Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Dentistry Entry Discussion and Questions

Hey does anyone know approx when griffith and adelaide dent sends out their interview offers?
As per the Adelaide dental admissions guide 2025, interview offers for domestic students will be sent out from 24th October 2024. I'm sure someone else will chime in for Griffith.

All the best mate.

also just wondering if griffith dent also go by the "20% UCAT, 40% MMI, 40% ATAR" weighting for offers, the same way that adelaide BDS does?

Thank you so much for that information. I'll pass it on to him. Also, he's also considering dentistry. Would the dental Unis (so LaTrobe, Adelaide, UQ, etc), use the 6.55 or 6.7 GPA? or would that get converted into an ATAR score? Do you happen to know what UCAT would be required for the dental Unis as well? :)

Also, he's also considering dentistry. Would the dental Unis (so LaTrobe, Adelaide, UQ, etc), use the 6.55 or 6.7 GPA?
All these schools are undergrad med/dent, they don't use so you can ignore GEMSAS GPA.

would that get converted into an ATAR score?
Just about every school converts GPA to Selection Rank, which looks like ATAR, to rank against school leaver applicants.

Even when a school has a separate pool for uni-students vs uni-students they also convert GPA to Selection Rank because an applicant's sub-1FTE GPA is worth less the same of 1+FTE. (One exception is WSU doesn't need to convert, they set the GPA hurdles as what GPA for sub-1FTE, what for 1+FTE, no need for Selection Rank).

I have to leave the UCAT question to our Dent gurus to help.

Hey Guys,

I start my BSN with JCU this July, with the goal of using my GPA to apply to dent next year and have a few potentially stupid questions I hope someone can answer.

- How does rurality affect JCU dent entry? I've lived in a MM zone 2 area my entire life so I am considered "rural".
- I know that having less than 1 FTE year of study is a detriment, but when is this timeframe measured? when applications open in August 2025 I will have completed 7 subjects (due to midyear entry into BSN being offered at 3 subjects for the first semester), however when offers are dispersed in January 2026, I will have completed 11.
- How Big of a factor is experience working in a clinical setting (ie: clinical placements during the BSN, & I have a family-friend dentist who will let me shadow them for a while)? Should I go out of my way to get more time in clinical settings?
- Although the JCU admissions team has informed me via email that a 5.75 GPA is considered competitive, I am aware that it is merely the bare minimum to not have your application immediately thrown into the paper shredder. What would be a genuinely competitive GPA for non-standard Rural entry?

All these schools are undergrad med/dent, they don't use so you can ignore GEMSAS GPA.

Just about every school converts GPA to Selection Rank, which looks like ATAR, to rank against school leaver applicants.

Even when a school has a separate pool for uni-students vs uni-students they also convert GPA to Selection Rank because an applicant's sub-1FTE GPA is worth less the same of 1+FTE. (One exception is WSU doesn't need to convert, they set the GPA hurdles as what GPA for sub-1FTE, what for 1+FTE, no need for Selection Rank).

I have to leave the UCAT question to our Dent gurus to help.
Thank you so much for your reply. I'll pass this on to him. So for the GPA, would they use the one out of 4 he'd get from Monash Uni? If so, do you happen to know what's considered competitive? He told me his one is 3.545 currently, and it may go up to around 3.58. Would that be good?

So for the GPA, would they use the one out of 4 he'd get from Monash Uni? If so, do you happen to know what's considered competitive?
The TACs use non-GEMSAS GPA out of 7. For Monash out of 4 you simply add 3 to the GPA (provided there has been no Fail).
I'll have to leave the competitive GPA & UCAT to the Dent gurus.

I know that having less than 1 FTE year of study is a detriment, but when is this timeframe measured? when applications open in August 2025 I will have completed 7 subjects (due to midyear entry into BSN being offered at 3 subjects for the first semester), however when offers are dispersed in January 2026, I will have completed 11.
I read that the TACs do a GPA update early January for use in the offer rounds.
If your 11 subjects' results are available to the TAC before January you'll be counted as 1+FTE.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Back