Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Do I have a chance at Griffith's second round dentistry

licher

It turns out my atar was only 99.35 despite all the calculators saying 99.6 +/- 0.10
Having not performed well in umat as well (81), i'm left devastated with no idea of what to do
My main goal was to get into griffith's dental science course, and it said the cut off last year was 99.65, and I remember reading somewhere that it was 99.35 in 2015, I can't seem to find information on it's cut off for previous years.
Do these cut offs include second round offers or is it just the cut off for first round
Also what are the chances of the cut off dropping to about .35 because it jumped from that to .65 2015-2016 if I remember coorectly

A1

Rookie Doc
It turns out my atar was only 99.35 despite all the calculators saying 99.6 +/- 0.10
Having not performed well in umat as well (81), i'm left devastated with no idea of what to do
My main goal was to get into griffith's dental science course, and it said the cut off last year was 99.65, and I remember reading somewhere that it was 99.35 in 2015, I can't seem to find information on it's cut off for previous years.
Do these cut offs include second round offers or is it just the cut off for first round
Also what are the chances of the cut off dropping to about .35 because it jumped from that to .65 2015-2016 if I remember coorectly

I remember the official 2015 cutoff was 99.5 but it's very possible a late top-up offer could have gone to a .35
I don't think there will be a 2nd offer round proper but there will be additional offers when successful applicants decline, and top-up offers when some accept/enrol then withdraw very late, or don't even turn up.

licher

so the cut off they publish is the lowest atar offered an initial place, discounting any top-up offers?

A1: Yes I think that's the case, because for med Griffith has published 99.85 or 99.80 yet there were a few 99.75s who got top-up offers.

How do top-ups work? It's not a second round offer so will QTAC just randomly notify you if you've been offered a place when it become available?

I assume you'd still have to accept your second preference but allow for further consideration on your first offer?

A1

Rookie Doc
How do top-ups work? It's not a second round offer so will QTAC just randomly notify you if you've been offered a place when it become available?

Top-ups usually come directly from the uni after the TACs are done with the offer rounds. Since it's so late in the day the uni wants a quick answer, they call to check if you are still available to take the offer. Different to TAC emailing you an offer and giving you until so & so to accept or decline.

dkae

Yes I think that's the case, because for med Griffith has published 99.85 or 99.80 yet there were a few 99.75s who got top-up offers.

could you shed some light on GPA compared to ATAR is there a conversion, for example what is a 6.875 in ATAR? Thanks

licher

A1 do you have any idea around what time a very late offer would be offered? I don't want to create a false sense of hope whilst i'm waiting for something that isn't happening ahahah

A1

Rookie Doc
A1 do you have any idea around what time a very late offer would be offered?

Most late offers are made in the week just before semester starts, but some were 1-2 weeks after semester started.

could you shed some light on GPA compared to ATAR is there a conversion, for example what is a 6.875 in ATAR? Thanks

The info I have seen/heard of is all fuzzy. Some say 7.0=99.95, 6.5=99.5, 6.0=99.0...
Page 8 of this UQ doc > https://future-students.uq.edu.au/files/8838/UG_Entry_Options_2018.pdf
says 6.5+ = Rank 99 and there's a finer breakdown available if you ask UQ Admissions.
Then I've seen in this table 6.5+=99.5 which is plausible, but then (for 1-2 years of uni) 6.4-6.45 is a big drop to 98.5 . I don't know which one to believe more.

2n7i5xj.jpg

Hi A1, so if GPA 7.0 = 99.95 and 6.5 = 99.5 then my 6.75 would be 99.725?

I wonder if they use a logarithm as well or if the ranks are spaced equally like that. I don't know if that table's applicable for Griffith because if the maximum score is 99.5 then no one would have gotten into dent as a non-standard as the cut-off was 99.65, right?

licher: "Also what are the chances of the cut off dropping to about .35 because it jumped from that to .65 2015-2016 if I remember correctly"

Hi Licher, the score jumped up to .65 because the cohort was reduced from 140 students down to 80 making it much more competitive. In the other thread someone mentioned that they are going to cut-down places even more, so if anything, I think the cut-off will rise. In saying that, for your sake (and mine) lets hope it drops a bit (by some miracle)!

dkae: "could you shed some light on GPA compared to ATAR is there a conversion, for example what is a 6.875 in ATAR? Thanks"

I'm sure (pretty sure at least) you'll get in with that GPA!! Using my conversion based on A1's initial theorised conversion method, your rank would be 99.8375 (again, we're still unsure how the conversion method works exactly so this is just a guess).

Last edited: