Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Dentistry Entry Discussion and Questions

cocodreams

Hello I am currently a first year biomed student.
Recently I have been trying hard to decide what kind of pathway I'm trying to get into in life and dentistry seems to be one of them. I would just like some advice if dentistry if right for me.

I really hope to travel in the future as I don't plan on living in Australia all my life so I wondered if dentistry might be too restrictive. I am also someone who doesn't work well in stressful situations and I don't like the idea of not having any holidays in my first few years of work. However I am striving for a good salary and stable job and my parents also encourage me to try for dentistry . Besides dental I am inclined towards health administration and regulatory affairs in the pharmaceuticals industry. I hope to live in singapore someday but very minimal australian dental qualifications are accepted there.

Could I please get some advice on this?

thank you very much
Hi,
While I am not a dentist/studying dentistry myself, but things you could do to see if dentistry is the right option for you is to definitely try shadow a dentist (work experience) and see what they actually do in a clinic and what type of cases they're presented with etc and see if this is something you can see yourself doing for the rest of your career! You could also reach out to people who you know are dentists and dental students and ask about their experience. Dentistry has its pros and cons so it's very important to research and find more info on it by talking to people. I hope this helps!

Also I am not sure about the working qualifications and restrictions, so it's best someone else can answer that.

Last edited:

Tomato

Recently I have been trying hard to decide what kind of pathway I'm trying to get into in life and dentistry seems to be one of them. I would just like some advice if dentistry if right for me.

I really hope to travel in the future as I don't plan on living in Australia all my life so I wondered if dentistry might be too restrictive. I am also someone who doesn't work well in stressful situations and I don't like the idea of not having any holidays in my first few years of work. However I am striving for a good salary and stable job and my parents also encourage me to try for dentistry . Besides dental I am inclined towards health administration and regulatory affairs in the pharmaceuticals industry. I hope to live in singapore someday but very minimal australian dental qualifications are accepted there.

thank you very much
Cannot answer your questions regarding the personal choices, but can answer your last question. Some Australian dental qualifications are recognised straight away in Singapore, i.e. the dental degrees from the five old dental schools (UQ, UAdel, USyd, UMelb & UWA) are accepted there. If you are planning to work as a dentist in Singapore, make sure to apply these dental schools.

Caffeine

thank you very much

I think some areas that you really have to consider is if you can cope with Dental school and if it suits your personality.

Dental School is quite a challenging process and is stressful along with this Dentistry is a career that again has some very stressful situations which are similar to a career in Medicine & unique to health careers. Stress is quite common in a a career in Dentistry and if you aren't able to work well in stressful situations then you'll have to consider if this is the right choice. I have known friends who were smart but bad at dealing with stress who eventually couldn't cope with Dental School/Medical school or others who have quit the career due to the nature of the work. This is something I would personally say that if your bad at handling for your own personal wellbeing it is better not to pursue a career in Dentistry & in general other healthcare roles .

That is not to say you cannot improve but it is difficult ,you do get breaks or have the opportunity to take leave in between dental school and whilst working as a dentist.

In terms of travelling , whilst Australian dental courses are accredited in other countries and it is possible to work in UK , Canada etc (I'm not aware of the specifics of Singapore I believe certain dental schools are accepted to be of a sufficient standard by the MOE) it is challenging to transition specially if you are not from the area & getting employment can be competitive . In general I think the mobility whilst possible is not always realistic however if you are Singaporean then if it is possible to go back to Singapore and work than it could be attractive.

Another part I would say is that whilst the pay and the stability are good perks , I wouldn't base my decision solely on this as the course is very different to most general university degrees. You should conduct research because if you end up hating the profession you won't care about the perks as much. It's not simply just having a passion for science.

I hope this does help , whilst my advice is a little harsh I wanted to be as honest as possible.

Tomato

In terms of travelling , whilst Australian dental courses are accredited in other countries and it is possible to work in UK , Canada etc
UK used to recognise Australasian qualifications attained before 2001, but they no longer recognised directly from 2001 due to the EU policy. Since UK has left the EU now, I am not sure if the bilateral recognition has been resumed.

WholeMilk

Lurker
Hey, sorry to hijack the disccusion, but I need some help with entry into Dent and dont have post privileges yet.
I currently reside in Melbourne and have been looking to move interstate if I can secure a place for Dentistry. In regard to the undergraduate courses like those at UQ, griffith, Adelaide etc, does anyone know if its possible to enter with an already completed bachelors degree? Currently not a lot of info is out there that I could find. Whats the general GPA required for these unis? I'm sitting the UCAT in July

lolmed

Lurker
Hey, sorry to hijack the disccusion, but I need some help with entry into Dent and dont have post privileges yet.
I currently reside in Melbourne and have been looking to move interstate if I can secure a place for Dentistry. In regard to the undergraduate courses like those at UQ, griffith, Adelaide etc, does anyone know if its possible to enter with an already completed bachelors degree? Currently not a lot of info is out there that I could find. Whats the general GPA required for these unis? I'm sitting the UCAT in July
hey, im currently studying dentistry at adelaide, and yes it very possible to enter having completed a bachelors degree, or several. Several people in my class did enter through this route, and the rough GPAs that have been thrown around for these people, is the range of 6.5+, but there is no set cutoffs, it really depends on your UCAT score as well as your interview.

WholeMilk

Lurker
hey, im currently studying dentistry at adelaide, and yes it very possible to enter having completed a bachelors degree, or several. Several people in my class did enter through this route, and the rough GPAs that have been thrown around for these people, is the range of 6.5+, but there is no set cutoffs, it really depends on your UCAT score as well as your interview.
thanks, appreciate the reply

LMG!

MBBS IV
Administrator

There’s actually plenty of info available, including right here at MSO, neatly collated for you. I’d start here:

Cal

vibe
As a starting point, you probably would need a gpa of 6ish or equivalent to have a shot at getting into any dental degree across australia at all, and that 6 would need a very strong ucat, or interview etc. But it is very variable in terms of required gpa's for schools, so yeah as LMG! stated, I would begin by looking at that page :)

As a side note, People with completed degrees are considered equal to non-standard applicants in 99% of cases so there is no change between finishing a uni degree and having tertiary experience.

WholeMilk

Lurker
There’s actually plenty of info available, including right here at MSO, neatly collated for you. I’d start here:

Thanks Bud, only just found this forum. Didn't get the chance to look around so thought it'd be best to ask first. Really appreciate the help

Unluckydude

As a starting point, you probably would need a gpa of 6ish or equivalent to have a shot at getting into any dental degree across australia at all, and that 6 would need a very strong ucat, or interview etc. But it is very variable in terms of required gpa's for schools, so yeah as LMG! stated, I would begin by looking at that page :)

As a side note, People with completed degrees are considered equal to non-standard applicants in 99% of cases so there is no change between finishing a uni degree and having tertiary experience.
The only exception might be UQ since non-standards are not entitled to the bonus marks. But it's not clear if last year was a mistake.

Is56

I think some areas that you really have to consider is if you can cope with Dental school and if it suits your personality.

Dental School is quite a challenging process and is stressful along with this Dentistry is a career that again has some very stressful situations which are similar to a career in Medicine & unique to health careers. Stress is quite common in a a career in Dentistry and if you aren't able to work well in stressful situations then you'll have to consider if this is the right choice. I have known friends who were smart but bad at dealing with stress who eventually couldn't cope with Dental School/Medical school or others who have quit the career due to the nature of the work. This is something I would personally say that if your bad at handling for your own personal wellbeing it is better not to pursue a career in Dentistry & in general other healthcare roles .

That is not to say you cannot improve but it is difficult ,you do get breaks or have the opportunity to take leave in between dental school and whilst working as a dentist.

In terms of travelling , whilst Australian dental courses are accredited in other countries and it is possible to work in UK , Canada etc (I'm not aware of the specifics of Singapore I believe certain dental schools are accepted to be of a sufficient standard by the MOE) it is challenging to transition specially if you are not from the area & getting employment can be competitive . In general I think the mobility whilst possible is not always realistic however if you are Singaporean then if it is possible to go back to Singapore and work than it could be attractive.

Another part I would say is that whilst the pay and the stability are good perks , I wouldn't base my decision solely on this as the course is very different to most general university degrees. You should conduct research because if you end up hating the profession you won't care about the perks as much. It's not simply just having a passion for science.

I hope this does help , whilst my advice is a little harsh I wanted to be as honest as possible.
Thank you so much that actually helped clear up my thoughts!