Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

CSU dental experience

if you do not have any dental experience will you still have a chance to be offered an interview and has anyone gotten in with no dental experience?

thanks

Raiden

Yes and yes. I Had no "dental experience" but it DEFINITELY helps if you do shadow a local dentist or something. If anything, it'll solidify the reasons why you want to do dent (or put you off it, idk), which is what the interviewers will ask you about anyway :) .

oh ok thank you so much i asked my dentist if i could shadow in his clinic but he said no one does it anymore since there is a new policy that was created by the insurance since i go to no gap dentals anyway thanks! i was worried that i may not be able to get in since i wont have any dental experience, just have to maintain my gpa for this year haha

Raiden

Well, even having a conversation with your dentist about what he does in a typical day, his experiences, what he likes and dislikes about the career etc. etc. would be pretty helpful interview prep. You could also try other dentists, maybe they don't enforce this "new policy" you talk about as strictly.

mighty

It's possible, but IMO you want to do everything you can to improve your chances of getting in because spots for dentistry are very competitive. Doing some kind of work exp demonstrates that you have an interest in the profession and that you're actually motivated bough to do something about it. Keep asking around til you find somewhere that will let you shadow. :)

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
I would recommend to shadow a dentist or two. Its not about how much you did what you gained out of it :)

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Like Hutch said, its what you can draw from your experiences, not how many you do. Although, the more you do may mean more experiences to draw from. This applies to all unis, including CSU.

C2H6

Yepp definitely agree with muse and hutch. You should easily be able to get experience in a clinic or two before applications are due. I went to two different clinics within a period of a week in a small holiday of mine. Even if you only do a few days at one, its better then nothing..

Oh and everyone at my interviews had experience. I know that doesn't necessarily mean you have to, but there is a trend there..

oh ok ill go and ask around after my finals and i also work in a health care facility so ill try and put that in my application plus 1 or 2 more from a dental clinic

thanks everyone! :D