Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Curtin Curtin Medicine: General Questions and Discussion

lillysayse

MBBS III
Hi everyone!
I was just wondering whether any interstate applicants have received an interview invitation yet from Curtin University? If so, will it be possible for you to please post your ATAR and UMAT score?
Thank you!

P.S. - Just called them and they said that tomorrow is the last day that they will be sending out interview invitations.

Did you call the medical school or Curtin admissions?

Special consideration applications have not been assessed yet (they are due today) so I am doubting they've told you the correct information.

1234med

Uh surely not? If 99 UMAT and 99.10 ATAR isn't getting an interview offer, then something's up?
Or ATAR has suddenly been weighed a lot more than UMAT? Or they've increased the quota of rural/ Indigenous/ special consideration applicants drastically?

namida

ms-owesome
Uh surely not? If 99 UMAT and 99.10 ATAR isn't getting an interview offer, then something's up?
Or ATAR has suddenly been weighed a lot more than UMAT? Or they've increased the quota of rural/ Indigenous/ special consideration applicants drastically?
Not sure... I called the medical school up today and they said that the last date was tomorrow.

bigaboy

Think there might have been some miscommunication. I talked to the med admissions officer and he said they are going to release them tomorrow. None have been released yet

I think this is more likely, 99.70 and 99th and I haven’t received an interview invite either

UpTheGunners

Griffith MD II
I had 99.70 and 72% UMAT (made 50/50/50 rule) but no interview yet.

Think cutoffs are higher this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

inchoate

I had 99.70 and 72% UMAT (made 50/50/50 rule) but no interview yet.

Think cutoffs are higher this year.

Wow that's surprising- I only got 97.8 and a 93 umat and I got an interview invite?? maybe they're being stricter with umat idk

not sure if i'll actually go considering the relatively low chance of me getting an offer with my atar though

Dhanda

How many seats are at Curtin right now, I looked at the table A1 made but I'm pretty sure the amount of seats has increased.

L

Logic

Why are you pretty sure of that?
I believe the poster is referring to the increase in Curtin medical places that are going to occur over the next few years:

Source: Curtin’s medical program receives accreditation - News and Events | Curtin University, Perth, Western Australia

How many seats are at Curtin right now, I looked at the table A1 made but I'm pretty sure the amount of seats has increased.
Since you're going to be applying for entry in 2021 (as your profile states you are currently in year 11), and as there are currently 90 for 2020 entry, there is going to be 100 domestic places for your entry cohort in 2021 as there is an increase of 10 domestic places per year over 5 years.

Source: Curtin's new medical school to open Midland campus by 2019

Last edited by a moderator:

A1

Rookie Doc

Curtin's first intake was 2017 right? In that year's Guide there was a table showing 50 places then increasing by 10 a year until 100. If that held true then 70 in 2019, 80 in 2020.

(Just saw Logic's post, looks like they started off with 10 more than published so will be 90 in 2020 reaching 110 in 2022).

Pants

Lurker
Greetings fellow aspiring medlings! After extensive thorough but unsuccessful searching I've been unable to find the answer to an important question, so I'm turning to you fine young people in hope..

I'm desperately looking for some form of course to satisfy Curtin Medical School's chemistry prerequisite, namely: "Chemistry ATAR or equivalent" (https://s26475.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/mbbs-admissions-guide-jul-2018v1.pdf)

I emphasise the "or equivalent" because it's already well past the SCSA's census date and I therefore cannot possibly enrol in an actual chemistry ATAR course (eg. with an adult education provider). Certainly not in WA, anyway.

This is for entry as a Curtin Course Switcher in 2020, therefore:
- Completing Curtin's introductory and biological chem units CHEM1003 + CHEM1005 is not possible as one is the prerequisite for the other; the relevant department at Curtin cannot grant a requisite waiver (even for someone who has passed three GAMSATs and even dabbled in tutoring general and organic chem); and the units cannot be taken concurrently (and there's only one semester remaining in 2019.
- ATAR Chemistry itself, at least insofar as WA schools are concerned, is impossible due to the above mentioned census date.
- Because it's already May, it has to be either self-paced or have a mandatory minimum completion time/floor no greater than ~six months.
- UniLearn's Chemistry course (https://www.open.edu.au/subjects/unilearn-chemistry-unl-unl21) is no-go because Curtin Medical School does not accept it.

Has anyone here taken a non-school and non-Curtin Chem (the CHEM1003 + CHEM1005 approach) pathway to satisfying Curtin's chemistry prerequisite?

Has anyone here successfully done something similar to satisfy a different med school's chem prerequisite?

Any ideas where I should look for courses? (other than Curtin Medical School, who can't help me).

What do people in your state normally do when they need to meet a prerequisite that's equivalent to ATAR/HSC/whatever other acronym you use?

Thanks in advance! <3