Dentistry Entry Discussion and Questions 2019

Discussion in 'Dentistry Entrance' started by ajs604, Nov 30, 2017.

1. mahish

mahish New Member

Hi guys, just wondering ... are there still places available for dentistry at Griffth for 2019 intake for International students. I've a GPA of 7 for my first year doing Biomed at UOA...

2. umatresults.jpg

umatresults.jpg New Member

Hi all,

I'm hoping to learn more about how CSU's regional location adjustment scheme works. While I don't live in a rural area, their website states that my postcode makes me eligible for five points added to my selection rank.

Does anyone know how this would relate to UMAT scores? I got 81st percentile (a bit below the high 80s they've required in previous years), so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

3. jiaxing

jiaxing Regular Member

Hi all,

My name is Jiaxing and I’m in my final semeter of my post-grad degree. I got 53/50/66 (79%ile) this year in the UMAT and my GPA is currently about 6.25.

I am contemplating to apply for Medicine and Dentistry all over Australia and NZ, but I am unsure about the EAS scheme and how it can benefit my chances of being offered an interview and/or an offer.

Due to some severe family circumstances which have occurred over the last 5 years, I will be applied under 3 EAS schemes.

Can somebody provide some help as to how the EAS can benefit my chances and where I should apply?

4. umatresults.jpg

umatresults.jpg New Member

Hey Jiaxing,

I'm in a pretty similar position to you, in that that I'm also applying for EAS and got a UMAT in the 81st%ile. While I haven't found anything with concrete evidence, I do think it may be worth applying for CSU, as their website states that they do use EAS to give bonus points, but they don't seem to care too much about ATAR/GPA (I could be wrong, but this is just how I'm interpreting the information supplied on their website).

As a result, I feel it's possible that they use EAS for UMAT, or at least final offers?? While it could just be my wishful thinking, it's definitely something to consider if you're still having trouble finding anything

Good luck! If you find anything that could help the both of us, please pm me :)

jiaxing likes this.
  5. q2017

q2017 Regular Member

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought once you had a record of tertiary study you can no longer apply for EAS?

6. jiaxing

jiaxing Regular Member

The EAS brochure says Year 12 or equivalent. So, I take that to mean ATAR or equivalent, which would be GPA?

7. LMG!

LMG! UTAS MBBS I Moderator

Clinical Psychologist
    Educational Access Schemes - UAC

This would make me inclined to say you’re not eligible. There are multiple references to year 11/12 marks being affected for a period of 6 months plus. I’ll have a bit more of a read.

ETA: this might save you; “Some institutions will consider EAS applicants with a record of tertiary study. International students cannot apply for EAS. ”

You probably need to contact the relevant unis directly to gauge their positions, particularly for Med/Dent entry. Or do an application and get official feedback that way.

jiaxing likes this.
  8. q2017

q2017 Regular Member

I read in a WSU transparency pdf that EAS did not apply to anyone who had studied at the tertiary level. If I can find it I will post the link. Anyway, it does not matter, just fill in the EAS form on UAC and then it will send you a list of all courses and institutions that you are eligible for.

jiaxing likes this.
  9. firstsnow

firstsnow New Member

Did anyone transfer into the dental science at csu after doing a different degree at there uni for one year? i heard that you don't need umat if you do that. If you did, what course did you do and what was your gpa?

10. Yamster

Yamster Dental Student Moderator

Hey firstsnow, you're probably better asking CSU directly, unfortunately, as I've never seen anyone post internal transfer scores for CSU dentistry on here.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018