Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Dentistry Entry Discussion and Questions

Tomato

I would imagine that there be less people that require a tiebreaker to be used because the 90th ucat percentile essentially has three possible scores (2830, 2840 and 2850) to differentiate with; while everyone who got the 181 was compared for a tie breaker; I guess we will have to wait and see though :)
UQ doesn't use percentile (e.g. 90%ile) but the sum of the 4 sections. Therefore, the cutoff may be at 2830 and they use tiebreaker (e.g. SJT and/or VR) to differentiate between the people with 2830.

ucatsyd

Do you guys know when the UQ, Adelaide, and Griffith dentistry interview invites are given out?

This is because these courses require at least 1FTE, and I do not think I will have completed 1FTE before the interviews because I will get my results late december. However, I will have completed 1FTE when they give out the offers.
Does this make me ineligible, or?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Do you guys know when the UQ, Adelaide, and Griffith dentistry interview invites are given out?

This is because these courses require at least 1FTE, and I do not think I will have completed 1FTE before the interviews because I will get my results late december. However, I will have completed 1FTE when they give out the offers.
Does this make me ineligible, or?
Griffith and UQ don’t interview for dentistry - the place offers will come out in QTAC’s January offer round.

Adelaide won’t look at your GPA until after interviews as far as I’m aware, and SATAC main offer round is also in January IIRC, so this also shouldn’t be a problem.

Unluckydude

Hi guys. For non-standard interstate QTAC applicants, does qtac normally ask applicants to submit their official academic transcripts?

Hi, Can someone explain the process for applying to CSU. I have heard people say that it has to be first on your preferences to get an offer or interview. I'm a bit confused because the offers for csu come out early. Thanks.

Cal

vibe
Hi, Can someone explain the process for applying to CSU. I have heard people say that it has to be first on your preferences to get an offer or interview. I'm a bit confused because the offers for csu come out early. Thanks.
To be considered for the "early round offers" you must have CSU as your first preference, but not an interview; if you are eligible for an interview with it in any position on your preference list you will get one, just that if you want to be offered a spot in december (if you get one) you must have it in the first position.

To be considered for the "early round offers" you must have CSU as your first preference, but not an interview; if you are eligible for an interview with it in any position on your preference list you will get one, just that if you want to be offered a spot in december (if you get one) you must have it in the first position.
So if i was applying for med schools in NSW, is it fine that i do this. because i am assuming NSW med unis first offer round is in January?

Cal

vibe
So if i was applying for med schools in NSW, is it fine that i do this. because i am assuming NSW med unis first offer round is in January?
Iirc yea, just make sure to switch them around once you pass their offer round so that you can get the offer from the med uni you prefer

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Why is Griffith dentistry so expensive? I was searching up how their dental program works, and I found that they have CSP's for their bachelor of dental health science, but their master of dentistry that you go into after it costs $60000 per annum (Master of Dentistry (5703)). Are there no CSP places? It seems like a gigantic cash grad considering that UQ is only around $10000 (Bachelor of Dental Science (Honours) - Future Students - University of Queensland). What's up with the disparity? Also on another note, what indicative ATARs were required to get into dentistry in Griffith last year at GC?

Cal

vibe
Why is Griffith dentistry so expensive? I was searching up how their dental program works, and I found that they have CSP's for their bachelor of dental health science, but their master of dentistry that you go into after it costs $60000 per annum (Master of Dentistry (5703)). Are there no CSP places? It seems like a gigantic cash grad considering that UQ is only around $10000 (Bachelor of Dental Science (Honours) - Future Students - University of Queensland). What's up with the disparity? Also on another note, what indicative ATARs were required to get into dentistry in Griffith last year at GC?
Masters of Dentistry is not Subsidised by the government; so essentially bond equivalent of dent. That is why it is my last option rather than going interstate lmao; Probably would even stay in my current degree than spend that much on a fucking degree, 99.80 for the atar because of how they do gpa to atar.

A1

Rookie Doc
Why is Griffith dentistry so expensive?

It is apparently because there is a gov cap on CSP dent places and Griffith has none. So they run it as a 3yr Bachelor course which is CSP by default then add the 2yr full-fee Master which they are allowed to do.

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Masters of Dentistry is not Subsidised by the government; so essentially bond equivalent of dent. That is why it is my last option rather than going interstate lmao; Probably would even stay in my current degree than spend that much on a fucking degree, 99.80 for the atar because of how they do gpa to atar.
The atar cutoff is even higher than its med program or is it just because non-standards dominate the offers? I don't see a single ATAR person in the 2019 offer list that got in with ATAR.

Cal

vibe
The atar cutoff is even higher than its med program? Wow I don't think I've ever known of a university that has it the other way around like griffith...
it is because I assume they equate a 7 gpa to a 99.95; and they go from there which causes problems because they also give 7s for Postgrad degrees etc. which makes it ultimately almost impossible to get a spot as a school leaver. This is why there were no queensland school leavers who got a spot last year lmao. Not worth imo. But I think griffith get a large amount of people who think that the second degree is also CSP, which I only learnt recently, luckily I did though.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Agree that it’s very expensive, though I don’t think it can be compared to Bond. Remember that those expenses can be placed on FEE HELP so it doesn’t need to be an up front payment per se. You can pay this back once you’ve started working as a dentist. This is in contrast to Bond, where the FEE HELP limit is capped at well under half of what the total degree ends up costing.

Cal

vibe
Agree that it’s very expensive, though I don’t think it can be compared to Bond. Remember that those expenses can be placed on FEE HELP so it doesn’t need to be an up front payment per se. You can pay this back once you’ve started working as a dentist. This is in contrast to Bond, where the FEE HELP limit is capped at well under half of what the total degree ends up costing.
is there any interest on the repayments? or is it like hecs where there is interest.