Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Curtin Curtin Medicine: General Questions and Discussion

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
Curtin University is offering a 5 year Medicine course as of 2017. The following outlines their entry requirements, though it is difficult to give any exact details beyond what is available on their applications page and admissions guide.

A total of 60 places are offered with an anticipated 180 interviews. Curtin hopes to admit 50% 'general', 25% rural, 20% equity, 5% Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples, though they state that any unfilled spots for rural/equity/Indigenous places will be filled from the general pool.

Overall requirements:
ATAR: A minimum 95 cut-off is posted, though it is likely to be 97+. A predicted ATAR is required before 30th October
GPA: No details as of yet re: GPA requirements or pre-requisites. The application guide describes a minimum ATAR of 92 so it is possible there is either an ATAR cutoff OR a ATAR/GPA combined score.
UMAT: Minimum 50-50-50 for S1-S2-S3
Subjects: Chemistry & English
Interview: Absolutely zero details about what the interview entails at this point other than stating it is a Multiple Mini Interview. The application guide states they will offer 180 interviews.

Rankings for Interview:
School leavers: Predicted ATAR + UMAT
Non-Standards: Minimum ATAR of 92/GPA + UMAT. The application guide states they will use a 'notional ATAR' for ranking non-standard applicants but I don't know what this means in that context.

Rankings for Offers:
ATAR/GPA - 40% - UMAT - 20% - Interview 40%
Rural and Indigenous applicants are placed in a seperate pool for ranking.

Due Dates:
Rural & Equity:
A form is available here. Due date is 30th September. Curtin states they use the Modified Monash Scale (3-7) for school leavers that have lived in a rural area for 5 years consecutively or 10 years cumulatively in total since starting primary school.

Predicted ATAR:
A form is available here. It must be submitted to Curtin by the 14th October, 5:00PM (N.B. This does not state whether it must be mailed by that date or whether it must be received by then.)

Interview:
January 2017 is given as the month - no specific details presently re: actual interview dates.

There is significantly more information apparently available in this video, if someone is willing to watch it & post a summary that would be fantastic! I will try to get to it before the end of the week otherwise.

drpkjr

Hi I was wondering if any ofyone has heard how the current Med students at Curtin are finding the program? Any pros or cons to consider?

Katherine

Hi,

Just seeing if by any chance anyone knows the data for a non standard student that was accepted into the medicine course at curtin in 2017, so their UMAT and GPA.

Thank you!

Last edited:

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi,
Just seeing if by any chance anyone knows the data for a non standard student that was accepted into the medicine at curtin in 2017, so there UMAT and GPA. Thank you!

I remember seeing one not-so-high who got a Curtin place, something like GPA 6 and sub-90 UMAT but it's not shown in the collated data. Will post again if I find it.

I remember seeing one not-so-high who got a Curtin place, something like GPA 6 and sub-90 UMAT but it's not shown in the collated data. Will post again if I find it.
Did you end up finding any non-standard curtin applicants by chance A1?

A1

Rookie Doc

Chris123

Lurker
Hi everyone

I'm trying to determine my chances of an interview at Curtin??
I finished my uni degree 10 years ago. Distinction average
UMAT score:
S1- 55
S2- 67
S3- 50
Percentile- 82

Thanks

Ruffle

Puffle
Emeritus Staff
Hi everyone

I'm trying to determine my chances of an interview at Curtin??
I finished my uni degree 10 years ago. Distinction average
UMAT score:
S1- 55
S2- 67
S3- 50
Percentile- 82

Thanks
You meet the minimum academic requirement for a Bachelors degree (distinction average) and last year there was a non-standard who received an interview with a UMAT of 78, so you should get an interview. :)

Good luck!

MamoJamho

Does anyone have any idea when Curtin will be releasing first round interview offers? First round interviews will be held between 29-30 November yet it seems there hasn't been news about interviews offers.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Does anyone have any idea when Curtin will be releasing first round interview offers? First round interviews will be held between 29-30 November yet it seems there hasn't been news about interviews offers.

From the website:
"Late November Top ranked applicants are invited to attend a Multi
Mini Interview (First Round)"

Last year it was the 22nd.

Dr Dent

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Does anyone know when interstate applicants are invited for Curtin med interviews?

fupson

Can anyone who has done an interview at curtin share their experience?
I didn't personally interview at Curtin, but I've heard from someone who did interview there last year that it was very ethical/discussion based, a lot of stations were about current issues in the healthcare system and sharing opinions and such. Though I can't exactly comment on the accuracy, so take it with a grain of salt perhaps! Also, apparently Curtin is new to the MMI system, so this could very likely change with interviews this year.

namida

ms-owesome
Hi everyone!
I was just wondering whether any interstate applicants have received an interview invitation yet from Curtin University? If so, will it be possible for you to please post your ATAR and UMAT score?
Thank you!

P.S. - Just called them and they said that tomorrow is the last day that they will be sending out interview invitations.

1234med

Hi everyone!
I was just wondering whether any interstate applicants have received an interview invitation yet from Curtin University? If so, will it be possible for you to please post your ATAR and UMAT score?
Thank you!

P.S. - Just called them and they said that tomorrow is the last day that they will be sending out interview invitations.
Seems like the requirements have changed this year. I know of friends with ~98 ATAR and 80s UMAT last year who got a place offer last year, yet I haven't heard of anything yet.