Csu interview!!! Help!! 2015 intake

BuccalCusp

I got a rejection email :'(

It was sent at 4 something in the afternoon.

Does anyone know what getting an interview was based on? As a school leaver, you only had your predicted atar, 100 words of hobbies and 25 words of why you want to be a dental student; how do they narrow the numbers down? I know that my school definitely sent a predicted atar of >95 for me.

Random side note: Did anyone receive rejection/interview offers with their names and/or uac on it?

Or purely "Dear Applicant" like me

it's not just based on predicted atar. there is equal (if not greater) importance placed on your work experience, hobbies + interests and the reasoning on why you want to be a dentist - basically the written section of the application. rurality also plays a role, whether it is through work experience in rural areas or the fact that you come from a rural area, since CSU is a rural university.

BuccalCusp

Yeah same here. Pretty bummed but I'll give it another go next year.
I am a non standard applicant, ATAR was 94.15. Doing second degree at uni now with GPA 6.25. Been a dental assistant for two years so far.
I guess it's pretty tough

hey that's a shame but glad you will give it another go next year! your GPA and ATAR are both quite high so maintain that and perhaps work on improving your written application for next time. there was an entire section on community involvement this year, so the written app selection may not hinge entirely on dental experience. i almost gave up on the selection process at one stage but then one year it all worked out - so don't give up :)

anamnazir

babble,

check spam and junk mail.. Thats where my interview offer letter was sitting. I would never have known until they called me and asked why I haven't responded.

anamnazir

Still nothing...should I assume that my app was so bad I didn't even get a rejection letter?

babble,

check spam and junk mail.. Thats where my interview offer letter was sitting. I would never have known until they called me and asked why I haven't responded.

BuccalCusp

Yep, checked everything :( ahhhhh

hey Babble i would keep checking and perhaps give them a ring by the end of this week. if your application was submitted correctly, then you have every right to find out whether it's a yes or no. good luck and fingers crossed something positive comes through! :)

BuccalCusp

hey buccalcusp

just wondering if you know when internationals will be notified about app results.

cheers
sean

hey sean sorry i have no idea about the international offers. i think you said they will notify you by the end of this week? usually they are good on their word so i would just wait and see. all the best :)

Jujube

Lurker
Hey Babble. It's best to give them a ring or an email to see if they received your application.
I realised I left something out my application so I emailed judy before September 30. She got back to me saying they didn't even receive my application although I got the application receipt immediately after I submitted it. So I had to resubmit my application directly to them.
Best of luck to you

HotIce

I have a gpa of 7 and I'm a rural student. Done around 100 hours work experience at 3 rural dental practices who also highly recommended me for dental school in their letters . I have community involvement at the local (rural) medical centre, nursing home and rural women organisation. I was rejected and don't know why.
It can't be my hobbies! or the 30 words to answer why we want to be dentists. I find the application process very ambiguous. I have almost a guaranteed spot at Griffith with my gpa but I really wanted to study dentistry in a rural school as I want to practice in my home town when I'm done.

Quite disappointed to be honest.

perthmale

I have a gpa of 7 and I'm a rural student. Done around 100 hours work experience at 3 rural dental practices who also highly recommended me for dental school in their letters . I have community involvement at the local (rural) medical centre, nursing home and rural women organisation. I was rejected and don't know why.
It can't be my hobbies! or the 30 words to answer why we want to be dentists. I find the application process very ambiguous. I have almost a guaranteed spot at Griffith with my gpa but I really wanted to study dentistry in a rural school as I want to practice in my home town when I'm done.

Dont be too disappointed, as you mentioned your gpa is 7, so Griffith is an option if you really want to do dentistry, although course will cost well over 100k. Entry to CSU is very competitive, only 40 or so places, many applicants, and of those places part will be standard and non-standard, and of the non-standard part will go towards internal students, others to oral health students etc, so when you factor all that in, then places are very limited. It is great to see someone keen on rural, as rural dentists are sadly lacking and a redistribution of dental training positions from metro uni's to rural or semi-rural may assist in attracting more dental students with an interest in rural dental practice.

BuccalCusp

sorry to hear about that. have you tried comparing your application to a similar non-standard applicant that received an interview offer this year? (if you know of someone like that)

HotIce

thanks [MENTION=19426]perthmale[/MENTION]. I completely agree that CSU IS competitive. But just when you think you have ticked all the boxes (perfect GPA, rural, rural work experience etc.) you get hit with the sad rejection letter..

Sadly, I don't feel that I have the option of declining Griffith offer if I ever get one in the hopes of improving my chances at CSU and applying next year as I do not know where I should improve!

I can't do more experience than 100 hours and can't be more rural than RA4. I also can't write more than 30 words on why I want to be a dentist. It is very frustrating and I kind of lost my faith in CSU selection process so I think I will go ahead and accept Griffith's offer (or any other non rural uni) if I get one.

HotIce

sorry to hear about that. have you tried comparing your application to a similar non-standard applicant that received an interview offer this year? (if you know of someone like that)

I just don't see the necessity in doing this as the application was quite short. The only 2 "written" sections were 100 words your interest and hobbies which is a very personal thing to write about, and 30 words of why you want to be a dentist.

I believe I have answered both sections honestly and would not change it if I had to do it again. My community involvement was very extensive and all are in my rural community. My work experience was in 3 rural dental practices. The dentists have also mentioned how much I'm suitable to the rural dentistry profession (in their opinion) as they knew me very well.