Dentistry hand skills

Discussion in 'General Dentistry Discussion' started by awesome123, Oct 11, 2017.

1. awesome123

awesome123 Member

I was very excited when I was offered dentistry last year and was really enthusiastic about starting it this year. I did quite well in BDS1 in terms of my academic performance but have had continual difficulties in sim clinic and clinic (due to poor manual dexterity and hand-eye co-ordination) and so was advised to take a leave of absence till next year. I was wondering what activities can improve these abilities and is it realistic to expect an improvement in these skills over the 3 month break until next year's intake or should I just pursue another career?

2. acbard9

acbard9 Regular Member

That's so devastating to hear mate :(. I'm not sure if I can help, but aren't sports (e.g. tennis/table tennis) a really good way to develop hand-eye coordination? I'm also sure there are exercises you can do every day to improve it. Perhaps your GP or a local Physiotherapist may help you out? I would suggest not to rule out anything. I wish you the best of luck!

I think if you really want to do Dentistry, keep trying to improve, as you always have the chance to do a different career later :).

awesome123 likes this.
  3. pi

pi Junior Doctor Moderator

Junior doctor
    I'd even play video games (games that involve more than button bashing, so not an MMO!) or actually get some of the dentistry equipment at home to practice with (hopefully you can get it cheap-ish from somewhere!). Hand skills can be learnt with persistence and patience :)

DDest and awesome123 like this.
  4. Sassysep

Sassysep BDS

Typing (i.e. on ur computer) is really good to improve dexterity. So is things like playing instruments (guitar, piano). Also try using chopstick and try pick up jellybeans, M&M's etc It doesn't have to be anything crazy but simple things like this could really help.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    awesome123 likes this.
  5. kjz

kjz Member

I really feel sorry for you. Seriously you have to make sure if you are just slower than your peers or your work's quality is poorer than them even you have tried your best. If only slower but quality is good, then you don't need to worry too much. What you need to do is to practise more and speed up to an acceptable level. If your situation is the latter, it can be a bit problematic because dentistry has a lot of procedure assessments during the years. Nevertheless, you should ask yourself if you really love dentistry. If the answer is yes, it is worth to try hard to break through this bottle neck. Otherwise you may think about to pursue other career paths ASAP.

awesome123 likes this.
  6. Ruth

Ruth Maderator Moderator

Dentist (Otago 2016)
    excuse me pi pls dont disrespect MMOs

From talking to tutors, it is very very rare that a person has to drop out because of their hand skills. All the above suggestions are really great ones, additionally I would recommend working on mirror vision since thats a massive part of dentistry/hand skills. Something cool can be carving teeth out of a bar of soap or similar. You will get there!!! It just takes practice.

Quacks, awesome123, DDest and 2 others like this.
  7. awesome123

awesome123 Member

Ok, so after talking to the dentistry program advisor, I was told it would be very difficult to improve my clinical skills to the satisfactory standard should I return to dentistry. I guess it is a bit disappointing but it's better to find out now than in later years. So I've been thinking of back-ups (I don't know whether or not this is the right place to mention this lol). I was considering something that involves Maths as I excelled in it in year 12. I'm tossing between Engineering and Actuarial Science but not too sure what I would be better suited to. Any thoughts?

8. Ruth

Ruth Maderator Moderator

Dentist (Otago 2016)
    That's a real shame to hear :( They wouldn't let you continue and go into research or something? Although that might not be what you're interested in...

Sorry I can't give you any advice on those pathways, thank you for updating us though. Have a lovely summer and good luck x

9. pi

pi Junior Doctor Moderator

Junior doctor
    Really sorry to hear that :(

Although we don't have a lot of info on engineering and actuarial studies, biom may be able to shed some light on the former?

For what it's worth, actuarial studies was something I was considering towards the end of Year 12 myself. What drew me to it were fairly superficial reasons, such as the substantial salary, but also that maths was involved and I too was a fan of maths. From friends who have since completed the course and are now working in various financial firms - it's a tough degree and a tough job. Not only is the degree intensive with a high fail rate (at least at Uni Melb), but the exams one must sit after graduation to become a fully qualified actuary are difficult. Some degrees, and it's worth looking into this, may give you an exemption from the Part 1 exams if you complete an Hons year, which can help employment prospects, as often the firm you're working with sponsors you to take these exams. For the sake of completeness, the reason I didn't opt to study this was because I decided medicine would better suit my interests, and I didn't back myself to be as good as maths as the job needed me to be.

Best to discuss this with a current student as my knowledge is from 6 years ago, or better still, someone working in the area if you can. Forums such as ATAR Notes (e.g. Actuarial studies) or whirlpool may have some further information on the field, worth perusing those forums.

10. biom

biom Regular Member

Bad luck but good that you had the discussion and know where you stand.

There are many options in engineering including biomedical engineering which links to the health sciences. There are also reasonable employment prospects in quite a few of the engineering disciplines. If you love maths then this is a real help. Engineering is imo one of the hardest degrees you can find at uni so you definitely need to have an interest!

If you think you might be interested then I suggest you have a look some of the uni websites and get a bit more for a feeling for what sort of engineering might be of interest to you. Happy to chat via PM if you would like to discuss further.

pi, DDest and Ruth like this.
  11. Stuart

Stuart Moderator Moderator

Hi,

May I ask which school you are from?

12. DDest

DDest UAdel BDS I

I believe that awesome123 is from the University of Adelaide.