• MSO wishes the best of luck to all users with upcoming interviews! For those interviewing at universities that do not have applicants sign an NDA, it would be greatly appreciated if you could send me (Crow) a PM with your interview questions to help future users. These will not be shared publicly until all interviews for that university have been completed. Cheers! ETA: Please check out our new Interview Portal!

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Dentistry Entry Discussion and Questions 2019

Tomato

They don't have graduate entry, just undergraduate school leaver and non-standard, but they are compared equally so they compete against each other. You need a 99 Atar without bonus points if you are a gap year student, and probably a high 80s low 90s Ucat
Is there a link from the UQ webpage that states needing a 99 ATAR without bonus points for a gap year student?

Crow

Moderator Band
Gap year students are still classified as school-leavers, so I'm inclined to believe they are also eligible for subject bonuses. Happy to be corrected, though.

Gap year students are still classified as school-leavers, so I'm inclined to believe they are also eligible for subject bonuses. Happy to be corrected, though.
The thing that makes me think that they don't get a bonus is that when you go to the undergraduate law scheme, it mentions that if you are currently completing or in a gap year you are eligible ; and they didn't mention it for the bonuses. But probably worth an email to the uni I think. UQ also don't consider Gap years school leavers in the same way as other uni's, because they don't let them apply for entry to Pre-entry for med.

Tomato

Somebody from this forum asked UQ previously and was told gap year students would not have bonus points for their ranks. Today saw Cal Chuchesta mentioned it so I asked for a link to confirm. It looks like true because this applies to the current completing year 12 students.

Tomato

Ah, no worries. Thanks for the info. Do you have a link to the forum post from said person?
ganshenme

Aug 6, 2019
Aditya Shiva said:
I'm a non standard applicant applying to uq dentistry. I've emailed them and they said they will use my high school results because I've done less than 1 year of ft study. Will I still be eligible for their bonus points as I did 4u maths in high school (2018)
I emailed them about this too: I'm a first year student who would have originally done 7 units instead of 8 units, due to underloading in my first semester. UQ told me in this case they will use whatever is higher out of my ATAR or GPA, whereas they will only use GPA if you have done 1FTE or more. they said the bonus points for maths and LOTE only applies to current Year 12 students for the year after they graduate, I.e. 2019 year 12 for 2020 entry
However, since my ATAR was just below 99, my only hope for getting the OP1 hurdle was a good GPA, yet for a student who had done less than a full time load, GPA conversion to selection rank was capped at 94. Only choice if you got below 99 is to do a full time load presumably by overloading and getting a 6.5 GPA

hope this helps

Reactions:Gav10, Cal Chuchesta and Aditya Shiva

Attachments

Crow

Moderator Band
ganshenme

Aug 6, 2019

I emailed them about this too: I'm a first year student who would have originally done 7 units instead of 8 units, due to underloading in my first semester. UQ told me in this case they will use whatever is higher out of my ATAR or GPA, whereas they will only use GPA if you have done 1FTE or more. they said the bonus points for maths and LOTE only applies to current Year 12 students for the year after they graduate, I.e. 2019 year 12 for 2020 entry
However, since my ATAR was just below 99, my only hope for getting the OP1 hurdle was a good GPA, yet for a student who had done less than a full time load, GPA conversion to selection rank was capped at 94. Only choice if you got below 99 is to do a full time load presumably by overloading and getting a 6.5 GPA

hope this helps

Reactions:Gav10, Cal Chuchesta and Aditya Shiva
Thank you very much for that. I’d love to see the original email from UQ. Both of these are non-standard applicants rather than gap year students.

It doesn’t make any sense to use someone’s ATAR but then not apply the bonus points that are applicable to everyone else’s ATAR, simply because they’re applying a year later. I also wonder if the situation would be treated differently for non-standards with less than 1FTE year of tertiary study completed and gap year students with no tertiary study completed. The wording on the UQ website is open to interpretation, I think, so an official copy-pasted or screenshotted email from UQ dentistry admissions would be nice for a 100% confirmation.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but i put csu dent on my uac and today i reopened uac to change my preferences and i can no longer "review and submit" my application since it says that CSU dent is no longer available?????

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but i put csu dent on my uac and today i reopened uac to change my preferences and i can no longer "review and submit" my application since it says that CSU dent is no longer available?????
Might have something to do with UAC applications for CSU dent being closed on the 27th :/

For Uq dent, does anyone know how long it usually for the prerequisite status to turn from pending to satisfied? Because it says pending for me, although when I click the further information, it says yes next to all of the required prerequisites.

For Uq dent, does anyone know how long it usually for the prerequisite status to turn from pending to satisfied? Because it says pending for me, although when I click the further information, it says yes next to all of the required prerequisites.
Yeah exact same situation for me 😕

Crow

Moderator Band
I don’t have a specific answer for you, but remember it’s only the start of October. QTAC realistically has another 3 months + before it needs to release UQ dentistry offers. Wouldn’t worry about that for a long time yet - if it says satisfied next to each individual requirement then that’s really as good a sign as you can get at this stage.

DDENT

Lurker
Hi Everyone, this is my first post so sorry if I do anything wrong.
I finished my HSC last year (2018), attaining an ATAR of 99.15, however, I scored a low UMAT and did not complete Chemistry and Biology which are required for universities like JCU and LaTrobe. I am non-rural.
Consequently, I chose to take a gap year to complete these subjects as HSC subjects, applying for JCU and La Trobe Dentistry.
Considering I managed a decent application (attending a cultural awareness program and working part-time as a dental assistant etc.) what are my chances of getting JCU.
Also I am aware that the cut of for la trobe last year was 99.1 which means I would have just scraped it, should I be concerned about entrance this year?
Finally, I am aware that my ATAR could change slightly as my marks will be collated with this year's cohort. Considering I will not improve my scores in chem and bio and will only pass.
Thank you for your help in advance.

Yamster

Dental Moderator
DJ May
Hey DDENT, I wouldn't worry about it too much to be honest with you. JCU applications closed end of September, right? So there's nothing you can do to change your application anyway. Your ATAR is borderline for 99.15 but there's nothing stressing will do to change the outcome of getting a result, just enjoy your break whilst you can!

A1

Admissions Speculator
Do you mean your actual ATAR can change slightly in the gap year? Can somebody confirm this comment? Thank you.
DDENT is doing Chem & Bio during this "gap year". If these marks are going to be lower than the previous five subjects that made up the ATAR it will remain around 99.15. If they are higher the ATAR will be recalculated with them thus become higher.