Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Curtin University: General Questions and Discussion

Dhanda

How many seats are at Curtin right now, I looked at the table A1 made but I'm pretty sure the amount of seats has increased.

Logic

Medical Student
Silliest Member 2018
Why are you pretty sure of that?
I believe the poster is referring to the increase in Curtin medical places that are going to occur over the next few years:

Source: Curtin’s medical program receives accreditation - News and Events | Curtin University, Perth, Western Australia

How many seats are at Curtin right now, I looked at the table A1 made but I'm pretty sure the amount of seats has increased.
Since you're going to be applying for entry in 2021 (as your profile states you are currently in year 11), and as there are currently 90 for 2020 entry, there is going to be 100 domestic places for your entry cohort in 2021 as there is an increase of 10 domestic places per year over 5 years.

Source: Curtin's new medical school to open Midland campus by 2019

Last edited:

A1

Admissions Speculator
Curtin's first intake was 2017 right? In that year's Guide there was a table showing 50 places then increasing by 10 a year until 100. If that held true then 70 in 2019, 80 in 2020.

(Just saw Logic's post, looks like they started off with 10 more than published so will be 90 in 2020 reaching 110 in 2022).

Pants

Greetings fellow aspiring medlings! After extensive thorough but unsuccessful searching I've been unable to find the answer to an important question, so I'm turning to you fine young people in hope..

I'm desperately looking for some form of course to satisfy Curtin Medical School's chemistry prerequisite, namely: "Chemistry ATAR or equivalent" (https://s26475.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/mbbs-admissions-guide-jul-2018v1.pdf)

I emphasise the "or equivalent" because it's already well past the SCSA's census date and I therefore cannot possibly enrol in an actual chemistry ATAR course (eg. with an adult education provider). Certainly not in WA, anyway.

This is for entry as a Curtin Course Switcher in 2020, therefore:
- Completing Curtin's introductory and biological chem units CHEM1003 + CHEM1005 is not possible as one is the prerequisite for the other; the relevant department at Curtin cannot grant a requisite waiver (even for someone who has passed three GAMSATs and even dabbled in tutoring general and organic chem); and the units cannot be taken concurrently (and there's only one semester remaining in 2019.
- ATAR Chemistry itself, at least insofar as WA schools are concerned, is impossible due to the above mentioned census date.
- Because it's already May, it has to be either self-paced or have a mandatory minimum completion time/floor no greater than ~six months.
- UniLearn's Chemistry course (https://www.open.edu.au/subjects/unilearn-chemistry-unl-unl21) is no-go because Curtin Medical School does not accept it.

Has anyone here taken a non-school and non-Curtin Chem (the CHEM1003 + CHEM1005 approach) pathway to satisfying Curtin's chemistry prerequisite?

Has anyone here successfully done something similar to satisfy a different med school's chem prerequisite?

Any ideas where I should look for courses? (other than Curtin Medical School, who can't help me).

What do people in your state normally do when they need to meet a prerequisite that's equivalent to ATAR/HSC/whatever other acronym you use?

Thanks in advance! <3

LMG!

Admodistrator
Greetings fellow aspiring medlings! After extensive thorough but unsuccessful searching I've been unable to find the answer to an important question, so I'm turning to you fine young people in hope..

I'm desperately looking for some form of course to satisfy Curtin Medical School's chemistry prerequisite, namely: "Chemistry ATAR or equivalent" (https://s26475.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/mbbs-admissions-guide-jul-2018v1.pdf)

I emphasise the "or equivalent" because it's already well past the SCSA's census date and I therefore cannot possibly enrol in an actual chemistry ATAR course (eg. with an adult education provider). Certainly not in WA, anyway.

This is for entry as a Curtin Course Switcher in 2020, therefore:
- Completing Curtin's introductory and biological chem units CHEM1003 + CHEM1005 is not possible as one is the prerequisite for the other; the relevant department at Curtin cannot grant a requisite waiver (even for someone who has passed three GAMSATs and even dabbled in tutoring general and organic chem); and the units cannot be taken concurrently (and there's only one semester remaining in 2019.
- ATAR Chemistry itself, at least insofar as WA schools are concerned, is impossible due to the above mentioned census date.
- Because it's already May, it has to be either self-paced or have a mandatory minimum completion time/floor no greater than ~six months.
- UniLearn's Chemistry course (https://www.open.edu.au/subjects/unilearn-chemistry-unl-unl21) is no-go because Curtin Medical School does not accept it.

Has anyone here taken a non-school and non-Curtin Chem (the CHEM1003 + CHEM1005 approach) pathway to satisfying Curtin's chemistry prerequisite?

Has anyone here successfully done something similar to satisfy a different med school's chem prerequisite?

Any ideas where I should look for courses? (other than Curtin Medical School, who can't help me).

What do people in your state normally do when they need to meet a prerequisite that's equivalent to ATAR/HSC/whatever other acronym you use?

Thanks in advance! <3
Have you contacted Curtin medicine admissions directly and asked for advice?

I was in this position when applying to UTAS MBBS. My high school chemistry had ‘expired’ and I needed to re-do it. UTAS offered a Foundation Chemistry unit that was deemed equivalent to Yr 12 chemistry and that Medicine admissions accepted. It was also offered via summer school and was 99% online, which made it very accessible. It was also fee free, which made it even more appealing.

UTAS Medicine admissions gave me all this information, which is why I wondered whether you’d contacted Curtin.

Pants

Have you contacted Curtin medicine admissions directly and asked for advice?

I was in this position when applying to UTAS MBBS. My high school chemistry had ‘expired’ and I needed to re-do it. UTAS offered a Foundation Chemistry unit that was deemed equivalent to Yr 12 chemistry and that Medicine admissions accepted. It was also offered via summer school and was 99% online, which made it very accessible. It was also fee free, which made it even more appealing.

UTAS Medicine admissions gave me all this information, which is why I wondered whether you’d contacted Curtin.
Yessir I have - that's what I was alluding to when I said that Curtin "can't help me" :)

That UTAS unit you did - do you know whether it now appears on your transcript? Because Curtin's admissions guide states that Curtin Course Switchers (me) cannot have a "tertiary record" from any other institution, which I'm led to believe means you can't have done any formal units elsewhere (whereas bridging style courses etc would be OK).

If you have a link to the UTAS unit handy I'll pass it on to Curtin for review if it approximates their own units' learning outcomes closely enough.

Cheers!

A1

Admissions Speculator
I found this JCU CH1020 that hopefully meets Curtin's requirement
"This subject is a bridging chemistry subject designed to be equivalent of Queensland Senior high school chemistry (and its equivalents in other Australian states). Completion of this subject satisfies the chemistry entry requirements for many JCU degree programs."

> Subject Search - JCU Australia

It's one semester run three times a year
Cairns semester 1 (no good)
Townsville semester 2 (possible but requires attendance)
Townsville semester 3 - Face to face teaching 17-Jan-2019 to 11-Feb-2019. Presumably there will be one Jan to Feb 2020.

Since it's in Jan-Feb I remember LMG! was required to show proof of enrollment in the Chem bridging course when applying for (or being offered) UTas Med. Ask Curtin if they will accept the same. Best of luck.

LMG!

Admodistrator
Yessir I have - that's what I was alluding to when I said that Curtin "can't help me" :)

That UTAS unit you did - do you know whether it now appears on your transcript? Because Curtin's admissions guide states that Curtin Course Switchers (me) cannot have a "tertiary record" from any other institution, which I'm led to believe means you can't have done any formal units elsewhere (whereas bridging style courses etc would be OK).

If you have a link to the UTAS unit handy I'll pass it on to Curtin for review if it approximates their own units' learning outcomes closely enough.

Cheers!
Chemistry Foundation Unit (KRA001) - Courses & Units - University of Tasmania, Australia

This is the unit I did. It was specifically designed to meet UTAS first year needs though (Chem subjects, BPharm, and MBBS), so I’m not suggesting it will be universally acceptable. For example, it wasn’t acceptable for JCU, they wanted me to do the course A1 has linked. Needless to say, I didn’t bother.

The UTAS summer school course has two full lab days (9-5) back to back that you’d have to attend in person, so this may not be feasible for you.

And I actually have no idea if this is on my transcript, it’s never mattered so I’ve never checked.

TKAO

crossed fingers for ATAR
Gold star winner
Not quite sure if anyone cares but I think this year will actually be 90 places - not 80.

working backwards from 110 places in 2022, would leave 90 places for 2020, which is corroborated by:
under 'How many places are available'
An interesting thing to note about Curtin is that their 4th and 5th year students have to go to midland instead of their normal Bentley campus in 1st/2nd/3rd. This is a huge difference considering the distance between those two is a 25 minute drive compared to UWA and its health campus which is only 5 minutes away from the main campus.