Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

CSU The Dentistry Back-Up Plan

• Thread starter Deleted member 15192
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15192

CSU Bachelor of Clinical Science – Pathway to dentistry
This is the official MSO thread for any questions relating to the Bachelor of Clinical Science course at CSU as well as it’s potential for articulation into the Bachelor of Dental Science course. The course also provides facilitated rural entry to the University of Sydney, as preferential treatment will be given for the top graduates of the course providing they obtain appropriate GPA and GAMSAT results, success in interview and classifying of rural origin (however it is not essential for them to originate from a rural background). I encourage those who have questions or concerns to private message me, and I will correct/answer it on here.
Specific info can be found here:
Course overview | Bachelor of Clinical Science | Undergraduate | Courses | Charles Sturt University

What is it all about?
The course has been specifically structured to meet the expectations of graduate entry medicine, dentistry and other allied health programs across Australia. As an alternative, graduates can use the degree as the basis for employment within the health or research sector, or articulation into other courses.

Career opportunities
Graduates of the clinical science course may progress into graduate entry medicine, dentistry, or articulation into allied health programs or scientific research employment in the public health system. These areas include: epidemiology, health system planning, health screening, and health promotion, employment in private clinical and/or hospital technologist positions including renal dialysis, asthma testing, exercise testing and cardiology.

How can it help me in relation to the Bachelor of Dental Science course?
The Bachelor of Clinical Science course is the preferred pathway into dentistry at CSU, as it encompasses a wide-range of content also studied by those in the dentistry course. With direct subject linkage to:
BMS129 Physiological Sciences 1
BMS130 Physiological Sciences 2
PSY111 Foundations of Psychology for Health & Human Services

Why should I do this course over, say, the Bachelor of Oral Health?
This is a big question, and really depends on the individual’s preferences as to what they would be happy to do, should they complete the degree as a result of being unsuccessful in articulating into dentistry after subsequent years.
The most important thing to take into account is once enrolled; your GPA becomes the biggest academic factor in your success in getting accepted, as it essentially replaces the role of the ATAR. With this in mind, one must assess the difficulty of obtaining a competitive GPA with regard to both courses.

It is arguably easier to obtain a higher GPA within the clinical science degree as oppose to oral health. This is because the amount of practical within the oral health course, far outweigh those within clinical science in terms of amount and difficulty. While this does depend largely on the individual, the majority speaks in favor of clinical science.

PREP Admission process:
Step 1. Apply for the Bachelor of Clinical Science course via UAC by 28[SUP]th[/SUP] September.
Step 2. Complete the PREP application form and ensure it arrives at the Wagga Wagga Campus by 19[SUP]th[/SUP] September
Step 3. Wait for your results. Students are notified of successful offers by the 16[SUP]th[/SUP] November.

General Admission process:
Step 1. Apply for the Bachelor of Clinical Science course via UAC by 28[SUP]th[/SUP] September
Step 2. Wait for your results. Students are notified of successful during the main round.

If I didn’t get in through PREP, does that mean I won’t get a place at all?
NO. If you are unsuccessful in obtaining early entry, then you are placed with the rest of the applicants who applied via UAC, and will be considered during the main round.
More info on PREP: Principal's report entry program (PREP) | Getting into Uni | Study on Campus | Charles Sturt University

Where?
Orange Campus.
Duration?
3 years – full time.
Available to Internationals?
Yes.
How many people apply?
Roughly 100-200 people apply each year
How many get in?
40 places are given.
What ATAR do I need?
CSU requires an indicative ATAR of 70 as the cut-off (Inclusive of regional bonus).

Scholarships
CSU’s Science Scholarships are available for on campus applicants to this course who achieve an ATAR of 80 (inclusive of regional bonus), providing $4,000 p.a. for up to four years subject to satisfactory progress. Once awarded, the student may spend it in whichever way assists them most effectively.
See CSU Science Scholarship | Equity | Scholarships | Scholarships & help with costs | Fees and costs 2013 | Courses | Charles Sturt University for more info.

For more information about courses and how to apply,
Please contact info.csu:
Freecall in Australia: 1800 334 733
International callers: +64 2 6338 6077
Facsimile: +61 2 6338 6001
Email: [email protected]
Web inquiry: www.csu.edu.au/study/inquiry

Thanks all,
~ Rickman

Last edited by a moderator:

lulus91

B Clinical Science: Important information to all people wanting to gain entry into dentistry, med or allied health in the next coming years.

I am a recent graduate of the Bachelor of Clinical Science Program at CSU Orange. It frustrates me that the university has not made it clear to applicants of the dental science program as well those entering as standards, about the true objectives of the program and it's 'alleged' facilitated entry. So please, let me enlighten you into what the true course objectives are and the truth regarding transfer into dental science.

1. You cannot transfer into Dental Science until 2nd year clinical science. Yes this wasn't the case previously, but was changed around 2 yrs ago. A lot of people were let down last year as they thought they could just transfer from first year, but you now must complete second year.

2. There is NO facilitated entry program in the University of Sydney for both medicine and dentistry. The contract ended a year ago and Sydney are not allowing anymore CSU students into the program. So please do not enter the program based on this alone.

3. The true objectives of clinical science is to prepare graduates for post-grad med and dent, but also undergrad program's as a post graduate. It was never meant as a 'halfway hotel' for those who got knocked back from dentistry and want to transfer. It was specifically designed to meet the needs of the post-grad program's, this is why you do chem, anatomy, genetics etc. As you have gathered from other students, only 2-3 people gain entry into dental science each year from clinical science and it is very competitive. Please do not think your life is over once this happens and drop out, the experiences and subjects you complete in 3rd year largely out way any adv science or medical science program by a tonne. We complete PBL scenarios which are widely used in the majority of medical and dental program's across Australia. Completing clinical science as a degree will give you a much better chance to get into CSU dentistry then trying to transfer.

I hope this post was helpful for potential students. In my time as a student ambassador, I saw many students led astray by the confusing information provided by the university. Clinical Science is a superior pre-med and pre-dent course and follows the similar principals of the US medical (college) system. I encourage those wanting to enter Medicine and Dentistry as well as other Allied Health program's to do Clinical Science as you will come out a competent and well prepared student.

BuccalCusp

I would like to refute and clarify certain details presented above before the January offer rounds are complete:

"1. You cannot transfer into Dental Science until 2nd year clinical science. Yes this wasn't the case previously, but was changed around 2 yrs ago. A lot of people were let down last year as they thought they could just transfer from first year, but you now must complete second year."

This is complete and utter rubbish.
In the 2014 B Dental Science intake, at least 7-8 students were selected directly from 1st year B Clinical Science. At last count there were about 11-12 students accepted from all three years of B Clinical Science - which means more than 50% were taken from 1st year. The course itself is very comprehensive and the faculty members and lecturers from B Clinical Science wholeheartedly help you to try and reach whatever goals you may have.

"3. The true objectives of clinical science is to prepare graduates for post-grad med and dent, but also undergrad program's as a post graduate. It was never meant as a 'halfway hotel' for those who got knocked back from dentistry and want to transfer. It was specifically designed to meet the needs of the post-grad program's, this is why you do chem, anatomy, genetics etc. As you have gathered from other students, only 2-3 people gain entry into dental science each year from clinical science and it is very competitive."

While this may be somewhat true,
the fact that about 12-13 students were accepted from B Clinical Science into B Dental Science in 2014 goes to show the value of the course and the obvious fact that if you could be bothered to go to Orange and study for entry into dentistry, then it is very much possible to attain a course transfer. However, finishing the course would also set you up for a better chance at gaining entry to a whole host of medical, dental and allied health courses across Australia. The course is designed to help you get prepared for such courses, and the lecturers and staff go out of their way to help you reach that goal.

B Clinical Science is no walk in the park. During the first year, you are completing 4-5 subjects directly with the B Dental Science students. It is very competitive, but if you put your head down and do the work - you should be able to at least get an interview. In 2013, the B Dental Science faculty advised B Clinical Science 1st Year students that a minimum GPA of 5 (preferably 5.5 or above) is the requirement for consideration of your written application. They will not have access to Semester 2 results, so effectively your GPA in Semester 1 is used for the written application to even be read - otherwise it goes straight to the rejection pile. After that you need to maintain or improve above GPA 5 to cement the offer should your written application AND interview be successful.

The B Dental Science staff are very transparent about the basic application process, and successful internal course transfer students are advised at the same time as UAC offers - if not earlier. There is nothing like the current ridiculous situation experienced at JCU, where internal course transfer students into Dentistry or Medicine are kept hanging until possibly even the census date!

It is a difficult pathway - the 2013 B Clinical Science 1st year cohort had an average GPA of 6 - but it is probably a more suitable pathway of entry into courses such as Dentistry, Medicine or other Allied Health professions than most other courses offered by other universities.

In any case, you should always contact the university faculty and speak to course coordinators or admin staff directly on programs rather than basing your judgement entirely on what is written above or elsewhere on MSO. Even university program information websites are usually quite detailed and up to date.

I am happy to answer any questions about what I have written above, so feel free to PM me :lol:

Last edited:

caitlinnoob

Yay!! I couldn't wait to reply to this thread once I had a place in dent officially, because seriously, I don't know what lulus91 is on about up there... I remember seeing this post just before commencing the degree and it freaked me out!! (n)

BuccalCusp has addressed most of what I was going to argue, but I just wanted to add the following:

"2. There is NO facilitated entry program in the University of Sydney for both medicine and dentistry. The contract ended a year ago and Sydney are not allowing anymore CSU students into the program. So please do not enter the program based on this alone.":

The university didn't try to hide the change. When I applied through UAC for clinical science, I got an email from CSU telling me all about this. It stated that there would no longer be a "specific facilitated rural pathway" for clinical science graduates, and instead they would have to compete for a place as would any other student.

Clinical science was awesome. It was competitive and definitely challenging (plenty of people fail - it isn't an easy pathway!), but the staff are great and really do try to help you out with interviews, applications etc. It really is a course designed to help you achieve your goals :lol:

I thought as a school leaver, it was a great way to get adjusted to uni life and living away from home, before commencing a difficult and full on degree such as dentistry (not that clinical science is exactly easy). I would also recommend it for other school leavers who are interested in health, but not 100% sure on a specific area.

Last edited:

Nirav

Lurker
Hi guys. I need to ask few specific questions about admission to bachelor of clinical science and potential transfer to bachelors of dental science. Here is brief about me. I have completed bachelor of nursing- graduate entry with 5.17 GPA (I know it's not good GPA to expect admission to dentistry). Also during my nursing studies I have won national championship (academic) and vice chancellor's award for university engagement. Also i have partake in numerous extracurricular activities. Now, with this profile, is is likely to get admission into Bachelors of clinical science?
Also, what is the application process? I mean when to apply and how many seats available for clinical science course? when do we get to know that I have accepted in the course?
Also I have fe sensitive information to share. I am not sure how to contact you guys. Therefore I am leaving my contact detail. it would be great help if you guys can get back to me. My email id is; [email protected]

Hope to read from you soon. Thank you..

Nirav

Lurker
Hey guys. I will be joining Bachelors of clinical science from next year, 2015 with aim to transfer into dentistry.. any advise, what should I do for this whole (almost) year, in order to boost my profile up for Dentistry consideration?

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads