Discussion: UMAT being replaced by UCAT

Discussion in 'UCAT' started by Kezia, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Kezia

Kezia New Member

Hi everyone,

I just read about the switch from UMAT to UCAT for those taking the exam in 2019 for 2020 entry. I sat UMAT for the 2nd time this year and improved by 50 percentile but it is still not enough to apply for WSU or Newcastle as I only got 54 for Section 1. As an incoming second-year uni student, I also have the option to sit the GAMSAT next year and re-sit UMAT again. But seeing that UMAT is now being replaced, would I be better off sticking to GAMSAT rather than sitting the newly introduced test? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! :)

2. Crow

Crow Moderator Most Active 2018

While at this stage we have very little information regarding UCAT other than what is available on the website, the same principles will apply as they did to UMAT. To maximise your chances of gaining entry into medicine, you should sit both tests (GAMSAT and UCAT) if you're in the position to do so - especially considering you may find you score better on UCAT than UMAT.

3. Lear

Lear Monash BMedSci/MD I Gold star winner

New admissions test announced for future healthcare students
    FAQ
    FAQs | UCAT Consortium
    Test Format
    Test Format | UCAT Consortium
    Preparation questions
    Preparation | UCAT Consortium

LMG! and maniacfish like this.
  4. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD
    Moved from another thread:

Abstract reasoning, which looks a bit like S3, has 55 questions to answer in 13 minutes
    > Test Format | UCAT Consortium

That's 14 seconds per question. Good luck 2019 kids :D

5. Lear

Lear Monash BMedSci/MD I Gold star winner

Try out one of their free preparation materials and show off your skills :D

hopefulgal likes this.
  6. entirety

entirety New Member

SO, we were the last cohort to sit the UMAT. They've been so quiet about it though. Also the practise questions (at least the ten or so I looked at) seem easier than the UMAT S1 imo... but 14 seconds???? Bye.

lo1699 likes this.
  7. Q3

Q3 Regular Member

Wow this is major. This should be very interesting. I think it will be so nerve racking to be the first cohort to have to sit an exam. I am curious as to what motivated this change. It says that the test is a reliable and valid predictor of med school performance, but that doesn't explain why it should replace the UMAT.

lo1699 likes this.
  8. hablaingles

hablaingles New Member

9. LMG!

LMG! Moderator Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

UTAS MBBS
    Also RIP LMG! #UMATmbassador

:eek:

squashed, Ruffle, maniacfish and 2 others like this.
  10. LMG!

UTAS MBBS
    Also, saying that and being that are very different things. I’m going to try and find some published articles. Do you know if any were quoted?

ETA: Flinders are not listed. I wonder if this means they are dropping standardised testing completely from their entry procedure?

http://www.ucatofficial.com/ucat-anz/universities/

11. Crow

Crow Moderator Most Active 2018

Yes, same goes for CSU, CDU and La Trobe! Big changes to admissions criteria coming.

LMG! likes this.
  12. LMG!

UTAS MBBS
    The whole point of ‘quotas’ is that they are numbered. For example, WSU has a 15 rural applicants minimum quota, so 15 rural applicants minimum will still get an offer from WSU. It won’t necessarily change a thing as far as I can see.

Josht4971 likes this.
  13. Josht4971

Josht4971 Guest

Does anyone else feel alot of pressure now to try and get in this intake. Cause we'll be heading into uncharted territories next year...

14. maniacfish

maniacfish Regular Member

yup, you're not alone there

15. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD
    On the positive side they could think if they don't get in this year with Umat then being a new different thing Ucat might give them better chances next year.

Crow likes this.
  16. liha

liha New Member

so anyone know about umat changing to ucat? what’s the main differences between the 2?

17. Q3

Q3 Regular Member

From the handful questions I have seen so far, UCAT seems easier content wise, but you are given much less time per question.

Edit: The questions I saw were another exam with the same name.

The quantitative reasoning of the UCAT seems to be have quite challenging questions.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  18. LMG!

UTAS MBBS
    Short version:

5 sections
    Computer-based administration
    Immediate results feedback
    Not (it doesn't appear) required by Flinders, CSU, CDU, or LaTrobe
    Somewhat flexible booking system - presumably candidates attend a testing centre at a convenient time
    ETA: Price information may be a result of MedEntry scrambling to convert their website, so ignore that part for now.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  19. Mana

Mana Registrar Administrar

Resident Medical Officer
    From a precursory look at the UCAT, it seems that this is the parallel between this and the UMAT:

Old section 1 UMAT → Verbal Reasoning, Decision Making, probably Quantitative Reasoning as well
    Old section 3 UMAT → Abstract Reasoning

Old Section 2 UMAT → gone
    Out of the blue → Situation Judgment Test

For those who are reading this for the first time, while the UMAT is different from the UCAT, it's rather unsurprising that at least some of the domains tested are conserved.

Going by this, if you wish to familiarise yourself with the old Section 1 and Section 3 questions for some good practice this may help with your efforts to prepare for this.

MSO's UMAT Questions is still there for anyone who wants to use the old MSO UMAT questions, although the Section 2 questions might be less relevant now.

Thoughts on the transition to the UCAT:

1. The first, and most concerning, thought to me is that there was a study in the UMAT that showed that there was a male preponderance for higher scores in Section 1 and Section 3 and a female preponderance for higher scores in Section 2. While these scores are on a large cohort level only, the difference was present and I believe statistically significant.

With the old Section 2 having no equivalent in the UCAT, I wonder if the male preponderance for marginally higher scores will be reflected in this, and whether it is appropriate to have a test that selects against any gender.

2. More accessibility to the exam via the internet/reliability of a non-paper test

To be honest, I think any improvement to the accessibility of the test is a welcome change. However the first warning sign to me is the fact that the provider of this test is Pearson Vue. For those not well versed in this this is the company at the centre of the RACP Basic Physician Examination kerfuffle earlier this year (goodness knows how they managed to get the contract with the UCAT Consortium...). Given the lack of stopgaps in that previous exam, and the fact that you can only take the test ONCE per year, I can see this going very, very bad (imagine what happens if you take the test and then your internet disconnects and doesn't reconnect until your allocated time is over!)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    liha, lo1699, Crow and 1 other person like this.
  20. LMG!

UTAS MBBS
    I've already seen one UKCAT journal article suggesting it may preference male applicants for UK Medical schools. I intend to look into this further.

ETA: Re. the internet connection issue you raise: as far as I'm aware (a friend's brother has completed UKCAT so presumably it will be similar here), you have to attend a testing centre to complete the test, you don't do it from your home.