Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Considering Tasmania?

aslanlar

So i'm a first-year biomed student at uwa with a (current) fgpa of 6.875, and my umat was 190. I got accepted into the med csp for Tasmania (just found out) and apparently i have to accept by november 17th.

Isn't there an option to see how i went for my UWA med interview (january) or to sit my 2 other interstate interviews first and see how i go with them?

What do people think of Tasmania? Does the city have any sort of a nightlife? Is the university decent (not ranked too high)? Just basic information about the university and the mbbs program would be helpfull.

Thanks in advance.

amateur

firstly congrats man!
yes there is an option. accept your utas offer for now and see how you go with uwa and other uni's interviews. when you get offers from other unis in january, accept that as well and call up utas and cancel your utas offer.

abt tasmania -> no idea. heard it has an england like climate during winter, thats abt it.

you are welcome

Founders

Nightlife is not too bad I would have thought, obviously at a smaller scale than Perth, but there is usually plenty going on

raymdc-89

Hobart is a small but very nice city. I've lived in cities of 3 million, 7 million and 2 million before coming to Tasmania, and Hobart offers me enough, at least from my personal point of view.

The university is decent -- it's a small/medium sized university. Not sure what you're after with rankings. But you'll be more focused on the med school, which is based right in the CBD with (currently I believe) Australia's newest medical school building, just opened early 2010. Night life, in my opinion, is plenty. Salamanca on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights.

MBBS is 5-years, CBL - based on 5 'themes'. 1st and 2nd year mostly medical textbook stuff. 3rd year introduces you to the clinical setting. 4th and 5th year the same but more in-depth.

Years 1-3 is based in Hobart. In years 4 and 5, the cohort is split into three groups. One stays in Hobart. The other 2 go to either Launceston or Burnie.

If you decide to take up the UTAS offer, I'll see you in 2011. I'm Med IV and will be in Hobart.

Hayden

Getting busier
Emeritus Staff
[offtopic]
Hobart is a small but very nice city. I've lived in cities of 3 million, 7 million and 2 million before coming to Tasmania, and Hobart offers me enough, at least from my personal point of view.

The university is decent -- it's a small/medium sized university. Not sure what you're after with rankings. But you'll be more focused on the med school, which is based right in the CBD with (currently I believe) Australia's newest medical school building, just opened early 2010. Night life, in my opinion, is plenty. Salamanca on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights.

MBBS is 5-years, CBL - based on 5 'themes'. 1st and 2nd year mostly medical textbook stuff. 3rd year introduces you to the clinical setting. 4th and 5th year the same but more in-depth.

Years 1-3 is based in Hobart. In years 4 and 5, the cohort is split into three groups. One stays in Hobart. The other 2 go to either Launceston or Burnie.

If you decide to take up the UTAS offer, I'll see you in 2011. I'm Med IV and will be in Hobart.

Hi Ray ;) [/offtopic]

aslanlar

Wait, are there interviews for tasmania? It says on the 3rd day of the orientation or something, theres an interview?

->Jay<-

yeah i saw that on the orientation pack, maybe someone who is already @ utas can tell us what that is about :p

JeremiahGreenspoon

My only concern would be the climate, but it depends if you're bothered by that sort of thing.
Beaches are beautiful but the water's cruelly cold :(

aslanlar

Ok so i picked utas then.. seeing as i'm gonna be in hobart on monday, i might as well sort out the booklist..

On the info booklet that they sent me, the 'essential text pack' from the coop bookshop includes:
1.) Peakman - Basic and clinical immunology: with student consult access. 99$
2.)Breen Kerry et al - Good medical practice Provessionalism ethics and law. 75$
3.)Tortora - Principles of anatomy and Physiology media pack. 160$
4.) Cui - Atlas of histology. 85$
5.) Kumar - Robbins and cotran pathologic basis of disease. 170$
And they sell the pack for 500$
Could any utas students tell me which ones i actually need? Would i need any others from the recommended section? I don't tend to use textbooks too often, althogh i think i should start this year..

Thanks.