• ALL USERS: please familiarise yourself with the MSO Forum Rules (updated 03/08/20).
  • When interviews and offers are released, you can rest assured posts will appear at MSO. Repeatedly asking 'have interview invites been released yet' won't make it happen any faster and such posts will be deleted.
  • UCAT PREP COMPANY DISCUSSION: Site administrators have implemented a rule that states there is to be NO mention of UCAT prep companies. This includes discussion, recommendations, questions, and reviews, and extends to allusions, acronyms, and other other attempts to get around the rule. Offending content will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be warned and may be banned.

Dentistry at International Medical University/Malaysia

Ehab Raed

hi everyone,
I want some help from you guys, I am thinking to do dentistry overseas in Malaysia with International Medical University, just wondering if anyone is doing their BDS there? is it recognised from ADC? how is teaching, student life, etc ? how do you pay your fees basically everything you know about it.

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

A1

Admissions Speculator
is it recognised from ADC?
ADC deals with the academic side of the courses. Recognition/Registration matters are regulated by the Dental Board. Unfortunately the Dental Board only accepts overseas degrees from NZ, UK, Ireland & Canada.

> Dental Board of Australia - Dentists

"General Registration
There are several pathways to General Registration for dentists with overseas qualifications:
  1. Dentists who are registered to practise in New Zealand under Trans Tasman mutual recognition
  2. Dentists with eligible bachelor degrees from the United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland or New Zealand
  3. Dentists with eligible degrees from Canada and compliant with the ‘additional requirements’
  4. Dentists with other qualifications:
    a. complete an Australian approved program of study; or
    b. undertake the examination procedure conducted by the Australian Dental Council (ADC).
    "

Rb211

Hi I am thinking about IMU dentistry as well. I have a question about their partner dental school program where you study 2.5 years at imu and the next 2-3 years in another uni like Adelaide uni. So, will graduating from this program allow us to practice in Australia, is it recognised by ADC?

sanchana

Hi I am thinking about IMU dentistry as well. I have a question about their partner dental school program where you study 2.5 years at imu and the next 2-3 years in another uni like Adelaide uni. So, will graduating from this program allow us to practice in Australia, is it recognised by ADC?
Hey! I had also considered IMU previously. I called them earlier this year and asked if a dental degree (2.5 years @ imu and the remaining years at a partner university) will be accredited in Singapore, they mentioned it wouldn't be accredited and for it to be accredited, it must be done completely in Australia/UK. But I don't really know how to verify this info. But in your case, you asked if its accredited in Australia, you should check with the ADC. Maybe send them an email?

A1

Admissions Speculator
So, will graduating from this program allow us to practice in Australia, is it recognised by ADC?
See my post above > Dentistry at International Medical University/Malaysia

What matters is registration by the Dental Board of Australia rather than the degree being ADC recognised/accredited. The Board's approved pathways include
4. Dentists with other qualifications:
a. complete an Australian approved program of study

So check with the Dental Board whether the 2-3 years study in Aus meets this requirement, since it is their clause not ADC's.

Unluckydude

In addition to what has been said above, it's important for you guys to note that you won't be able to complete your clinical years in Australia if you guys are Australian citizens or PRs.

Applicants who are citizens from countries where the IMU’s Partner Dental Schools (PDS) are located will not be eligible to apply for admission into the IMU-PDS option. These countries are Australia, Canada, New Zealand and United Kingdom. However, applicants may apply to the IMU option in Malaysia.

Applicants with a PR status in any of the countries mentioned above may apply for the IMU-PDS option, but the choice of PDS will be restricted as follows:

PR holders of Australia or New Zealand will not be matched to any of the PDS in Australia or New Zealand.

laerla

Our class had a few from IMU, and some started working straight after graduation