Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Question Competitive Specialties + Research

Austerus

Otago MBChB II
Hi!

I'm currently a third year med student @ Otago, and was wondering about what specialties in NZ tend to be the most and least competitive, and what is required to get into those very competitive specialties.

Could someone theoretically go through their MBChB without undertaking any other study / research opportunities, and land a spot in one of the competitive specialties with maybe a year or two more work experience before entering the training programme?

I'm thinking of doing a BMedSc(Hons) at Otago between my third and fourth year but I'm not sure how much of an advantage this would convey to me later in my career when applying to specialty programmes, as this would be my main motivation for doing the extra year. Has anybody pursued this route before and could shed some light on how it went for them? It seems like a bit of a disadvantage to be a year behind your cohort, with a year of income lost.

Edit: I don't have one particular specialty set in mind but like the sound of EM, Psych, Cardiology and GP/FM

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
I found this cool article which tabulates students preferred careers and the current spread of medical jobs in NZ. From this it seems that Psych and GP is undersubscribed (as expected) whilst the others are over subscribed. I know the colleges publish CV marking guidelines, so that might help you ponder wether the extra degrees or research is worth it.

1614320236130.png

chinaski

I know the colleges publish CV marking guidelines, so that might help you ponder wether the extra degrees or research is worth it.
That's not an accurate generalisation. Some colleges or sub-specialties offer that kind of guidance. Many don't (and indeed, not all colleges or subspecialties use a harmonised CV system for ranking candidates).

forevafrensbear

Published research or
At least activity furthering QA is looked upon favourably. We don’t really judge when you do it - whether as a student or prevocational. What matters more is that you did a substantial portion (eg. Listed or first author) and can explain eloquently what you got out of it and the impact. Eg. how the research benefitted you, a speciality or the community.