Discussion: Medicine Degree Content

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by *A1, Oct 11, 2018.

1. *A1

*A1 Lurker

Hi all,

I have just recently started undergrad premed (I assume you dont call it med until postgrad) that I was wondering if there are people out there who would be happy to answer medical degree related questions. Or maybe this forum allows that which I don't know because I have just recently joined and I only see specific areas such as GAMSAT or UMAT or Entrance.

But I have a few questions that I would love being answered.

1. After finishing your meds degree, how much do you feel you know about the human body? (specifically all the terminologies. To name a few: interleukin 1-50 and their receptors) or is wiki still your best friend? - The reason im asking is to get a feel of what a medical doctor would know. So do you remember every general practice drugs and common illnesses and know how they work (Not generally how it works but specifically what proteins are involved, what mechanisms are involved and all the steps until infection and sickness.) or do you forget some of the how it works part but still are able to treat those conditions because you remember mostly the corresponding drug to a condition or do you forget most of how it works?

2. For medical students being accepted into postgrad meds, how would you rate your experience on the difficulty of entering postgrad medicine? I wanted to see if someone finds it easy.

3. To your opinion, how much do you think your GPA mattered comparing to GAMSAT if you need to take one and of course your interview? (This is a question for doctors too because I wanted to know what it is like for a person with the bare minimum GPA but an above average GAMSAT and or interview would compete against someone with bare minimum GAMSAT but a better GPA. You get the idea.

4. Intelligent people vs. less intelligent people.
    I am sure most of us if not all of us doing meds are yielding good academic results. But I would love to get an idea of the magnitude of intelligence needed in order to become a successful graduate or even successfully entering postgrad medicine.
    If you think intelligence do play a role, can you define what to you is intelligence? (High IQ, hard working, thinking outside the box, read between the lines, good problem solving skills... etc)

PS. thanks for your time, if my wording may be interpreted to have a double meaning, I am sure it does not mean anything offensive and I hope it stays that way. My dream job, my passion my hobby is to become a doctor and for that reason, I wanted to see if there are characteristics or trends of people who becomes a doctor and those who cannot no matter how hard they try.

2. govpop

govpop Regular Member

1. it kinda depends what specialty you do, whether you're in the middle of sitting exams, if you do research, and how interested you are as to how much basic science you know behind what you do. In general though your knowledge of receptors, specific interleukins etc will be pretty superficial.

4. Hard to know. what makes a successful medical student is not really what makes a good clinician.

*A1 and applecider like this.
  3. Perplex

Perplex Moderator Moderator

1. To quote your specific example, I don't know which circumstance you'd need to know interleukins and their receptors...."Knowledge" about the human body is not knowing random facts. Medical school trains you to appreciate the basic science and understand how it underpins the pathophysiological basis of disease, and how we can exploit it therapeutically.
    No to wikipedia. Use sites like Uptodate and BMJ for accurate clinical information.
    Understanding how a drug works is important, but understanding the correct context to use it in, and important exceptions are pivotal things as well.

2. Subjective.

3. I believe that GPA shows a sustained effort over many years, and aptitude - skills which are important in medicine. I can't really make sense of the rest of your quesiton

4. Errr??? Talk to a good clinician. Medicine is not dry science, it requires knowledge of how to interact with people.

*A1 likes this.