Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

CSU CSU Dentistry: Q&A and General Discussion

Hi ed88,
Are you coming to CSU this year? If you want to check out your timetable you can do so.

Go to
Timetable @ CSU | Charles Sturt University - 2.0.39

Go to subjects

Select multiple subjects for first semester (you can find this by looking at the dentistry handbook) which are BMS129, DOH124, DOH114, PSY111 and CHM102. Make sure you select the subjects that have S1 and OA-I in the title.

Select semester 1 all weeks.

You will be looking at 5 days/week and 6-8 contact hours/day.

Let me know how you go (I have attached your current timetable but it may change).
Hi Tim,
Quick question about your schedule. I see that on a day like Thursday you have 3 Psy111 tutorials back to back to back. Do you have to attend all of these or just one?

Omm

BDSc BSc(HONS) PGradDip Ortho (UK)
Jumping in here, as far as I know its just the one tutorial per week.
Correct. Usually attendance isn’t compulsory. I didn’t attend any as it’s a useless subject lol! In hindsight I wish they taught us about how phobias are developed and management skills for people with them. Also what stresses people out (in life and at the dentist) and coping mechanisms for them. That would help in day to day practice! Most people have some level of anxiety coming in. And almost all go through a phase of clenching/grinding due to stress that is see daily. Not the bs they teach in psych 101.

leez

asking for any current students at csu or know about the accommodation situation - i applied for accommodation and received an offer, for which i have to pay an orientation fee by tomorrow otherwise my offer will be cancelled. i'm also waiting in hope for other offers but in the case i don't receive any more, what are the chances of me getting an ensuite accommodation if i apply again around early jan? thanks heaps :)

Hey! I know this may be a weird question but does anyone know anything about the fail rate @ CSU for for BDS program. I heard it was quite low and most students who do fail get re writes and successfully pass? Also does anyone have any info on the work life balance for someone taking all 5 courses.

Omm

asking for any current students at csu or know about the accommodation situation - i applied for accommodation and received an offer, for which i have to pay an orientation fee by tomorrow otherwise my offer will be cancelled. i'm also waiting in hope for other offers but in the case i don't receive any more, what are the chances of me getting an ensuite accommodation if i apply again around early jan? thanks heaps :)
Chances are high of gettign another offer. Don't you have to pay an application fee though? BTW I'm 3yrs out so take this comment with a grain of salt.

Hey! I know this may be a weird question but does anyone know anything about the fail rate @ CSU for for BDS program. I heard it was quite low and most students who do fail get re writes and successfully pass? Also does anyone have any info on the work life balance for someone taking all 5 courses.
Fail rate is relatively high. Around 6-10% depending on the year. Rewrites are possible but depends on the subject. They don't want to actively fail people, but if your lack of knowledge jeopordises patient care, you will be failed (ex-tutor).

Chances are high of gettign another offer. Don't you have to pay an application fee though? BTW I'm 3yrs out so take this comment with a grain of salt.

Fail rate is relatively high. Around 6-10% depending on the year. Rewrites are possible but depends on the subject. They don't want to actively fail people, but if your lack of knowledge jeopordises patient care, you will be failed (ex-tutor).

Hey OMM, Thanks for the reply! When you Say 6-10% you mean that before the rewrites or after the rewrites, as I heard most do get re writes and pass from there!

Hey OMM, Thanks for the reply! When you Say 6-10% you mean that before the rewrites or after the rewrites, as I heard most do get re writes and pass from there!
Also another quick question, how did you find your first year? How was the work life balance, did you have a full course load?

Omm

Also another quick question, how did you find your first year? How was the work life balance, did you have a full course load?
Things may have changed in recent (2ish) years re:rewrites and pass rates. the uni doesn't want to fail people.

First year was very easy, if there's a year you can work and study, this is it. Especially if you havea science background - biomed, chem etc is straight forward. A word of warning, never try and attend work instead of Dent related subjects. This is heavily frowned upon by the students and staff (and attendance is usually compulsory). Always remember you're there to become a dentist, not to work your part time job.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
First year was very easy, if there's a year you can work and study, this is it. Especially if you have a science background - biomed, chem etc is straight forward. A word of warning, never try and attend work instead of Dent related subjects. This is heavily frowned upon by the students and staff (and attendance is usually compulsory). Always remember you're there to become a dentist, not to work your part time job.

Yikes, that’s interesting. I’m in Med and myself and many of my classmates routinely miss lectures, labs, etc in order to attend work. There are some (fairly minimal) compulsory components of the course, but as long as you’re passing/handing assignments in, etc, no one (and especially not fellow students who will share notes/be supportive etc) frowns upon it. Is this a Dent thing? Or more specifically a CSU Dent thing? I, for one, couldn’t study Med without also working. I’d be bankrupt!

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I’m with LMG. That’s a very disappointing response to students missing classes to work - I’m sure most, if not all, would prefer to be at their classes instead of work if they had a choice! At least, that’s how myself and my peers generally feel - you take work when you can get it, and unfortunately this sometimes means some unavoidable clashes with uni.