Dentistry Career Prospects

Discussion in 'General Dentistry Discussion' started by Kinetica, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Kinetica

Kinetica New Member

Hi

Ive heard that the dentistry job market particularly in capital cities are nearing saturation point. Before investing in 5 years of my life Im keen to hear from dentists how easy/difficult it is.

Anyone?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2018
  2. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    As far as I’m aware, there are no currently practicing dentists that visit regularly here at MSO. We used to have a couple of moderators in this position, but they’ve moved on with their careers and haven’t been by here for quite some time. You might be better off looking for publications or memos from the Dentistry Board or related organisations.

3. Yamster

Yamster Dental Moderator DJ May

Hutcherson comes on sometimes! I've tagged here, I'm only a wee first year and have no idea about the job markets, unfortunately Kinetica . I've heard through word of mouth that some years capital cities are harder to find a position in for a new grad vs another. eg. Sydney might be saturated one year, Brisbane not, next year it might be reversed. I'm not too sure how accurate this is though as I've only heard it through friends of friends! :(

4. Sassysep

Sassysep BDS

Another dental student here from NZ. I've heard similar things, that the bigger cities here are a struggle to get a full time job straight out of school. We've been told that everyone will secure a job on graduation, although you might have to wait a bit and if we're looking to get jobs in the big cities then we will likely have to settle for a part-time job before moving into a full-time position. Healthcare is a field that will always be in need, and saturation in a job market doesn't mean that you will never get a job so don't be scared off. Dentistry is a great career.

5. Hutcherson

Hutcherson Emeritus MSO Staff Emeritus

Dentist
    Hi Kinetica

Really depends where you want to work long term. Finding a full-time job in a regional or rural area isn't an issue. Metro wise you might be looking at two part time jobs depending on the city however most of my friends seems to have full time jobs including myself. Also keep in mind that Dentistry was taken off the skilled occupation list in July 2015 so it will be very hard for internationals to come in with a visa for dentistry. So I expect the market to actually open up over time. Remember most health professions have this problem like medicine, nursing and pharmacy, where too many students are studying in the profession.

Kinetica, Sassysep and acbard9 like this.
  6. Splickety Lit

Splickety Lit New Member

Hey,

How much does your academics during dental school matter to future job prospects and internship. From my understanding academics, CV and research all play a big part in where you are able to get a job/intern once you have completed dental school.
    If this is the case would it then be unrealistic (unless you think you could achieve the same) to look at someone who topped their class, had an amazing CV and research and think you could have a similar job as them once you leave dental school?

I ask this because I know a dentist who just graduated and is working many jobs (a reputable hospital and a few clinics are the main ones) and is able to get a lot of variety in that way.
    How difficult is it to get similar jobs (e.g. at a hospital) in your first few years and what sort of CV would you need? Is someone who has the perfect CV afforded many more opportunities than someone who has a very good CV (e.g. top 20% in cohort, good co-curriculars and research but no awards or medals).

Thank you :)

Sassysep likes this.
  7. chickenhead

chickenhead New Member

Hi,

Dentistry is a bit different to Medicine. You are not required to complete an internship to become a dentist. I think most dentists don't have much research experience.

Most dentists/dental graduates work for private clinics and different employers look for different characteristics. Your gradates do not matter unless you're extremely incompetent (eg: failed several units). They generally prefer applicants with good clinical and interpersonal skills. It would be much easier for you to secure a job if you have dentistry related work experience. But keep in mind that most clinics are private, so the owners tend to hire family members or people they know.

In regards to your second question. Yes, you can still have a job similar as "them". It all depends on the employers.

The job market is saturated due to the oversupply of dental graduates. Many new graduates have no choice but to work several part-time jobs if they want to stay in big cities. It is better to have a full time job in one clinic because it allows you to build up your patient base. Most states in Australia only have one dental hospital and some public dental clinics. It is not that competitive to get a job in the public sector. People use to tell new graduates to work in the public sector only if they can't find a job in the private sector. Private dentists have a much higher average salary and a better working environment.

You only need good marks (top 5-10%) to get into some competitive dental specialties.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Sassysep likes this.