what were the factors behind your ranking list here (Just curious as to why you consider usyd and umelb to be so low): [IMPORTANT] Boost Your Situational Judgement Score In 10 Mins

Thanks!

3. Seano

Seano New Member

Hey guys,

Has anyone tried the Kaplan online course for UCAT and if so, would you recommend it?

If anyone recommends any other online course or book that they have used (or know someone who is using) please let me know :)!

Thanks

4. Sniper_to_kill

Sniper_to_kill New Member

Hi guys just an update on what ive been using so far. I started revising for the exam 30 days ago, and I have been doing 100 Medify questions a day. I'm subscribed to the KAPLAN online course and have also been doing medic portal questions too. I had a watch of the free videos from Medic Mind on YouTube, is it worth getting the tutoring alongside?

5. ajs604

ajs604 New Member

Hi, does anyone have any advice for signing up for online courses. I have found Medify which is a UK based company (cost approx$135) or the Kaplan online course which gets you 3 months access and costs $109. Iam taking in the exam on the 31 July. Not sure which one is more suitable? I am also thinking of having some online tutoring with Medic Mind to help with Quantitate and abstract reasoning as they are my main areas of weakness.

6. hhitch

hhitch New Member

Hows the kaplan course? do they have good instructor videos?

7. junebug

junebug New Member

I'd suggest completing lots of exam simulations just like the real exam. There's a free one online called the UCAT MED which stands for Mock Exam Day. I just registered here: Part 10: 2019 UCAT MED (Mock Exam Day)

selcat likes this.
  8. junebug

junebug New Member

Another forum member on the Free Resources Forum just told me about the free UCAT Trial exam on a simulator. I just signed up and thought you'd be interested too! Part 10: 2019 UCAT MED (Mock Exam Day)

9. Aditya Shiva

Aditya Shiva New Member

Hi, I was just looking for more questions to do, I'm currently enrolled in medentry and was looking at either the medify 3 month plan or the kaplan 2 month. Is one significantly better than the other? Do they both have percentiles for exams or drills etc?

10. SoaringMedic

SoaringMedic New Member

I know medify has percentiles

Anyone whose practiced Kaplan Verbal Reasoning find the passages quite long, especially when compared to the official ones.
    We're talking like 600 to 700 words on Kaplan.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2019 at 2:40 PM