Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

CSU Interview Offers for 2013 Entry

mighty

Maybe it is mostly the amount of work experience you do, how much did you do?

Are you applying at any other unis?
It's not. There's a few people that haven't done any work experience at all, and I didn't do that much either whereas there are people who have worked as dental hygienists for 5+ years in the course. They don't look at what dental work exp you've got and pick the people who've got the most - from what I can gather, CSU wants a balanced/mixed group of people and they aren't going to pick their cohort solely out of the Oral Health kids etc.

Don't get down on yourselves guys, remember that there are heaps of applicants. Traditionally it's been 1000+ but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 1200-1300+ this year. Just keep trying and you will get in somewhere eventually. Good luck. :)

mar94

What a great Monday - a rejection email from CSU. Now I only have JCU to pin my hopes on, otherwise it is a year of pharmacy and trying for 2014 entry for me.

any idea when JCU will send out their offers, im international from canada.
All the best, hope we get in :)

lilflower

Haha thanks, i didn't do so well in my hsc last year so i dint make it for dentistry up in griffth or UQ, so i tried like extremely hard to get that distinction average.. :(

lilflower

i didn't do any work experience, so like my application form was blank for the experience in health areas.. =/
i dont really think that's important though, considering we are all hsc students or post HSC ( last year 2011) students they wouldn't expect us to be like working in assistants in dental clinics or working in hospitals. so i really don't know how it works..

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
If there are 1000+ applicants, you really need to make your application unique and stand out from everyone else. Things like work experience can be backed up as evidence to support your claims such as your passion and determination to do dentistry, your interest in this particular health field and so on. You need to reflect on what you have gained from your experiences and what is it that makes you a worthy applicant. Just saying I want to do dentistry because its interesting, isn't showing much thought into it.

defraggle

Negative Nelly for me too. Obviously bummed but resolute on improving for next year.

Looks like I'll be hitting the books for GAMSAT/UMAT for 2014. Just out of interest are there any post-grad peeps who got an interview for CSU this round?

the cat

Negative Nelly for me too. Obviously bummed but resolute on improving for next year.

Looks like I'll be hitting the books for GAMSAT/UMAT for 2014. Just out of interest are there any post-grad peeps who got an interview for CSU this round?

I got an interview offer for CSU and I'm a post-grad.

You just have to keep trying, don't give up....

mighty

i didn't do any work experience, so like my application form was blank for the experience in health areas.. =/
i dont really think that's important though, considering we are all hsc students or post HSC ( last year 2011) students they wouldn't expect us to be like working in assistants in dental clinics or working in hospitals. so i really don't know how it works..
Work experience can be as simple as shadowing your local dentist. That's what I and many other applicants did. They certainly don't expect everyone to work as a DA or in hospitals. To be honest, "I'm studying my HSC" is not a valid excuse to not do work experience. You could've done it in your big summer break or in your other holidays, or organised to do a few weekends here and there. They're not after quantity - they're after what you learnt from doing that work experience. Doing it just shows them that you really do have an interest in the profession.

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Work experience can be as simple as shadowing your local dentist. That's what I and many other applicants did. They certainly don't expect everyone to work as a DA or in hospitals. To be honest, "I'm studying my HSC" is not a valid excuse to not do work experience. You could've done it in your big summer break or in your other holidays, or organised to do a few weekends here and there. They're not after quantity - they're after what you learnt from doing that work experience. Doing it just shows them that you really do have an interest in the profession.
Exactly, not quantity but quality.

Steved

Im a post grad student and i recieved an interview offer this time round. Ive got a degree in radiography and have been working in hospitals for the past three years. I didnt have that much dental experience other then a few days spent in my local practice. Im also from tasmania, not sure if living out of a major centre had anything to do with it.

caitlinnoob

Heavy days... got my rejection email yesterday afternoon :cry:
Never mind, I'm sure clinical science will be interesting too.

Good luck to those with interviews!!

jeng

I still haven't got my rejection email. I'm scared they got my email wrong because I have a 0 so they may have mistaken it for a O. Then again I'm paranoid about everything.

dnzlcuz

To those who did not receive interview offers this year please do not give up. If dentistry is really what you want to do then keep trying. Maybe do a year of uni and aim for a high GPA, or take a gap year and do more work experience. That one extra year will give you a greater insight into dentistry and make you realize whether this is really what you want. I didn't stop trying and I didn't get in until my second time around and here I am starting my third year of dentistry this Feb. And when I look back, I am so glad I did not give up even though people around me were telling me don't bother. I know the dispapointment is hard to deal with but with determination you can do it. Make your dreams, more than dreams ~

inspired. FUUUAAARRKKK

B. biomedicine + d. dental surgery COME AT ME!!!!

So since I haven't received an interview offer, I'll have to wait next time. I'm not quite sure about the uni stuff. Is there selections for semester 2? I've only heard these things from friends. Could you guys explain to me about this and about late round offers? I have a very vague knowledge on this.

Thank guys

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
So since I haven't received an interview offer, I'll have to wait next time. I'm not quite sure about the uni stuff. Is there selections for semester 2? I've only heard these things from friends. Could you guys explain to me about this and about late round offers? I have a very vague knowledge on this.

Thank guys

Do you mean selections into semester 2? In that case, no there isnt :)