Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Common pitfalls to avoid for year 12 school leavers and other medicine applicants

MrDEZMAT

Lurker
I got 2830 ucat. Feeling pre dejected after just missing out on Adelaide and Newcastle med. Losing hopes on curtin as well. My career backup would be data sci at unsw. What are my chances at a non-standard transfer to unsw med if I get a 98.50 - 98.80 this year and a hopeful 95th ucat next year with a 85 wam (I have friends in data sci who say it's manageable). Should I even be considering a possible transfer? Thank you

Broke

hi everyone :)

It's been a few months since i've been on here, but i'd really appreciate a little advice.

Over the past few months, I had become pretty comfortable having the USYD Bachelor of Pharmacy as a back-up degree if I didn't get admission into undergrad medicine. However, right now being only 3 days away from finishing the HSC (finallyy), I'm not sure pharmacy is something I'm interested in. Having consulted a friend who studied pharmacy in the past, I heard that quite a lot of the course was chemistry/mathematics based, which is something I'm not too fond of. Biology and theory based subjects tend to be my strength and something I really enjoy (based off of my limited high school experience), and so I find myself drawn to the content being taught in courses like MedSci/BSci and the like.

I am hoping to apply for non-standard entry to either UNSW/WSU next year though, so after reading the Common Pitfalls thread I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be a good idea.

I would be happy to study UNSW Vision Science/Clinical Optom, however thats also a 99 cut-off, and the most I can see myself getting is around a 97-98. It's the same deal for USYD Physio, which also has a 99 cutoff, so it doesn't seem plausible as a backup degree. I'm considering Vision Science at UNSW, but I don't really know what the career aspects for that degree look like, so for now I'm just really confused as to what I should be doing :/

ponyswordz

UAdel BDS (2020-2024)
Valued Member
hi everyone :)

It's been a few months since i've been on here, but i'd really appreciate a little advice.

Over the past few months, I had become pretty comfortable having the USYD Bachelor of Pharmacy as a back-up degree if I didn't get admission into undergrad medicine. However, right now being only 3 days away from finishing the HSC (finallyy), I'm not sure pharmacy is something I'm interested in. Having consulted a friend who studied pharmacy in the past, I heard that quite a lot of the course was chemistry/mathematics based, which is something I'm not too fond of. Biology and theory based subjects tend to be my strength and something I really enjoy (based off of my limited high school experience), and so I find myself drawn to the content being taught in courses like MedSci/BSci and the like.

I am hoping to apply for non-standard entry to either UNSW/WSU next year though, so after reading the Common Pitfalls thread I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be a good idea.

I would be happy to study UNSW Vision Science/Clinical Optom, however thats also a 99 cut-off, and the most I can see myself getting is around a 97-98. It's the same deal for USYD Physio, which also has a 99 cutoff, so it doesn't seem plausible as a backup degree. I'm considering Vision Science at UNSW, but I don't really know what the career aspects for that degree look like, so for now I'm just really confused as to what I should be doing :/
Based off your uni's mentioned, I would assume that you are living in Sydney right now. You mentioned that you like biology and theory-based subjects. Under that notion, I would personally choose bachelor of science rather than med/health science since job prospects are better and you get to pick more subject units. However, it is important to understand that medicine isn't so much a sole theory-based course but very social-science oriented as well. As such, courses like physiotherapy (WSU - if you live closer to south/west and ACU - if you live closer to north/east are great options for your ATAR), OT, speech path are much better considerations in terms of having a more stable job in the future as well as being more closely aligned with the patient-interaction aspect of medicine. If your idea is to transfer into medicine as a non-standard, I would recommend you consider what career you would want to do in the future if you did not make medicine and do that. You will enjoy the course much more and find it easier to get a higher GPA and memorise things you enjoy.

Broke

Based off your uni's mentioned, I would assume that you are living in Sydney right now. You mentioned that you like biology and theory-based subjects. Under that notion, I would personally choose bachelor of science rather than med/health science since job prospects are better and you get to pick more subject units. However, it is important to understand that medicine isn't so much a sole theory-based course but very social-science oriented as well. As such, courses like physiotherapy (WSU and ACU are great options for your ATAR), OT, speech path are much better considerations in terms of having a more stable job in the future as well as being more closely aligned with the patient-interaction aspect of medicine. If your idea is to transfer into medicine as a non-standard, I would recommend you consider what career you would want to do in the future if you did not make medicine and do that. You will enjoy the course much more and find it easier to get a higher GPA and memorise things you enjoy.
Hi, thanks for the speedy reply!

You're right about staying in Sydney, due to familial obligations I really don't have a choice to consider interstate options. I'm definitely aware of the social-science aspect of medicine, its something that actually attracted me to the degree in the first place :) Thank you for the WSU/ACU recommendations, those sound like pretty good options.

I'm not sure if this is an unrealistic expectation, but I'd prefer UNSW/USYD as I live pretty close to both unis, and one of my parents works at UNSW which is just pretty convenient for me. I was looking at UNSW Vision science, as well as a few applied science degrees at USYD, however perhaps physio at WSU might be a better option

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
I got 2830 ucat. Feeling pre dejected after just missing out on Adelaide and Newcastle med. Losing hopes on curtin as well. My career backup would be data sci at unsw. What are my chances at a non-standard transfer to unsw med if I get a 98.50 - 98.80 this year and a hopeful 95th ucat next year with a 85 wam (I have friends in data sci who say it's manageable). Should I even be considering a possible transfer? Thank you
I don't reckon that your UCAT is that low that curtin straight up won't consider you. Previous years have been skewed to the high end but the formula has changed this year and you may still get an interview there and perhaps a subsequent offer. I reckon you still have reasonable odds at Curtin, provided you get your atar up as high as possible. Curtin takes in more interstate students than they do WA ones, approximately 44 vs. 42.

A1

Rookie Doc

85 WAM should be GPA 6.5+ converted to 99.5, combining with 98.50-.80 to a low 99s equiv rank. That with 95th UCAT is just a little above borderline for UNSW interview with maybe 10-15% offer chance.

Otoh 95th will get you a JMP interview, and possibly WSU if you score well in the right sections. Aren't these two schools of interest to you?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

I think it's important to note that what you'd be aiming for isn't a transfer, there are only a few universities that offer those and they are for very specific undergraduate degrees. You'd be starting one degree, then applying for non-standard med and, assuming you got an offer, you'd be withdrawing from one degree and starting the Med degree from scratch.

Have a read through the first few posts to this page about what things to consider when you're looking towards non-standard entry medicine. It will hopefully help you think through your options with a little more structure. While it can be useful to rely on the information from friends who have first hand knowledge of the degree (ie your mates who have done data science), I'd say it's more important to choose an undergrad degree based on the fact that you'd be prepared to enter into that area or discipline as a career if the med thing didn't work out (statistically speaking, NOT getting into Med is the more likely outcome given applicant to place offer ratios so it's important to be realistic).

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing that says you have to be stuck with what you first do and can't make sideways career moves ever, because that is definitely not the case, but it's important to not just choose a degree based off the notion that you can get X, Y, Z GPA to get to Med because you may choose something you don't like, or that doesn't cater to your own strengths, and then you're stuck in a degree you don't enjoy and possibly not getting the marks you need because you're not engaged or playing to your strengths. I hope that makes sense!

Hey guys,

As my backups for my UAC preferences (backups for medicine) i'm really considering Macquarie Clinical Science. My rationale behind this is that it is only 2 years, so even if i finish the course and pursue post-grad med, itll total to be 6 years (the length of most medical programs).

Furthermore, I'll be able to sit GAMSAT and UCAT in year 1 of uni because you can sit GAMSAT in your second last year of uni and this is my first year if i choose clinical science. My whole hearted intentions are medicine, I am not interested or looking at any other fields and so regardless of what degree I do, medicine is always the final destination.

So, if anyone knows of macquaries clinical science course, its structure, or even has completed the course, I would love your input as in the difficulty of the course etc.

Also, with clinical science, if i end up changing my mind and not wanting to do medicine, i can do a master degree (e.g. in pharmacy), i'm aware that masters degrees are very expensive. The benefits of clinical science seem plenty and benefits are given to clinical science graduates for macquaries MD program.

I'd appreciate all the help I could get.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey guys,

As my backups for my UAC preferences (backups for medicine) i'm really considering Macquarie Clinical Science. My rationale behind this is that it is only 2 years, so even if i finish the course and pursue post-grad med, itll total to be 6 years (the length of most medical programs).

Furthermore, I'll be able to sit GAMSAT and UCAT in year 1 of uni because you can sit GAMSAT in your second last year of uni and this is my first year if i choose clinical science. My whole hearted intentions are medicine, I am not interested or looking at any other fields and so regardless of what degree I do, medicine is always the final destination.

So, if anyone knows of macquaries clinical science course, its structure, or even has completed the course, I would love your input as in the difficulty of the course etc.

Also, with clinical science, if i end up changing my mind and not wanting to do medicine, i can do a master degree (e.g. in pharmacy), i'm aware that masters degrees are very expensive. The benefits of clinical science seem plenty and benefits are given to clinical science graduates for macquaries MD program.

I'd appreciate all the help I could get.

If you type ‘Macquarie’ into the search function you’ll get 10 pages of results. A number of those will be referring to UNSW’s Port Macquarie campus, but there are also plenty discussing Macquarie Uni’s course that you’ll see as you move through the results. Maybe start there.

chinaski

My whole hearted intentions are medicine, I am not interested or looking at any other fields and so regardless of what degree I do, medicine is always the final destination.

In the context of this thread, the bolded strategy is very ill-advised. A myopic approach to medicine isn't ever a good idea.

I obviously have back-ups, why else would I be asking about clinical science ahahaha. I mean that medicine is my goal profession and it's what I see myself doing in the future. I have my goals set to achieve this. chinaski

chinaski

I obviously have back-ups, why else would I be asking about clinical science ahahaha. I mean that medicine is my goal profession and it's what I see myself doing in the future. I have my goals set to achieve this. chinaski

Doing a degree with the primary purpose to get into medicine is not a "back up". Again, /thread.

Doing a degree with the primary purpose to get into medicine is not a "back up". Again, /thread.

How so? I dont understand. I have backup's if I don't get into medicine, e.g. engineering or pharmacy. However, these degrees are only there if i lose interest in medicine in the coming 1-3 years. At the moment though, my intentions are set on medicine, so if i end up doing say pharmacy or engineering, I will eventually end up doing post-grad medicine.

If anyone has some feedback/opinions for me and my situation please let me know :)

chinaski

Look, I can't make you read the advice already written in the first page of this thread, but I suggest that you do so, for your own sake. Not everyone who wants to get into medicine succeeds in doing so. To state you're not even considering or exploring other options, or to make a half-hearted commitment because you don't really believe you will ever not do medicine, is a huge mistake IMO. But hey, you do you.

A1

Rookie Doc
so if i end up doing say pharmacy or engineering, I will eventually end up doing post-grad medicine.

You are talking like anyone set on doing medicine will end up doing medicine. That's far far from reality, you need to prepare yourself for the case you can't get into undergrad nor graduate medicine.

Btw if you plan to take advantage of MQ's 2-year degree to enter MD earlier you need to make sure it is possible to complete by 31-Dec of the 2nd year. If the study plan relies on using the semester 3 of the 2nd year which goes into Jan-Feb of 2022 you won't be able to apply in 2021 to most of the graduate schools.

chinaski A1 No ofcourse i know medicine may not work out for me, why else would I have engineering and pharmacy as backups, my point is, and I may not have worded it best before, but im trying to say that regardless if I do engineering or pharmacy, i'll still try to get into medicine. If that does not work out, i still have a job in pharmacy or engineering. That is my back-up if i dont get in. Im fully aware of that. Im passionate about either field and evidently, i'm exploring other options lol. If i end up as a pharmacist or engineer, ill be happy, however, medicine is the goal, thats not half-hearted if you ask me.

Do you guys have thoughts on Clinical Science? Even if i end up going back to pharmacy or engineering after Clinical science, i can do a masters.

Last edited:

Lear

Monash IV
Gold Star Winner
chinaski A1 No ofcourse i know medicine may not work out for me, why else would I have engineering and pharmacy as backups, my point is, and I may not have worded it best before, but im trying to say that regardless if I do engineering or pharmacy, i'll still try to get into medicine. If that does not work out, i still have a job in pharmacy or engineering. That is my back-up if i dont get in. Im fully aware of that. Im passionate about either field and evidently, i'm exploring other options lol. If i end up as a pharmacist or engineer, ill be happy, however, medicine is the goal, thats not half-hearted if you ask me.

Do you guys have thoughts on Clinical Science? Even if i end up going back to pharmacy or engineering after Clinical science, i can do a masters.
Have you considered doing Engineering or Pharmacy straight away?

Have you considered doing Engineering or Pharmacy straight away?

I definitely have, however, I just see Clinical Science as a way that I can do GAMSAT and UCAT much sooner. I can sit GAMSAT next year, in first year. Also, if i want to study those later on there is always the masters route irrespective of the price it'll cost. Like two years of clinical science and another 2 for an MPharm and i'll graduate with my cohort of students who did pharmacy.

I want to see other perspectives on this and also if Clinical Science is in any way difficult (in terms of GPA/WAM) and what not and generally, peoples thought on this route.

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
I definitely have, however, I just see Clinical Science as a way that I can do GAMSAT and UCAT much sooner. I can sit GAMSAT next year, in first year. Also, if i want to study those later on there is always the masters route irrespective of the price it'll cost. Like two years of clinical science and another 2 for an MPharm and i'll graduate with my cohort of students who did pharmacy.

I want to see other perspectives on this and also if Clinical Science is in any way difficult (in terms of GPA/WAM) and what not and generally, peoples thought on this route.

I feel like there is a very, very good reason why there are a whole lot of people replying to you suggesting NOT to do this and based on the advice that I've written in the first few posts of this thread. I notice you've sent me a PM about this, and while I've given you an answer I feel like it's echoing exactly what chinaski, A1, and Lear are saying, which is basically not to do this degree based on the fact that its entire worth is based on the small chance of you getting into medicine at the end of it.

It's also the case that quite a few graduate entry medical schools do not accept 2 year undergrad degrees for the purposes of entry, and also that the MQ degree is relatively new compared to other "medical science/biomed/health science" degrees out there so even if you were going to go into the pitfall #2 anyway (goodness knows why) surely you'd pick one that was a 3 year degree and that has a longer history or is located at a university with more resources and history to back it up?

Anyway... if you're looking for reassurance that this 2 year MQ degree is an okay backup... you won't find it here, sorry.