Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Dentistry Entry Discussion and Questions

inchoate

For UQ Dentistry is there a specific GPA you need to maintain or else you can't progress, like their provisional med? Just deciding between med and dent there.
Thanks in advance :)

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
Hey Troy92812 - lab and protective eyewear should be fine to get during orientation week. I think they should also run through the different suppliers as well then.

inchoate - you'd want to maintain at least a GPA of 4 (aka don't fail the course) haha but nope, it's not like provisional med.

1234med

For UQ Dentistry is there a specific GPA you need to maintain or else you can't progress, like their provisional med? Just deciding between med and dent there.
Thanks in advance :)
Pretty sure you don't, otherwise it'd be provisional dent. It's a big decision though so hopefully someone more experienced can confirm

A1

Rookie Doc
Pretty sure you don't, otherwise it'd be provisional dent. It's a big decision though so hopefully someone more experienced can confirm

This is easy to answer. With UQ Med you won't start MD until 3-4 years later, thus the MD offer now is in advance/provisional. UQ Dent is undergrad, you start into it right away and need to pass each year just like other undergrad courses.

IMO the provisional term is not a valid cause to choose dent or med. Anyone getting an MD provisional offer should have the academic ability to not fear GPA 5.0.

inchoate

Hi all,
Thank you for your responses :) the reason I thought there was potentially a GPA which needed to be maintained for UQ dent was because in the program rules it says "A student must not enrol for a subsequent year of the program until getting credit for all courses in the preceding year" (https://www.uq.edu.au/student/ProgramRules2019/2019-Bachelor-of-Dental-Science-Honours-2367.pdf - (1) 4.6 continuous enrolment) so does that mean you need to get at least a credit in everything (not just pass)? I mean I think it's attainable (hopefully) but just wanted to clarify.

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi all,
Thank you for your responses :) the reason I thought there was potentially a GPA which needed to be maintained for UQ dent was because in the program rules it says "A student must not enrol for a subsequent year of the program until getting credit for all courses in the preceding year" (https://www.uq.edu.au/student/ProgramRules2019/2019-Bachelor-of-Dental-Science-Honours-2367.pdf - (1) 4.6 continuous enrolment) so does that mean you need to get at least a credit in everything (not just pass)? I mean I think it's attainable (hopefully) but just wanted to clarify.

I suspect the word credit here means credit (as in accreditation), not the Credit grade :)

mldjs_30

Lurker
Hi,

How does the Queensland OP system work (do they round .95 to entry ranks higher?), and would they ever consider an OP2 (atar equivalent of 98.95 which is .05 off of OP1) ?

Thanks

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi,

How does the Queensland OP system work (do they round .95 to entry ranks higher?), and would they ever consider an OP2 (atar equivalent of 98.95 which is .05 off of OP1) ?

Thanks
I assume you are applying to UQ dentistry (please correct me if not) - unfortunately if your ATAR equivalent is 98.95 then you will just miss out on meeting the 99.0 ATAR hurdle. However, if you did LOTE or Maths C (or equivalent) then you’ll receive bonus points which will raise your ATAR above the hurdle.

James2001

Lurker
Hey guys,
I have an atar of 97.45 and a umat of 95%. How good are my chances of getting into dentistry, especially at Adelaide? Also, if I have dent as a second preference, would it hurt my chances of getting in? So if someone got the exact same results as me, but they had dent first and I had it second, would he get in over me?
Thanks for the help

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
James2001 - I'd say your chances are okay. Maybe second or third round? Not too sure about preferences though, maybe A1 can comment.

Edited by LMG! : I answered the preferencing question in another thread. I know you ask about Dent here, but please don’t multipost the same question in multiple places James2001

sal123

James2001 - I'd say your chances are okay. Maybe second or third round? Not too sure about preferences though, maybe A1 can comment.

Edited by LMG! : I answered the preferencing question in another thread. I know you ask about Dent here, but please don’t multipost the same question in multiple places James2001

is the preferencing situation the same for UAC and QTAC i.e. the universities don't know what your preferences are hence it doesn't matter?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
is the preferencing situation the same for UAC and QTAC i.e. the universities don't know what your preferences are hence it doesn't matter?

Yes, we believe this to be the case as we've had MSO users report receiving phone call offers from JCU a day or two prior to QTAC offer release and that they have been asked during that conversation what preference they have JCU on QTAC.

A1

Rookie Doc

In an FAQ Gemsas (which is like UAC/QTAC for grad entry) says the unis may know what your preferences are, but they are not supposed to discriminate on that basis. I strongly believe they don't even want to because if they did and it was later found out someone would lose their job.

Jaddo

Hey hey guys!
I was wondering if my chances of getting into the dental program in Griffith university is high...so here is my situation:

Graduated high school in NSW with a terrible ATAR (83);
Studied 2.5 years of med sci in UWS with a terrible GPA (3.3/4) - didnt complete the degree;
Last year, I travelled to Azerbaijan and enrolled myself in a dental program. I studied soooo hard and achieved a great GPA (7/7)
- I finished two semesters (60 credits) and got 95% and above in many subjects that I've previously done at UWS (anatomy, physiology, biochemistry etc..)

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Jaddo - This will entirely depend on whether QTAC actually calculates your GPA to be 7 (and whether your overseas study will be considered). You’re best to contact QTAC to confirm.

viraj

Lurker
I got 98.6 atar, 50 umat, and im assuming a 8/10 interview (guess). What would be my chances into UWA.

Also how do you check if you passed the spatial awareness test or not.