• ALL USERS: please familiarise yourself with the MSO Forum Rules (updated 03/08/20).
  • UCAT PREP COMPANY DISCUSSION: Site administrators have implemented a rule that states there is to be NO mention of UCAT prep companies. This includes discussion, recommendations, questions, and reviews, and extends to allusions, acronyms, and other other attempts to get around the rule. Offending content will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be warned and may be banned.

COVID-19 Discussion

Crow

Staff
With regards to COVID-19 affecting international student entry, do you reckon unis will be shifting those positions to domestic students or are they just going to accept less applicants in general? I wanna hear people's thoughts on this!
Very unlikely. I don’t actually see international student entry into medicine being affected enough for schools to not meet their quota, but if it is, they’ll need to shift all places to domestic FFPs rather than CSPs.

Reactions: 2xq

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

chinaski

^^This. Schools can't switch full fee paying international spots into Commonwealth-subsidised places for domestics autonomously. Furthermore, it's questionable whether they'd have any desire to do so to in the long run, given the profit they make from the internationals - this is not a market they're going to want to relinquish easily.

The JCU Med 2021 applicant form under the important dates mentions interviews held at JCU Townsville campus or online’, UWA have said on their website that if interviews are unable to be carried out, the SJT of UCAT could be used in candidate selection.
This remains an evolving area, for example, I’m an anaesthetist at a public hospital. Normally we have 2 sittings of our Primary exam, followed by a viva (face to face) exam 6 weeks later. Those who sat in Feb/March in their own states have not sat their vivas, usually held in Melbourne. After consultation with the trainees, it was decided to continue with the 2nd sitting and have them all present for the viva exams in Melbourne. These involves a bunch of Oz/NZ examiners as well as cohorts of Oz/NZcandidates over 3 days.
As of 31/7/20, ANZCA (Anaesthetic college of Oz and NZ) moved the face to face exams to Sydney for all the non-Vic Aussies, with the Victorians to do them in their home state a month later. Kiwis will have their exams in Auckland, NZ. I spoke to the ex-president, they are nervous about doing them online for a number of reasons. So at this stage, it will involve for eg Vic examiners examining Vic candidates etc.
It could change again.
ANZCA have updated their advice, the face to face exams will be held in state hubs, wherever possible, now in November. They’re investigating the possibility of technology assisted exams too as some states have insufficient examiners to examine all their candidates. Normally there is a maximum number of exam attempts, they are allowing an extra one without penalty for 2020. Also they can withdraw without penalty if unable to travel or sickness reasons.

I’d say you’re in a very good position for a WSU interview but UNSW is highly unlikely. Best of luck :)
Thanks heaps to Both Crow and LMG! for your fast responses! Absolute Legends.
Was wondering, given the whole COVID situation probably continuing well into next year, and international students not being able to get into Australia (due to closed borders), is there a chance that universities will accept more national applicants, to make up for the international students they’re losing in 2021?

Crow

Staff
Thanks heaps to Both Crow and LMG! for your fast responses! Absolute Legends.
Was wondering, given the whole COVID situation probably continuing well into next year, and international students not being able to get into Australia (due to closed borders), is there a chance that universities will accept more national applicants, to make up for the international students they’re losing in 2021?
Discussed elsewhere (I'll tag you in the thread where it's discussed before moving these posts) but the short answer is no.

pec3010

Lurker
Hi are there anyone that is a NZ citizen that has been offered, accepted and planning to go to Australia for 2021? Have you sorted out how you will cross the border to enter Australia? At the moment applying for exemption through compassionate and compelling reasons to highlight the intention of 4 years of study may be the only option... Unless we get a Trans-Tasman travel bubble going, but who know if that will actually happen anytime soon.

Any thoughts?

dotwingz

Irregular Member
Valued Member
I believe NZ students apply on the same timeline as domestic students so I doubt you'll find anyone who has been offered and accepted. I think your best bet would be hoping for online interviews, which doesnt seem too unlikely given that residents of Australia are going to have a tough time travelling aswell.

Last edited: