Dentistry application at JCU

Discussion in 'Dentistry Entrance' started by Fnjwoqbdl, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Crow

Crow Moderator Moderator

Worth pointing out that JCU changed their system last year so that rather than allowing applicants to submit one application for dentistry and a separate one for medicine, they can only submit one application now. My personal viewpoint is that it’d be quite difficult (of course not impossible) to convince someone that I wanted to pursue two (possibly three if also applying for physio) relatively different career paths with the same set of reasoning. Of course you can mention separate reasons for why medicine and why dentistry in the same application, but there is only a relatively small amount of space to write answers as it is, and needing to split this into two could prove quite difficult for some people.

2. LMG!

LMG! UTAS MBBS I Moderator

Clinical Psychologist
    I actually think this makes it easier for those wanting to apply to multiple degrees (and doesn’t change things for those that don’t), so it’s probably going to vary from person to person, tbh.

3. Nori

Nori New Member

Hey, so I don't have any work experience with dentistry but upon reading this forum, I think that I just wasted another year of study. I'm a R1 metropolitan and non-standard applicant.

To give you background,
    In the process of preparing for my application, I read numerous accounts of dentists in rural communities and what made their career difficult. I also read about how oral health in rural communities can change - that Commonwealth should supply more funding to JCU so they could accept more applicants and be in favour of domestic applicants than internationals to commit to work in rural communities in Australia (despite internationals being an important source of profit).

So my application highlighted my decision to pursue a rural career in spite of the difficulties that I would inevitably encounter and only mentioned briefly on Indigenous communities. And since I have no work experience with Dentistry, I talked about my previous work experience that would help with the labour extensive components - customer centred-care, etc.

I am thoroughly worried about this because I believe I screwed up with my application letter. Although my desire is to own a rural practice in the future and stick to it, my actions, such as getting direct dentistry/health experience do not line up at all. There goes another year... I will apply for Griffith too, but my main point is, what weight does having experience hold in their process of selecting people who would actually make a difference to Indigenous and rural health?

So I don't know how to delete a post... I think I answered my own question :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2018
  4. LMG!

LMG! UTAS MBBS I Moderator

Clinical Psychologist
    That's okay, no need to delete! Other people might appreciate this information/collection of thoughts, too!! Thank you for contributing.