Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Dentistry Entry Discussion and Questions 2019

LMG!

Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018
Hi! Is there somewhere i can find a summary of all undergrad dent schools requirements? Thanks
There used to be a very excellent one shared here, but I believe it recently disappeared? Has someone managed to unearth a copy? Crow Yamster?

Crow

Moderator Band
There used to be a very excellent one shared here, but I believe it recently disappeared? Has someone managed to unearth a copy? Crow Yamster?
We have not managed to recover it :(

donggii what sort of requirements are you after? Do you mean prerequisite subjects or the ATAR/UCAT scores required for each of the schools?

If you have questions about any specific schools we should (hopefully) be able to give you an answer here :)

donggii

donggii what sort of requirements are you after? Do you mean prerequisite subjects or the ATAR/UCAT scores required for each of the schools?

If you have questions about any specific schools we should (hopefully) be able to give you an answer here :)
It's both pre-req subjects and GPA/UCAT scores for non-standard accepting unis (Latrobe, University Adelaide, CSU). Also, whether those unis are looking at just gpa/atar or both. I had a look at their websites, but i found them to be quite vague. Any help would be much appreciated

Eleue

I took a screenshot earlier this year from MSO, sorry for the low resolution. I believe this is the 2017 version, but it should be the same?

Attachments

Crow

Moderator Band
Hi Crow. I applied for Griffith dentistry as a non-standard applicant. Who's going to determine my offer? QTAC or the university?
QTAC/UAC do the work on behalf of Griffith. Griffith will instruct them on how to calculate GPA (as Griffith dentistry calculates GPA differently to what other universities do) and then offers are distributed by the TACs.

dco

Hi
A bit confused about
Which dentistry courses take student after a gap year.
Does UQ take students in dentistry after a gap
Year

dco

Thanks for the reply.
Does Griffith dentistry has seats assigned for school leavers or graduate entry students. Which one preferred there

Thanks for the reply.
Does Griffith dentistry has seats assigned for school leavers or graduate entry students. Which one preferred there
No assigned places, but Non-Standard students are preferred because they give a gpa of a 7 to a 99.95 so it is much harder for a school student to get a position, which means the cut off is like 99.80

dco

Thankyou
What about UQ? Do graduate entry students get preference there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou
What about UQ. Graduate entry student get preference there
They don't have graduate entry, just undergraduate school leaver and non-standard, but they are compared equally so they compete against each other. You need a 99 Atar without bonus points if you are a gap year student, and probably a high 80s low 90s Ucat

Reactions: dco

Crow

Moderator Band
Thankyou
What about UQ? Do graduate entry students get preference there?
The main selection criteria for UQ dentistry is UCAT score (the same cutoff is applied to school-leaver and non-standard applicants). School leavers need to meet a 99 ATAR cutoff, and non-standards need to meet a 6.5 GPA cutoff (5.8 if they’re a current UQ student). ATAR/GPA is a hurdle requirement only. I’ll leave you to decide whether a 99 ATAR or 6.5 GPA is “easier” to achieve.

Reactions: dco

Tomato

They don't have graduate entry, just undergraduate school leaver and non-standard, but they are compared equally so they compete against each other. You need a 99 Atar without bonus points if you are a gap year student, and probably a high 80s low 90s Ucat
Is there a link from the UQ webpage that states needing a 99 ATAR without bonus points for a gap year student?

Crow

Moderator Band
Gap year students are still classified as school-leavers, so I'm inclined to believe they are also eligible for subject bonuses. Happy to be corrected, though.

Gap year students are still classified as school-leavers, so I'm inclined to believe they are also eligible for subject bonuses. Happy to be corrected, though.
The thing that makes me think that they don't get a bonus is that when you go to the undergraduate law scheme, it mentions that if you are currently completing or in a gap year you are eligible ; and they didn't mention it for the bonuses. But probably worth an email to the uni I think. UQ also don't consider Gap years school leavers in the same way as other uni's, because they don't let them apply for entry to Pre-entry for med.