• MSO wishes the best of luck to all users with upcoming interviews! For those interviewing at universities that do not have applicants sign an NDA, it would be greatly appreciated if you could send me (Crow) a PM with your interview questions to help future users. These will not be shared publicly until all interviews for that university have been completed. Cheers! ETA: Please check out our new Interview Portal!

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Dentistry Entry Discussion and Questions 2019

Dnama

DDENT is doing Chem & Bio during this "gap year". If these marks are going to be lower than the previous five subjects that made up the ATAR it will remain around 99.15. If they are higher the ATAR will be recalculated with them thus become higher.
Can people with a tertiary record do this to boost their atar and apply as a school leaver?

A1

Admissions Speculator
Can people with a tertiary record do this to boost their atar and apply as a school leaver?
Not really. I suppose you can try boost your ATAR this way but the tertiary record still makes you a non-standard. The higher ATAR would only help (marginally) for UNSW.

whatup245

Hi Everyone, this is my first post so sorry if I do anything wrong.
I finished my HSC last year (2018), attaining an ATAR of 99.15, however, I scored a low UMAT and did not complete Chemistry and Biology which are required for universities like JCU and LaTrobe. I am non-rural.
Consequently, I chose to take a gap year to complete these subjects as HSC subjects, applying for JCU and La Trobe Dentistry.
Considering I managed a decent application (attending a cultural awareness program and working part-time as a dental assistant etc.) what are my chances of getting JCU.
Also I am aware that the cut of for la trobe last year was 99.1 which means I would have just scraped it, should I be concerned about entrance this year?
Finally, I am aware that my ATAR could change slightly as my marks will be collated with this year's cohort. Considering I will not improve my scores in chem and bio and will only pass.
Thank you for your help in advance.
wait latrobe cutoff was 99.1? so no hope for my possible 98.60ish?

moniii

Lurker
HEY GUYS! I'm applying for both Griffith and JCU dentistry. I heard that the cutoff for Griffith dent last year was GPA 6.875 but the previous two years were 6.75 - I'm expected to finish the year on a GPA of 6.75 so I'm not 100% certain if I'd make it depending on the cut off.
That being said, does the order of university preferences matter when applying through QTAC? For example, If I put JCU as first pref (because I think I have a higher chance here), would I most likely not get an offer from Griffith?

Crow

Moderator Band
That being said, does the order of university preferences matter when applying through QTAC?
No. You’ll get an offer from the highest preference that you’re eligible for :)

If you missed out on a JCU offer but had a high enough score for Griffith, then you’d receive a Griffith offer if it was second in your preferences.

hey guys! would anyone be able to give an indication of what percentile would have a good change of getting into UQ dentistry as a non-standard? i retook ucat this year and got 92nd percentile, and am sitting on a GPA7 right now.

Crow

Moderator Band
hey guys! would anyone be able to give an indication of what percentile would have a good change of getting into UQ dentistry as a non-standard? i retook ucat this year and got 92nd percentile, and am sitting on a GPA7 right now.
If previous years are anything to go by, that UCAT score should be enough to land you a place offer. Well done on your scores and good luck! :)

Hi, based on previous few years, how likely would a score of 2770 (85th %ile) secure an interview invite or position at Adelaide, CSU and UQ? It's a pretty low score, so I am thinking of taking a gap year if I'm unable to, but would like to know for now and perhaps for next year. Cheers

Crow

Moderator Band
Hi, based on previous few years, how likely would a score of 2770 (85th %ile) secure an interview invite or position at Adelaide, CSU and UQ? It's a pretty low score, so I am thinking of taking a gap year if I'm unable to, but would like to know for now and perhaps for next year. Cheers
Check out scores that landed MSO users place offers last year here: Aus Med and Dent Place Offers 2019 - Collated Data

As an aside, you may be interested in reading this RE: taking a gap year to try and get into med/dent: Common pitfalls to avoid for year 12 school leavers and other medicine applicants and specifically this post: Common pitfalls to avoid for year 12 school leavers and other medicine applicants

ETA: You can apply to all of those dental schools as a non-standard applicant too, so if you’re concerned about eligibility, then that wouldn’t be a problem. :)

Last edited:

LMG!

Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018
If last year is anything to go by (and it's hard to say given the move to UCAT), then your best bet will be UAdel. We had offers reported here with lowest UMAT 92 for UQ, 91 for CSU, and 83 for UAdel.

(But only a small amount of data: Aus Med and Dent Place Offers 2019 - Collated Data)

If last year is anything to go by (and it's hard to say given the move to UCAT), then your best bet will be UAdel. We had offers reported here with lowest UMAT 92 for UQ, 91 for CSU, and 83 for UAdel.

(But only a small amount of data: Aus Med and Dent Place Offers 2019 - Collated Data)
Check out scores that landed MSO users place offers last year here: Aus Med and Dent Place Offers 2019 - Collated Data

As an aside, you may be interested in reading this RE: taking a gap year to try and get into med/dent: Common pitfalls to avoid for year 12 school leavers and other medicine applicants and specifically this post: Common pitfalls to avoid for year 12 school leavers and other medicine applicants
Thanks guys! Also, for CSU and UAdel, how much does ATAR impact the final outcome? I think I read somewhere that ATAR is 40% for UAdel but unclear about CSU on whether they use ATAR as a threshold or a later determinant.

Thanks guys! Also, for CSU and UAdel, how much does ATAR impact the final outcome? I think I read somewhere that ATAR is 40% for UAdel but unclear about CSU on whether they use ATAR as a threshold or a later determinant.
40% atar, 40% interview and 20% ucat is for UAdel MED.
1st order of ranking: interview, 2nd order of ranking: UCAT, 3rd order of ranking (threshold): GPA (min 5) or ATAR equivalent is for UAdel Dental Surgery

ucatboy

40% atar, 40% interview and 20% ucat is for UAdel MED.
1st order of ranking: interview, 2nd order of ranking: UCAT, 3rd order of ranking (threshold): GPA (min 5) or ATAR equivalent is for UAdel Dental Surgery
Wow this is news to me: so notwithstanding tiebreakers, Adelaide dent is basically 100% interview?

Or am I misinterpreting what you mean by "order of ranking"?