Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Computers, Apps, and Other Study Resources

jamesRPM

Lurker
Hi..

I'm just starting my undergrad and want to do everything in my power to stay ahead and do as well as I possibly can.. I start in three weeks but want to start preparing now.. My first unit is an introduction to the human body so anatomy and physiology based ones would be preferred, but if there's an 'all-in-one' option, I'd love to hear about it.. Are you able to recommend any programs or applications that I can use to get me started..? I was looking at KenHub and they seem to have some good reviews, but I wanted to speak to real med students to see what they use..

What's the best one in your opinon..?

Thank you in advance for any help, advice, or suggestions..

James

MD

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Teach me anatomy website
Moore's anatomy
Grays anatomy for students
Netters anatomy flash cards
Medscape
Those are the main ones I use for anatomy in first year :)
And sherwood physiology
I've used ken hub before but it doesn't seem as easy to use as teach me anatomy imo

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I’m really keen to put together a list of resources people have found useful during Med/Dent studies (or, alternatively, found to be a waste of time/money/effort). I know we already have a textbook thread, but in the age of apps, I know there are so many more things out there than just the old school textbook (though they also obviously still have their place).

MD has provided a list of Anatomy products above, but I’m wondering if anyone could add to this, and also elaborate on why they found certain things useful.

I’ve had Complete Anatomy for Mac and iPad and KenHub recommended to me recently.

Alternatively, if you think the usefulness of these types of resources is such an individual thing so as to make any recommendations null and void, please also feel free to say that!

hpfanfiction

Paediatric Healer at St. Mungo's Hospital
Emeritus Staff
I went to Med School years ago, but one excellent free online resource I used back then and is still around is:
-http://www.lab.anhb.uwa.edu.au/mb140/
(Histology)

I also recommend
-the UpToDate phone app (I still use this more than any other single resource)
-kidshealthwa.com

Addit/
For anatomy , I used Netter’s (initially a free CD, but I later bought a hardback book) and Moore’s (others in my year preferred Gray’s because it was more user friendly , but I didn’t think it went into enough detail)

Here are some of my oldest posts (re: textbooks)
For anatomy, I'd recommend Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy
Other people in my year preferred Gray's Anatomy for Students because it's is more user/picture friendly, but I found it didn't go into enough theoretical detail.
For histology- I preferred Wheater's Colour atlas, but Ross's "HIstology: A Text and Atlas" is more detailed/was our recommended text at the time.
Guyton and Hall- is good for Physiology
Neurology- Nolte's "The Human Brain"
Embryology- Langman's Medical Embryology
Can't remember what I used for Biochemistry sorry, but it was by Devlin ..and I didn't refer to it much

Clinical Skills- Talley & O'Connor's "Clinical Examination" is a bible, though in later years,
For pathology, I used "Pathological Basis of Disease"- by Kumar
though Rubin's Clincopathological Basis of Medicine is good too.

In later years- Clinical Medicine by Kumar and Clark and Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine are particularly useful.

But in earlier years, it's probably most important to get:
1)A good picture atlas- eg NETTER'S
2)A photo-based atlas- eg McMinn's or Rhen
3)A good dictionary- eg Stedman's
4)Maybe an anatomy+physiology textbook if you didn't do human biology at school- eg Saladin, but otherwise, separate Anatomy and Physiology Books

I got a 2nd hand colouring book...but never really used it
And they do tell you, but unlike school, they don't "teach to textbooks" so often- they'll recommend more than one or ....it's just better to use lecture notes, and perhaps supplement them with the books in the library section

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
I’m really keen to put together a list of resources people have found useful during Med/Dent studies (or, alternatively, found to be a waste of time/money/effort). I know we already have a textbook thread, but in the age of apps, I know there are so many more things out there than just the old school textbook (though they also obviously still have their place).

I've been working on this sort of thing for a while but haven't gotten to apps / online resources yet. Have a bit of time in the new year ... in the interim here are my thoughts on textbooks:

Textbooks & Resources in Medical School |

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
FYI anyone who is interested:

I've been looking at anatomy resources and was going to purchase the Netter's Anatomy Flashcards, but I did a bit of digging and the 5th edition of these flashcards look like they're due for release around March this year, so I'm going to hold off. I think the e-book version has been available since late last year, but the hard copy cards + e-book access will be out soonish. Given they're at the more reasonable end of $$ for med resources, I think I'm going to splash out on a non-second hand set.

Netter's Anatomy Flash Cards - 5th Edition

Kat92

(Student BNurs WSU). Hopeful for JMP
This is just a general list but some of the different Apps that I have been using include:

Epocrates
Medscape
MedShr-- although I have to re-confirm my email as the latest iphone update done something weird.
iRadiology
Netters Anatomy

Last edited:

Clav

Otago MB ChB PGY2
FYI anyone who is interested:

I've been looking at anatomy resources and was going to purchase the Netter's Anatomy Flashcards, but I did a bit of digging and the 5th edition of these flashcards look like they're due for release around March this year, so I'm going to hold off. I think the e-book version has been available since late last year, but the hard copy cards + e-book access will be out soonish. Given they're at the more reasonable end of $$ for med resources, I think I'm going to splash out on a non-second hand set.

Netter's Anatomy Flash Cards - 5th Edition

I also have all of Netters in anki flashcard format if anyone wants them. Just send me a PM.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi All,

I'm a bit behind the trend, but apparently podcasts are a big thing these days. I'm wondering if anyone has any medicine/health care-related (studying or practicing) podcasts they can recommend? I don't have any particular topics in mind, but would be interested to hear what others are listening to and enjoying. A bit of an explanation as to why would be useful too (ie. it's informative, or adds to study, or is just really fascinating...)

Thank you!

ETA: not medicine related, but here are some to give you an idea what I'm talking about: The Best Podcasts of 2018

Last edited:
G

GreenGrapes

Hi All,

I'm a bit behind the trend, but apparently podcasts are a big thing these days. I'm wondering if anyone has any medicine/health care-related (studying or practicing) podcasts they can recommend? I don't have any particular topics in mind, but would be interested to hear what others are listening to and enjoying. A bit of an explanation as to why would be useful too (ie. it's informative, or adds to study, or is just really fascinating...)

Thank you!
Podcasts seem a bit passive in my opinion - I personally think it could be more efficient to learn by talking about it with others - so you're more actively coming up with and justifying ideas?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Podcasts seem a bit passive in my opinion - I personally think it could be more efficient to learn by talking about it with others - so you're more actively coming up with and justifying ideas?

Yeah, I do heaps of active study! Haha.

I don’t want to use podcasts to study, just wanting something a little more low key/entertaining, but still related, for bus rides. There are tons of whodunnit ones out there that are hugely popular, but figured there’d be some Med-related ones somewhere.

Last edited:
L

Logic

Hi All,

Thank you!
Someone in my grade recommended this on the year group, your post reminded me about it so I’ll be checking it out too! Seems very interesting, not sure how educational tho haha

Playing God | Radiolab | WNYC Studios

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Someone in my grade recommended this on the year group, your post reminded me about it so I’ll be checking it out too! Seems very interesting, not sure how educational tho haha

Playing God | Radiolab | WNYC Studios

Thanks, Post. This is exactly the sort of recommendation I'm after. Thanks.

ETA: just read the intro, Post. I've read (and highly recommended in the books thread) the novel/biography by Sherri Fink (Five Days in Memorial). If this podcast is anything like it, it'll be excellent.

L

Logic

Thanks, Post. This is exactly the sort of recommendation I'm after. Thanks.

ETA: just read the intro, Post. I've read (and highly recommended in the books thread) the novel/biography by Sherri Fink (Five Days in Memorial). If this podcast is anything like it, it'll be excellent.
Abou 15 minutes in and I can’t stop listening :O. Will definitely need to check out that book!

manyfrogs

UNSW MBBS
Another good podcast: Sawbones is a medical history podcast if that interests you! They've covered a bunch of topics including some really funny holiday specials (I cried laughing during their Home Alone episode).

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Is there any merit in having your own sphygmomanometer for practicing manual BPs? I’ve noticed some starting to pop up on the UTAS second-hand textbooks FB page but have no idea if it’s a useful thing to invest in. I’m guessing asking the seller is only going to result in one answer as their goal is to, well, sell! Haha.