Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Dentistry Entry Discussion and Questions

MedRad

yea, I did exactly that last year and they considered it 1FTE, so there are no problems there :)
Hi,

Did you do this because of ungraded passes on your transcript?

I am currently trying to figure out if the credit points associated with ungraded units will count towards my FTE through QTAC?

Thank you!

Hi, so I just got rejected from Latrobe university with an unadjusted atar of 99.95.
I'm a bit confused on why this happened, because the atar cut off for La Trobe was definitely not 99.95. I met all the pre requisites too...
I've called Latrobe to find out why I wasn't given an offer and they said it was very competitive this year. Very confused bc the highest unadjusted atar that was given an offer according to the pdfs were 99.80.

Does anyone have any idea of why this may have happened?
Thanks in advance.

Tomato

Hi, so I just got rejected from Latrobe university with an unadjusted atar of 99.95.
I'm a bit confused on why this happened, because the atar cut off for La Trobe was definitely not 99.95. I met all the pre requisites too...
I've called Latrobe to find out why I wasn't given an offer and they said it was very competitive this year. Very confused bc the highest unadjusted atar that was given an offer according to the pdfs were 99.80.

Does anyone have any idea of why this may have happened?
Thanks in advance.
If for some reason you cannot get an offer from La Trobe dent, will you think about UMelb dent (99.85 "guaranteed place" for DDS) or USyd dent (99.6 for an interview)?

Unluckydude

If for some reason you cannot get an offer from La Trobe dent, will you think about UMelb dent (99.85 "guaranteed place" for DDS) or USyd dent (99.6 for an interview)?
Yeah, tomato has a good point. UMelb dent and USyd are also more prestigious (not that it matters) and probably better organised. Plus you'll get to know people who are in charge of the specialty programs. On top of that, Sydney and Melbourne are more fun than regional Victoria.

Just be aware that you need to maintain a WAM of 80+ UMelb dent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im a nz applicant so ghe double degree for umelb dent is unavailable for me. And i did get an interview invite for usyd but i did not know that i would get such a high atar so i didnt prepare for interviews at all thus i wasnt offered a place… :(

Unluckydude

Im a nz applicant so ghe double degree for umelb dent is unavailable for me. And i did get an interview invite for usyd but i did not know that i would get such a high atar so i didnt prepare for interviews at all thus i wasnt offered a place… :(
That's unfortunate. UMelb also guarantees students with 99.00+ ATAR a full fee place, not sure if it is an option for you.

Tomato

Yeah, tomato has a good point. UMelb dent and USyd are also more prestigious (not that it matters) and probably better organised. Plus you'll get to know people who are in charge of the specialty programs. On top of that, Sydney and Melbourne are more fun than regional Victoria.
Yeah, studentsat the "old five dental schools" have more oppotunities to know the teachers for their preferred specialties.

Why kiwis cannot study the double degree for UMelb dent? I think the only difference to Australian students is that you have to pay the contribution up-front (i.e. you cannot apply HECS-HELP). Is there anything not shown in VTAC's webpages?

Caffeine

Why kiwis cannot study the double degree for UMelb dent? I think the only difference to Australian students is that you have to pay the contribution up-front (i.e. you cannot apply HECS-HELP). Is there anything not shown in VTAC's webpages?
The chancellor's scholar is only available to those who finished grade 12 in Australia if they are a NZ citizen

Tomato

The chancellor's scholar is only available to those who finished grade 12 in Australia if they are a NZ citizen
No, this is not the chancellor's scholar. This is a package offer for BBioMed/DDS. Please see the following VTAC info.

Edit: sorry, you have to type "dental" then you will see the course.

Caffeine

No, this is not the chancellor's scholar. This is a package offer for BBioMed/DDS. Please see the following VTAC info.

Edit: sorry, you have to type "dental" then you will see the course.
Sorry thought it was referring to the chancellor's scholar. Very steep costs though for the FFP path

vibkha

Lurker
Need some advice on dentistry applications and which unis are out of reach. So I graduated last year 2021 in NSW with a 99.85 and didn't do ucat (yes im dumb ik) and couldnt move interstate. Got the interview for usyd dent but wasn't prepared because I wasn't expecting so high so I missed out on that and cant reapply, I think there were over 90+ people and only around 10-15 offers :( Anyways I decided to take a gap year and sit ucat this year along with doing a biology course to satisfy LaTrobe's prerequisites. Also considering shadowing a dentist for a bit for some experience. I am definitely considering interstate now so I'll split it up state by state.

VIC
I called Melbourne university at least 8 times asking if I could apply for 2023 entry into a grad package with some saying yes and some saying no so i don't think the chances are high and cant be asked calling them again. For Latrobe there is no interview or ucat requirement so I am going to try and satisfy the bio prerequisite. I dont know if this is a good idea anymore since I have seen accounts of people with 99.8+ being rejected even though I read 99.8 was the cutoff for interstate last year in one of the forums? Also with the prerequisite would it have to be completed before I apply?

NSW
Charles Sturt, again less than 5 people gained entry via recent secondary education and reliant on ucat + interview.

WA
UWA will still let me apply for assured entry (6 years) however I don't know how many places they offer or how competitive it is. (needs MMI interview)

QLD
Checked out Griffith but I realised it is mainly for non-standards with <5 offers for recent secondary school leavers and it also needs a MMI interview. For UQ with EAS adjustment factors I could possibly get 99.95 however I don't know if that will happen or if EAS even applies to uq dent and I believe I cant apply for the subject incentive scheme. JCU is also competitive with the written application having a rural focus which prefers experience/volunteering in the field, none of which apply to me however it has many more spots compared to uq (close to double i think).

SA
I've heard Adelaide is quite reliant on interview and ucat so my atar is pretty much irrelevant and used as the final ranking method.

At this point I am seriously doubting whether I can get in and it will only be a bit clearer after UCAT. I don't really want to waste 3 years in a bachelors and do gamsat hoping for entry into only 3 unis with it being very likely to get a full fee place. So I think I may just start considering optometry or even med as an alternative not because it is easier to get into but because there are just so many more unis for it. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

Need some advice on dentistry applications and which unis are out of reach. So I graduated last year 2021 in NSW with a 99.85 and didn't do ucat (yes im dumb ik) and couldnt move interstate. Got the interview for usyd dent but wasn't prepared because I wasn't expecting so high so I missed out on that and cant reapply, I think there were over 90+ people and only around 10-15 offers :( Anyways I decided to take a gap year and sit ucat this year along with doing a biology course to satisfy LaTrobe's prerequisites. Also considering shadowing a dentist for a bit for some experience. I am definitely considering interstate now so I'll split it up state by state.

VIC
I called Melbourne university at least 8 times asking if I could apply for 2023 entry into a grad package with some saying yes and some saying no so i don't think the chances are high and cant be asked calling them again. For Latrobe there is no interview or ucat requirement so I am going to try and satisfy the bio prerequisite. I dont know if this is a good idea anymore since I have seen accounts of people with 99.8+ being rejected even though I read 99.8 was the cutoff for interstate last year in one of the forums? Also with the prerequisite would it have to be completed before I apply?

NSW
Charles Sturt, again less than 5 people gained entry via recent secondary education and reliant on ucat + interview.

WA
UWA will still let me apply for assured entry (6 years) however I don't know how many places they offer or how competitive it is. (needs MMI interview)

QLD
Checked out Griffith but I realised it is mainly for non-standards with <5 offers for recent secondary school leavers and it also needs a MMI interview. For UQ with EAS adjustment factors I could possibly get 99.95 however I don't know if that will happen or if EAS even applies to uq dent and I believe I cant apply for the subject incentive scheme. JCU is also competitive with the written application having a rural focus which prefers experience/volunteering in the field, none of which apply to me however it has many more spots compared to uq (close to double i think).

SA
I've heard Adelaide is quite reliant on interview and ucat so my atar is pretty much irrelevant and used as the final ranking method.

At this point I am seriously doubting whether I can get in and it will only be a bit clearer after UCAT. I don't really want to waste 3 years in a bachelors and do gamsat hoping for entry into only 3 unis with it being very likely to get a full fee place. So I think I may just start considering optometry or even med as an alternative not because it is easier to get into but because there are just so many more unis for it. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance :)
Hey mate, first of all congrats on that amazing ATAR. You are more than capable of getting into Dentistry, keep your head up. Just want to clarify some things. Your ATAR is competitive for Griffith, JCU and UQ (assuming any subject bonuses). Griffith treats both non-standards and graduates fairly and I can assure you there are much more than 5 spots for school leavers. Right now I would focus on your UCAT and get that as high as possible to increase your chances. Keep in mind Medicine has a very similar process to Dentistry where you are going to have to push through the hurdle of interviews + extremely high UCAT requirements.

Best of luck.

Unluckydude

VIC

NSW

WA

QLD

SA

I think 99.85 is worth saving and it is reasonable for you to take a gap year since you didn't do UCAT in 2021. It seems like you've done your research, but here are a few things to note:

- Unimelb: You need to enrol at the University of Melbourne immediately or be granted deferral in the year following Year 12. It might be too late now, but were you able enrol at UniMelb and apply for a deferral?
-La trobe: the atar cut off normally isn't that high. It's not clear if last year was just an exception or the new norm.
-Griffith: Your atar is definitely good enough. It all comes down to UCAT and interview.
-UQ: They have 99 as a cut off, then offer are made based on UCAT.

vibkha

Lurker
Thank you guys so much for the advice so far, feeling a bit less stressed now! Unfortunately I didn't apply interstate for 2022 entry as I had to stay within NSW. Also just received written confirmation from UQ:
"You will also need an adjusted ATAR of at least 99.00 (or equivalent selection rank).
Domestic students must undertake the UCAT ANZ in the year of application. Eligible applicants are then given offers in order of their UCAT aggregate score from all 5 sections - from highest to lowest - until all places are filled. To be competitive for entry (ie have a good chance of getting an offer using the lowest UCAT aggregate score to receive an offer in 2021 as a guide), you would need a score of at least 3659."
But I am still a bit confused because last year it also said 99 as the ATAR threshold yet only people with 99.95 gained entry unless they changed the admission process from last year? Also with UQ since they consider SJT is it also out of 900 because from what I know you are only given a band.

cocodreams

Thank you guys so much for the advice so far, feeling a bit less stressed now! Unfortunately I didn't apply interstate for 2022 entry as I had to stay within NSW. Also just received written confirmation from UQ:
"You will also need an adjusted ATAR of at least 99.00 (or equivalent selection rank).
Domestic students must undertake the UCAT ANZ in the year of application. Eligible applicants are then given offers in order of their UCAT aggregate score from all 5 sections - from highest to lowest - until all places are filled. To be competitive for entry (ie have a good chance of getting an offer using the lowest UCAT aggregate score to receive an offer in 2021 as a guide), you would need a score of at least 3659."
But I am still a bit confused because last year it also said 99 as the ATAR threshold yet only people with 99.95 gained entry unless they changed the admission process from last year? Also with UQ since they consider SJT is it also out of 900 because from what I know you are only given a band.
Bands are something they do in the UK i believe. Not in australia

A1

Rookie Doc
But I am still a bit confused because last year it also said 99 as the ATAR threshold yet only people with 99.95 gained entry
A bit of historical facts will help you understand this. UQ Dent admission steps had been : by Selection Rank first, then by UCAT score.

- Before 2020 : Qld used the OP system where OP1 = Selection Rank 99. Since other states' ATAR 99+ was equated to OP1, high or low 99s were all equal SR 99 for the UCAT step.

- 2020 (2021 intake) : Qld changed to using ATAR, resulting in Selection ranks 99.95, 99.90 etc. By Selection Rank first meant only the 99.95s made to the UCAT step. (I did point out this potential quirk earlier but UQ didn't listen to me)

- 2022 intake : UQ Dent changed the wording to "(The) program has a minimum selection rank for entry" (this minimum SR being 99.0) then UCAT, it's back to working the same as before 2020.