Dentistry Entry Discussion and Questions 2019

Discussion in 'Dentistry Entrance' started by ajs604, Nov 30, 2017.

1. MarioWoofWoof

MarioWoofWoof New Member

WooHoo!

I got an email notification from SATAC saying I got into Uni Adelaide Dentistry.

However, in the pdf attached, it says
    "
    Enrolment
    Your University of Adelaide Student ID number to activate your student account will be sent to you via email within the
    next 48 hours. We recommend new students visit Orientation to get started. To secure
    your place in the degree, you must enrol online in all the first year Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) courses by close of business Friday 18 January 2019. If you do not enrol by this date, your offer will be withdrawn and your place in the
    program offered to the next eligible applicant.
    "

1) Has anyone else received this email from University of Adelaide yet?
    2) Should I call SATAC or Uni Adelaide if I don't get the email

Thanks in advance!

2. justwannawish

justwannawish New Member

I got the email for it today at around 12pm, so maybe call if you don’t get it by today?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    MarioWoofWoof likes this.
  3. justwannawish

justwannawish New Member

Hey guys,
    Sorry for asking this again. I’ve enrolled into both Adelaide dent and another non medical course, with the intention of deferring Adelaide and starting my non-medical course. I know I can unenrol from Adelaide and then defer. But would they look my marks from my new course or my old UMAT and ATAR?

4. Crow

Crow Moderator (Griffith MD) Most Active 2018

Who is “they” in this instance? You can rest assured your UMAT score will never be looked at again.

justwannawish likes this.
  5. justwannawish

justwannawish New Member

Adelaide uni! Would Adelaide University know or mind if I started another course and deferred their dental program? Is that allowed? I tried sending an email to them but I haven't received a reply yet

6. Keung

Keung New Member

Are you sure your deferment won’t lapse if you undertake studies elsewhere?

7. justwannawish

justwannawish New Member

Update, I emailed Adelaide and got a reply, which confirmed I could defer and enrol into another course, which is probably going to be the path that's the best for me :) Thank you all for your help with helping me come to that decision!

Yes, this is certainly possible to do this. A few things I'd like to highlight for you that you will need to take into consideration. Firstly, if you would like to defer your offer what you will need to do is to log back into your SATAC application and respond to your offer stating that you would like to defer your place. As you have enrolled into subjects, you'll also need to ensure that you drop your enrolments prior to the census date (see the critical dates page).

If you do defer your place, you will receive an email from us a little later on this year in around September/October which will ask what you would like to do with your deferred place for 2020. I'd also like to highlight that you won't be eligible for any credit for prior learning into our BDS if you do take up any study elsewhere in 2019.

Crow likes this.
  8. MrWhippe

MrWhippe New Member

As a non-standard applicant, would Universities (principally Adelaide, Griffith, Charles Sturt, UQ for Dent; UN/UNE and WSU for Medicine) discriminate based on the field of degree you apply with?

I have already completed a Bachelor of Agriculture, though was intending to complete a single year (FTE) of another degree, in order to afford me a fresh slate of high marks. Initially I had planned on this being Biomedicine at La Trobe (which would also enable internal transfer into Dent at La Trobe), though recent inquiry has suggested the Bachelor of Health Sciences (the other La trobe option which enables internal dent transfer) appears to have a substantially easier curriculum, with ability to select an elective each semester.

Biomedicine does seem to cover more relevant medical disciplines (Biology, Anatomy, Chemistry, and the sociopolitical landscape of healthcare and medical research), though I am anxious of my ability to achieve a GPA of >6.75 through these subjects.

9. Crow

Crow Moderator (Griffith MD) Most Active 2018

10. MrWhippe

MrWhippe New Member

Thanks Crow! Appreciate your continuing advice.

Of course, that is generally very sound advice. However I already have a solid degree under my belt, and a sound back-up plan if this falls through (Masters of Agricommerce). Becoming a medical practitioner was my dream for the longest time, though one I felt mentally and emotionally unequipped for at 18. Being accepted into Veterinary Medicine has inspired me with the confidence to try again. It may be a longshot, though I'd rather put aside a year (or two) of my life now than live a life of possible regrets, or to turn around in my 30s and decide I want to go back to try for Medicine (as many seem to do).

Crow likes this.
  11. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    Dunno what you're talking about ;)

Yvette, lillysayse and Crow like this.
  12. lillysayse

lillysayse New Member

Have you considered doing a graduate diploma instead of a whole new degree?

13. MrWhippe

MrWhippe New Member

Haha. Plz don't ban me. I hadn't meant any disrespect! If anything I'm in awe. It surely takes some serious cojones to turn your back on the traditional 30s working life, to go back to study chasing a dream. That's badass.

14. MrWhippe

MrWhippe New Member

I actually hadn't, though I will do some investigations here.

Hey Crow, Hate to bother, but are you totally certain about this? I just find it hard to believe that they wouldn't be a bit prejudice here - personally if I was looking at an applicant, I'd definitely be considering what degree and University they came from, even if only as a small factor. I just want to be certain before I commit to a degree that I'm affording myself ample options, and that Unis won't shut the door on me for my choice of undergrad (which I'm hoping to commit to for only a year).

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  15. ajs604

ajs604 New Member

Hi Mr Whippe, did you decide whether to do this? I am also considering this option as I already have a podiatry degree under my belt. I read somewhere though that you pretty much have to have a GPA of high 6s (for example 6.75) to be considered for an internal transfer. I have also heard that if you are a CSU you automatically get an interview if your GPA is over 5.5. I may consider doing an online course at CSU then applying next year, but will see if there admission requirements for 2020 change. I would prefer to go to La Trobe though as I am based in Melbourne.

16. Neekzade

Neekzade New Member

Guys, I got two offers from WSU one for physiotherapy and other for science, which one do you recommend as a pathway to Dentistry or optometry.

17. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    I'm not sure about optometry and whether it requires pre-requisites, but I think UQ is the only Dental program that has any (Yamster, can you please confirm?).

Overall, though, when you're weighing up offers but really hoping for an end goal that is different (Med or Dent, for example), you need to really consider which you would rather in the long term, in case you don't actually make it into the Med or Dent course you're aiming for. Physiotherapy is a great career degree with plenty of anatomy and other science-based units that will set you up well for Dent should you end up there, but make for a career in its own right if you don't. A generic science degree, on the other hand, can be good if you're aware that for it to lead to a career you're likely going to also need to complete an honours year, and then some form of postgraduate degree (Master or PhD, for example). A science degree would come with less career certainty, but is not necessarily a terrible option, depending on your personal circumstances.

Neekzade likes this.
  18. DDest

DDest UAdel BDS II

Hi everyone!!!

Congrats on your offers!

A few classmates and I have created a group for people starting dentistry at the University of Adelaide in 2019, to help you guys mingle and get to know each other before uni actually starts! (really helped me to get to adjust to moving interstate :)!)

Here's the link: Log into Facebook | Facebook

Feel free to add people and post questions about anything!

DDest