Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Dentistry Entry Discussion and Questions

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
guys is this correct that CSU or LaTrobe students dont need to sit UCAT if they wanna apply to dentistry,any other uni as well?

UCAT is required for LaTrobe if you're applying as a non-standard, it's not needed for highschool leavers. CSU doesn't require UCAT if you've met the GPA cut-off (but I'm assuming that you're then ranked by GPA for admissions with other CSU applicants). It says if you don't meet the GPA cut-off of 5.5+ and at least a year of study, that you can still sit the UCAT and apply (maybe they'll use your HSC results).

We haven't heard of anyone applying to JCU with only 1 semester of studies though it looks like it's possible from what you've linked but I expect you'd need a pretty damned solid application/GPA to be competitive enough for an offer.

Does any one know about la trobe dentistry cause ? It seems change the name to oral science ,is it still eligible for register dentistry ?

La Trobe's Bachelor of Oral Health Science is the course you want to do if you want to work as a dental hygienist, dental therapist or oral health therapist.

The Bachelor of Dental Science (Honours) is the course you want to apply for if you want to work as a dentist.

Hi, is a UCAT score of 2720 and predicted ATAR of 96-98 (hopefully higher if i put more work) possible for CSU dentistry?

2720 would place you in the 8th decile, probably not for CSU unfortunately unless you're rural. Definitely still apply though but that score is probably good enough for Adelaide dent.

Anyone know why there was a sudden increase in UMAT percentiles (91 i think it was) required for UQ Dent last year? And is this likely to happen again?

I don't think the cut-off was 91%ile last year, I think last year it was still around the 85%ile mark. It definitely jumped to 91 in one of the past few years though I cannot remember the reason off the top of my head. Dr Dent might know.

Though it's correct that there's no past data for UCAT entrance scores, it'd probably be similar to the previous UMAT percentiles IMO. We'll definitely see this year though.

Fingers crossed for all of you!

A1

Rookie Doc

Seano

I called UQ a while after the first offer round and they said that the UMAT cutoff of 181 (91%ile) with a S1 tiebreaker of 65 hadn't changed, and that there weren't any second round offers. When I asked why the cutoff had jumped so high they said that it had just been a really competitive year.

Unluckydude

Hi guys, I'm going to apply for Griffith dentistry as a non-standard applicant.

I asked Griffith about this and they said:

"If you are not completing the 1 year of study under the same program (without the credit applied), in some instances we do combine study attempts of less than 1 year. However, there are rules that you need to be mindful of which include:

Study attempts of less than 1 FTE can be combined if the same level of study - ie bachelor level. When combined are equal to or greater than 1 year FTE. All study attempts less than 1 year would be combined, so you cannot pick your best to combine - we combine all."

Last edited:

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi guys, I'm going to apply for Griffith dentistry as a non-standard applicant. I completed a science degree at Deakin, but my GPA wasn't high enough. So I enrolled in the Bachelor of food and nutrition (La trobe) through OUA. I've completed 8 subjects and got HD for all of them. However, I did the first three core subjects of my nutrition degree as single unit studies, because I had some Tax file number issues and was unable to enroll in the full degree. I received credits for these subjects after I enrolled in the degree. How will Griffith calculate my GPA?

I asked Griffith about this and they said:

"If you are not completing the 1 year of study under the same program (without the credit applied), in some instances we do combine study attempts of less than 1 year. However, there are rules that you need to be mindful of which include:

Study attempts of less than 1 FTE can be combined if the same level of study - ie bachelor level. When combined are equal to or greater than 1 year FTE. All study attempts less than 1 year would be combined, so you cannot pick your best to combine - we combine all."

Does this mean they will use my results from La trobe/OUA to calculate my GPA? Thanks.
The single units were still at the same level as the remainder units, and they ultimately contributed to the first FTE year of your Nutrition degree, so from what you’ve said I would imagine you’ll be awarded a 7 GPA from your Nutrition degree alone.

Unluckydude

The single units were still at the same level as the remainder units, and they ultimately contributed to the first FTE year of your Nutrition degree, so from what you’ve said I would imagine you’ll be awarded a 7 GPA from your Nutrition degree alone.
Thanks Crow. So they are not going to my science degree?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Thanks Crow. So they are not going to my science degree?
I won’t make you any guarantees (as I’m not part of the admissions team) but from what I’ve observed, the most recent degree is the one that’s used provided one has at least 1FTE year of full time study completed in it (which you do). A reply email again to the admissions team asking them to clarify wouldn’t go astray if you’re concerned, though!

CSU uses GPA if you're a CSU student! If you've less than a full year study they look at your ATAR and combine it with GPA, if over a year they just look at GPA. If you're not from CSU it doesn't really matter as per what Crow wrote above!
When i emailed them, CSU said they will only look at academic studies or ATAR if required. UCAT and interview are the key components of entry. If i have only done about 0.35ish FTE (18 units) of tertiary education, will they still use a combination of wam and atar. I feel academic studies mught be used as a tiebreaker.

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
When i emailed them, CSU said they will only look at academic studies or ATAR if required. UCAT and interview are the key components of entry. If i have only done about 0.35ish FTE (18 units) of tertiary education, will they still use a combination of wam and atar. I feel academic studies mught be used as a tiebreaker.

This is for non-CSU students only, right?

Nee

Will someone who apply to both med and dent at JCU have less chance than someone who only apply for one of them.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Will someone who apply to both med and dent at JCU have less chance than someone who only apply for one of them.
Not officially, but I feel like it would be very difficult to answer the first question of the application in particular at a quality standard and convince the markers that you want to be both a doctor and a dentist well enough - particularly given they are two relatively different careers.

That’s just my 2c, though, and JCU have kept the applications for both as one for a reason, so it wouldn’t be fair to discriminate against an applicant for applying for multiple courses.

Reactions: Nee

room1

For QTAC, when offers come out on 15th January (I believe), do they all come out at a specific time or are they gradually released over the day? Also, is it true that there were no second round offers for UQ Dent last year? I think I read it somewhere on this forum that there weren't any second round offers due to it being a highly competitive year. However, I thought that they would always be made for UQ Dent as long as people declined their offers, which I would assume some people did.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
For QTAC, when offers come out on 15th January (I believe), do they all come out at a specific time or are they gradually released over the day?
All at the same time in the morning. IIRC it’s usually 8.30am.