Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Dentistry Entry Discussion and Questions

mahish

Lurker
Hi guys, just wondering ... are there still places available for dentistry at Griffth for 2019 intake for International students. I've a GPA of 7 for my first year doing Biomed at UOA...

Hi all,

I'm hoping to learn more about how CSU's regional location adjustment scheme works. While I don't live in a rural area, their website states that my postcode makes me eligible for five points added to my selection rank.

Does anyone know how this would relate to UMAT scores? I got 81st percentile (a bit below the high 80s they've required in previous years), so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

jiaxing

Hi all,

My name is Jiaxing and I’m in my final semeter of my post-grad degree. I got 53/50/66 (79%ile) this year in the UMAT and my GPA is currently about 6.25.

I am contemplating to apply for Medicine and Dentistry all over Australia and NZ, but I am unsure about the EAS scheme and how it can benefit my chances of being offered an interview and/or an offer.

Due to some severe family circumstances which have occurred over the last 5 years, I will be applied under 3 EAS schemes.

Can somebody provide some help as to how the EAS can benefit my chances and where I should apply?

Hey Jiaxing,

I'm in a pretty similar position to you, in that that I'm also applying for EAS and got a UMAT in the 81st%ile. While I haven't found anything with concrete evidence, I do think it may be worth applying for CSU, as their website states that they do use EAS to give bonus points, but they don't seem to care too much about ATAR/GPA (I could be wrong, but this is just how I'm interpreting the information supplied on their website).

As a result, I feel it's possible that they use EAS for UMAT, or at least final offers?? While it could just be my wishful thinking, it's definitely something to consider if you're still having trouble finding anything

Good luck! If you find anything that could help the both of us, please pm me :)

Q3

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought once you had a record of tertiary study you can no longer apply for EAS?

jiaxing

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought once you had a record of tertiary study you can no longer apply for EAS?

The EAS brochure says Year 12 or equivalent. So, I take that to mean ATAR or equivalent, which would be GPA?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
The EAS brochure says Year 12 or equivalent. So, I take that to mean ATAR or equivalent, which would be GPA?

Educational Access Schemes - UAC

This would make me inclined to say you’re not eligible. There are multiple references to year 11/12 marks being affected for a period of 6 months plus. I’ll have a bit more of a read.

ETA: this might save you; “Some institutions will consider EAS applicants with a record of tertiary study. International students cannot apply for EAS. ”

You probably need to contact the relevant unis directly to gauge their positions, particularly for Med/Dent entry. Or do an application and get official feedback that way.

Q3

I read in a WSU transparency pdf that EAS did not apply to anyone who had studied at the tertiary level. If I can find it I will post the link. Anyway, it does not matter, just fill in the EAS form on UAC and then it will send you a list of all courses and institutions that you are eligible for.

firstsnow

Did anyone transfer into the dental science at csu after doing a different degree at there uni for one year? i heard that you don't need umat if you do that. If you did, what course did you do and what was your gpa?

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
Hey firstsnow, you're probably better asking CSU directly, unfortunately, as I've never seen anyone post internal transfer scores for CSU dentistry on here.

Last edited:

Troy92812

I'm applying to Queensland University for Dentistry (Bachelor of Dental Science (Honours). I just wanted to double check that for Dentistry we only have to apply through QTAC and put our preferences in, and we don't have to make a separate application to the university? Getting somewhat paranoid I'll forget something and automatically not be eligible D:
I am a NZ citizen with UMAT (62/60/64; 94th %) and a predicted ATAR of at least 99.55- What are my chances?

Thanks guys

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
I'm applying to Queensland University for Dentistry (Bachelor of Dental Science (Honours). I just wanted to double check that for Dentistry we only have to apply through QTAC and put our preferences in, and we don't have to make a separate application to the university? Getting somewhat paranoid I'll forget something and automatically not be eligible D:
I am a NZ citizen with UMAT (62/60/64; 94th %) and a predicted ATAR of at least 99.55- What are my chances?

Thanks guys

Yep, ensure that you enter your UMAT credentials into QTAC too. You should get in with those scores, congratulations!

Troy92812

Yep, ensure that you enter your UMAT credentials into QTAC too. You should get in with those scores, congratulations!
Thanks Yamster! I just checked my QTAC account and I can't find my UMAT number anywhere! I can't remember whether I put in my UMAT number or not, but would QTAC email me if I was missing something? I tried calling them twice, but no one was picking up either. Is there any other method of contacting them?
Thank you so much :)

Hi Yamster! I just checked the QTAC website and it said we didn't need to enter our UMAT details in? Could you please confirm this? Thanks so much :)

Last edited by a moderator:

canUhearMe?

A 5.3GPA will make it very difficult to be considered for any dental school however if you come from a rural background and are willing to practice rural dentistry, I'd look at JCU as they may look at your application which is very important. I've heard of students getting into JCU with a GPA below 6 in the past, however this may have changed significantly as dental schools are getting more and more competitive.
You may also want to do another year of uni somewhere and get a GPA of 7 which will open up a few more options.
Best of luck!

I agree, in the past La trobe and CSU require competitive UMAT scores for Dent entrance whilst JCU requires a GPA typically above 6 with a strong portfolio. A GPA would probably be okay as a tie breaker with a strong UMAT score. Although with the recent UCAT change, La Trobe and CSU do not appear on the UCAT list of participating uni's. With that in mind, a shift may be seen to GPA + portfolio. A GPA of 5.3 will likely not cut it if that is the case, I would consider further studies to boost or replace your GPA.

ajs604

What could I do to boost my GPA whilst working? Ideally I am looking at doing something next year to boost my GPA whilst working four days a week. Obvisouly if I was to get into dentistry I understand it's a full time commitmen for five years, but would like to maintain an income in case I don't get in. Would a first year of a random degree help? Ideally something I can do online.

dkae

What could I do to boost my GPA whilst working? Ideally I am looking at doing something next year to boost my GPA whilst working four days a week. Obvisouly if I was to get into dentistry I understand it's a full time commitmen for five years, but would like to maintain an income in case I don't get in. Would a first year of a random degree help? Ideally something I can do online.

Ideally, you would go to another uni to get a new gpa. Boosting a 5.3 would be quite difficult. If your really after it, i recommend all or nothing keep work to very minimal, but i understand everyone's circumstances are different. Good luck :)

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
As always, the advice on here by myself and many other members is that if you choose to do additional study that you should always do study for its own merits and NOT with the GPA as the primary goal.

That is, if you are going to study, do study that would be useful to you even if you never got into medicine or dentistry (and then of course by all means try and score well). This way you get a return on your investment that goes beyond marks.

ajs604

Thanks I have a place on a sonography postgraduate diploma next year if I can find a placement so that's something. I didn't include my honours in my GPA, so apparently I am sitting at 6. Hopefully I can boost it to a 6.5 at least with a post dip.