Dentistry 2019

Discussion in 'Dentistry Entrance' started by ajs604, Nov 30, 2017.

1. ajs604

ajs604 Member

Hi, so I have decided to apply to JCU for Dentistry. Gemsas worked my GPA out wrong ( British degree), it is actually 5.6 and not 5.3. I know the application for JCU is based on experience, interview and then GPA. I have practiced rurually in my current profession and have also lived in rural places prior to moving to Aus, so I am not too concerned about that. I am also shadowing a Dentist and Orthodontist every week now on my days off from work. Does anyone know if I could boost my GPA with an honours year? In England by default we get a BSc Hons, but here it I a separate degree. So I was thinking of doing a honours year next year via distance ed as a back up in case I don't get in.

2. Yamster

Yamster 010110010110000101101101

Yam
    Hi ajs604,

I'm not entirely sure about the ranking process for JCU, I had a quick look here: Selection process and it seems to state that: "All other applicants are considered on the basis of tertiary study, specifically the Grade Point Average (GPA) from their most recent course.". If that were to read literally, then I don't think honours would have an effect? Maybe Benjamin would know.

I know that UQ/Griffith holds any form of research in high regard, eg. if you have 1st Class Honours, Masters by Thesis/Research or a PhD then you are automatically assigned a ranking of 99 by UQ (in Griffith's case it will be the equivalent of a GPA 7 as a rank 99 is not sufficient for dentistry/medicine entry there but a GPA 7 is pretty much guaranteed). Note that UQ requires you sit the UMAT whereas Griffith does not.

If you're keen on the undergraduate pathway, you could also consider applying to CSU's BDentSc program, they look at your UMAT score first and foremost as interview offers are based solely on your UMAT score. A combination of your UMAT score + interview outcome is used to then determine offers (this is where your GPA might be used as a tie-breaker if you've got the same combo as someone else).

You should also consider applying to USYD via the post-graduate entry pathway as their DMD entrance requirement only uses GPA as a hurdle (you need a credit average = GPA 5), eg. having a GPA of 5 does not hinder your chances compared to say someone with a 7 (although it might be used as a tie breaker like the CSU example). If you've achieved this hurdle (which you have), then entrance is based entire on your interview and GAMSAT score (a 59 this year for 2018 entry - which is relatively achievable).

I'm not sure how old your tertiary degree is but there are time restrictions placed on completed degrees, after a certain number of years, you're ineligible to apply with that degree. In most instances, tertiary institutions observe the 10 year rule, eg. if your degree was completed before January 1st, 2009 then you're ineligible to apply using that degree.

Probably avoid post-grad entry into UMELB/UWA as GPA is not hurdle based and since they're apart of the GEMSAS consortium, an honours year would wipe out the results from the first year of your last 3 years, but they'd still considered the grades from your last 2 years in addition to your honours year. This method might work if your first year was the one dragging down your grades.

I hope to see you around on one of the dentistry forums in the near future (as a dental student :)).

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    Mana likes this.
  3. Benjamin

Benjamin Resident (JCU MBBS) Administrar

My understanding of the JCU process for Med & Dent is that they look at GPA first, if you have two equal candidates with the same GPA but one has honours / higher degree then I would think they would rank them higher. I believe that most universities use the 1st class honours / PhD as a GPA 7.0 & wouldn't expect JCU to be any different.

4. ajs604

ajs604 Member

Thank you both for your advice, it is much appreciated.

I am not sure a English honours degree has the same bearing in Australia. I obtained a 2.1 upper class honours degree in podiatry which was inclusive of my 3 yr BSc. I got 68% for my honours project but it was in the earlier years of my degree which dragged my GPA down as I was much less focused. Everyone graduates with honours in the UK unless they are an exceptionally poor student.

Unfortunately my degree was in 2008, so just over 10 years old. I am drawn more to JCU as they also focus on previous life experience. I have worked in rural Australia before and I feel that being a Podiatrist I must have pretty good manual dexterity skills, which could only stand me in good stead for the clinical aspects of dentistry. I am pretty sure I am out of time for USYD due to the 10 year rule and to be considered I would need to do a post grad diploma. I am 36 next year so I was hoping to get the ball rolling.